How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 05-29-2003, 05:14 PM
ALsvx

Dash Lights

While driving to work this morning I stopped at a light and the battery, “Stop Lamp” and “Brake” dash lights came on… when I accelerate they go out, idle they come back on??? Is this a symptom of the grounding problem (fingers crossed) or is the alternator going south?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-29-2003, 08:06 PM

It's normally a symptom of the alternator going out. Before mine finally died a final death I was able to twice make the lights go away by disconnecting the battery and briefly touching the cables together (not the battery terminals!!!!). I have no idea why this worked, but it was suggested to me long ago by a benefactor on this forum (whose name I've forgotten).

Note that if you have a big capacitor with an aftermarket stereo this is not something to try unless you just like scaring the bejesus out of yourself with sparks. etc.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:08 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Agreed on the alternator - Kim's did this also when it was going out.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:53 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I agree on the spark show!! Not recommended.
Old 05-30-2003, 08:13 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
I had the same problem even after I had my alternator rebuilt for $80. The problem would go away after fiddling with the connector on teh back of the alternator. It seemed that the connector's other half, inside the alternator, was making poor contact. After fussign with it for a year, I just went to Murray's auto and bought a rebuilt unit for $200. No problems since then. BTW, this does play hell with the battery. 'Cause while those lights on your dash are on, you're running on battery power alone. This is ok on a strong battery but on a weak one, you may not be able make it to your destination. This is not to say that rebuilding your alternator wouldn't work. Only in my case there was an inherent problem.

Just some food for thought.

Ali

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 05-31-2003, 11:07 PM
ALsvx

Thanks all,

It was the alternator…

I cleaned the connectors and battery terminals before changing it out,,, same dash lights at idle… Changed the alternator (from my parts stash…), no dash lights… runs great .

Bill