How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 07-23-2004, 06:03 AM
afsquid

fuel gauge

What's up with the fuel gauge? I now have to go by the odometer on when to fill up. Is there an easy fix out there? It's always showing lower than normal now.

afsquid
'92 grn lsi
Old 07-23-2004, 06:13 AM

It's apparently a typical SVX characteristic. Doubt there's any sort of fix. Nevermind the odometer; just note how many gallons the tank holds with the indicator at or near E and you'll have a reference point for future fill-ups.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:06 AM
red95svx

You may have a problem with a sending unit. My 92 gas gauge will read low for a while, then read correctly, then read low.......does yours do this? It is common for the needle to read lower than normal towards the bottom of the gauge. You'll notice that even when you hit "E" you've got a long way to go before you finally run out. Even when the low fuel light comes on you still have 2-3 gallons left.

Dave
Old 07-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Teh Geek

Send a message via ICQ to nsm484 Send a message via AIM to nsm484 Send a message via Yahoo to nsm484
Registered SVX
Oh so very true... As A Test on my 92 LSL, I ran 40 miles, on E,
BEFORE the Light came on. (40miles in-town traffic mind you)
I think its great that it hits E before your realy low... just so you never do run low! LOL.

Quote:
Originally posted by red95svx
You may have a problem with a sending unit. My 92 gas gauge will read low for a while, then read correctly, then read low.......does yours do this? It is common for the needle to read lower than normal towards the bottom of the gauge. You'll notice that even when you hit "E" you've got a long way to go before you finally run out. Even when the low fuel light comes on you still have 2-3 gallons left.

Dave

2002 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally [Nori]

1996 LSi Polo Green [Calista] - 18" Konig Incident's - Lived for awhile Now Selling
1992 LSL Dark Teal [Yori] (Rear Ended, Donor to Calista, and now gone)
1992 LSL Ebony Mica (Sold to svxcuseme)
Old 07-23-2004, 08:14 PM
The name's...

Send a message via AIM to Whoru465
Me too...

I think my guage is messed up as well. I've used about 1/8 of a tank of gas and only gone 36 miles. That sound whacked to anyone else?

'92 Pearl LS-L (sans Spoiler) #0993 Mfg. 5/91

"It says here, 'Breakfast any time'...
That's right...
In that case, I'll have the pancakes in the Age of Enlightenment..."
Old 07-25-2004, 08:39 AM
TonyShaleUK

Me too. I can fill to the brim, the gauge reads just below full. Then, as you drive, the gauge meanders and registers anything from bone dry to full and all points in between!

Is this the voltage regulator or the sender unit?

How easy to get to either unit to check?
Old 07-25-2004, 10:47 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Don't know what to say to Tony or Whoru, but I do recall reading previous threads on this subject, and have experienced the same symptoms as the gauge drops below the half tank mark.

I went to my new service manuals to see exactly what the layout is back there, and a couple of factors appear to contribute to the "wierdness". Firstly, the tank is a saddle tank, with a passthrough/under center section for the driveline, requiring not one but two metering or sensing units, one per side. The fuel pump resides in one side, and there's a "jetpump" in the fuel return line, that uses the flow of fuel back to the side the fuel pump resides in to transfer fuel continually from the other side of the tank, so that eventually all fuel is transferred to the "pump side". As a result, the signal from the two separate senders, "averaged" I assume, may vary as the level(s) in the tank drop. Hope that makes some sense. It would also appear that if one of the two senders is failing your readings would be off.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket

Last edited by RojoRocket; 07-26-2004 at 06:20 AM.