How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-28-2004, 04:57 PM
DamN

Tranny Question

My transmission has been slipping lately in first gear, actually pilling out and thats with a 2000 rpm start, somebody told me it is either the Transfer Clutch or the Solenoid C. I am going to the mechabnic probably on friday, but my question is would it be cheaper to just rebuild the transmission and do a 4.44 gear swap or what else?

How much would i be looking at ? and what do you think would be the best choice for least amount of money?

Thanks

DamN
Old 09-28-2004, 09:10 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

In terms of cost, it'll depend on whether you can do the work yourself (or with other SVXers), or whether you have to take it into a mechanic.

If yours trans is slipping in 1st gear, that has nothing to do with the transfer clutch or Duty Solenoid C. That clutch and Solenoid control the transfer of power to the rear wheels. They have no effect on the 'solidity' of your shifts.

If you're getting slippage on the 1-2 shift, it probably means that your brake band needs to be tightened. It's located at the top of the trans on the driver's side and is located roughly where the firewall ends. It's very hard to get to, but much easier once the starter is removed along with the intake tube. It's held in place by a 17mm lock nut and the actual band adjuster sits on top of that lock nut and either a 7mm or 8mm wrench can adjust it (once the lock nut has been loosened).

-Chike

P.S. Btw, it's a lot easier and cheaper to find a used 4.11/4.44 trans than an SVX 4EAT. As a result, if your trans is one the way out, it would be more cost effective to upgrade!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 09-29-2004 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:13 PM

This pic of the 4EAT from Mr. Pockets' locker shows the location of the brake band adjuster. It's the thicker nob sticking up at the top of the trans.

Old 09-29-2004, 09:21 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

We tried doing the brake band adjustment on my friends car and what a pain in the arse! Very difficult to get too and the nut is so hard to move. Had to sit in the engine bay to get to it.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Yeah that is a real pain to do. No room to swing wrenches, hard to get both hands in the same place, can't see the lock nut or adjustment square stud have to put the wrenches on by feel and work blind. I put a square hole in a 12mm nut and that helped some. I am glad I got mine done.
Old 09-29-2004, 12:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: Tranny Question

Quote:
Originally posted by DamN
...actually pilling out and thats with a 2000 rpm start...
What does that mean? Peeling...as in spinning the front tires?
Old 09-29-2004, 02:35 PM
DamN

Thanks everybody for replies!

Earthworm: Yes, it starts spinning front tires, and also before that it takes it 1-2 seconds to move if i dont want to spin tires(as in less then 2000 rmp start and it makes a noise like soemthing is going to fall out of it) (i wish i could explain better but i am mechanically chalanges, sorry))

And thanks again!
Old 09-29-2004, 03:50 PM
DamN

one more question

i was just looking online and i found couple "Salvage Yards" sites etc, for the 4.44 gear swap what exactly would i need to get ? (how many miles is good on the parts) and what would be a good price for the parts?

Thanks again
Old 09-29-2004, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Yes, it starts spinning front tires, and also before that it takes it 1-2 seconds to move if i dont want to spin tires(as in less then 2000 rmp start and it makes a noise like soemthing is going to fall out of it) (i wish i could explain better but i am mechanically chalanges, sorry))
Are you familar with the 'manual' button on the side of your shifter? I've never heard of an SVX spinning tires in second gear, but if the manual button is pressed, you move off from a stop in 2nd gear and the car will feel very lethargic as a result.

-Chike

Old 09-29-2004, 04:21 PM
DamN

Yes, i am familular with the manual button, but i think i didn't say it right, my front tires spin when i move from a stop. So, stop, start going, tires spinning with a little gas given. So it's not 1 st to 2nd shift, its In 1st. It shifts to second without a problem....its the first gear thats a problem
Old 09-29-2004, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Yes, i am familular with the manual button, but i think i didn't say it right, my front tires spin when i move from a stop. So, stop, start going, tires spinning with a little gas given. So it's not 1 st to 2nd shift, its In 1st. It shifts to second without a problem....its the first gear thats a problem
Do you have an awd or fwd SVX? If it's an awd version, your front tires shouldn't be spinning like that on dry pavement.

-Chike

Old 09-29-2004, 05:03 PM
DamN

i got a 92 AWD, yeah, i know that they shouldn't be spinning........So what you think it is then?

thanks
Old 09-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You didn't put in the FWD fuse did you?

Your AWD clutches are possibly worn out. If you search you should be able to find instructions/details on a line pressure test for the transfer clutches.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:17 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
i got a 92 AWD, yeah, i know that they shouldn't be spinning........So what you think it is then?

thanks
The trans control unit, will detect that the front wheels are starting to spin and applies the transfer clutch to prevent the wheel spin. Your transfer clutch is not being applied.

As the mechanic said in the first place, it is the either the C solenoid assemble, the transfer clutch plates or both. It does not matter which, as they should replace both while the box is open.

It is not a big job, just the back of the box is removed, to replace the parts.

You should get them to adjust the band at the same time. One of the reasions that the gear box fails, is due to the lack of adjusting the band.

Harvey.
ps. or it is what David said

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:33 PM
DamN

Thanks Hurvey

Thanks alot for your intput guys, espacially thanks Hurvey, you wouldnt happend to know how much it would be to replace that would you(approximately)?