Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Competition Motorsports

Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 PM

Registered SVX
Another First Time, Now With Videos

This time it was autocross, and I actually did pretty well. I got 3rd in class with a very, very, blown strut, and a tranny that doesn't like me. I consistently ran better than my friend with a GC Impreza with a bunch of suspension mods even though we ended up with the same best time. We went into it assuming he would kick my ass, so I was shocked that my times were about 2 seconds quicker. I beat out a 450hp S4, and a Rouch Mustang, and finished in the top 3rd overall, so I'm was pretty happy. The car was much more balanced than I thought it was going to be, even with a couple off camber corners. If I came in too hot, give the brake a little tap and she would come right around. What's killing me is understeer coming out of the corners because of the gearing, but I think a 5spd swap would help a lot for that.I can imagine that with some stiffening you can make this a good track car. Maybe there's hope for the laguna after all....

I'll see if I can find some pics, although I think it probably looked like it was going to flip every time I took a left hander... stupid struts

Edit: The only mods I have that would help would be my tires, and I have to say, the Hankooks worked better than I expected them to.

Last edited by crash_2365; 07-31-2010 at 08:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX
Re: Another First Time

Don't so much blame the struts - the springs are your enemy!
Old 07-31-2010, 04:30 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_2365 View Post
This time it was autocross, and I actually did pretty well. I got 3rd in class with a very, very, blown strut, and a tranny that doesn't like me. I consistently ran better than my friend with a GC Impreza with a bunch of suspension mods even though we ended up with the same best time. We went into it assuming he would kick my ass, so I was shocked that my times were about 2 seconds quicker. I beat out a 450hp S4, and a Rouch Mustang, and finished in the top 3rd overall, so I'm was pretty happy. The car was much more balanced than I thought it was going to be, even with a couple off camber corners. If I came in too hot, give the brake a little tap and she would come right around. What's killing me is understeer coming out of the corners because of the gearing, but I think a 5spd swap would help a lot for that.I can imagine that with some stiffening you can make this a good track car. Maybe there's hope for the laguna after all....

I'll see if I can find some pics, although I think it probably looked like it was going to flip every time I took a left hander... stupid struts

Edit: The only mods I have that would help would be my tires, and I have to say, the Hankooks worked better than I expected them to.
Do you have nevins bar?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 07-31-2010, 07:21 PM

Registered SVX

Nope, stock strut, springs, and sway bars. I found a couple videos, so I'll get them on youtube.

And when your struts are completely shot in the front, and as heavy as these cars are, everything suspension related is my enemy right now haha

EDIT:

First Run : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABd_OLdsqI
Third Run:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSw-wTB7eRw < Personal best for the day

Impreza Run (best friend driving like an old woman):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGROWOa2Rtg

Last edited by crash_2365; 07-31-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 12:00 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash_2365 View Post
Nope, stock strut, springs, and sway bars. I found a couple videos, so I'll get them on youtube.

And when your struts are completely shot in the front, and as heavy as these cars are, everything suspension related is my enemy right now haha

EDIT:

First Run : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zABd_OLdsqI
Third Run:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSw-wTB7eRw < Personal best for the day

Impreza Run (best friend driving like an old woman):http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGROWOa2Rtg
I suggest you get that bar the improvement in handling is nice. Not sure how it does in Autocross but I had a huge improvement and had alot of fun thanks to that bar on The Dragon.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 08-01-2010, 02:05 PM

Registered SVX

Well this car is hopefully getting sold once I fix the struts, so if I do anything, it's going to be on the laguna. And I like the balance of the car right now, I feel like it might be too tail happy with just a rear sway bar, I'd need to do the front too. The biggest thing I think I could do to help it right now would be to swap in a 5spd. The auto is just killing me right now.

Oh and I ran today too. They changed the course around and I finished 1st in G Stock. Not bad for only my second time .
Old 08-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Registered SVX

My question is what is hanging from the front passenger tire at the end of the second video?

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted

Last edited by Cam; 08-01-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Either way the manual can help ... ask me how I know.

Old 08-01-2010, 07:09 PM

Registered SVX

It's the rubber fender trim thingy, the strut being blown was making it rub pretty bad.

And go ahead, rub it in
Old 08-01-2010, 07:25 PM

Registered SVX

Oh, i see. I won't rub it in, i just saw it and was like, "there is no way a belt was exposed in the tire".

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 08-02-2010, 04:29 AM

Registered SVX

I meant wicked and his 5 speed not rubbing it in.

Maybe I should stop being lazy and actually start using quotes
Old 11-09-2010, 08:50 PM

This is kind of one-sided coming from the guy that sells the swaybars, but I think you really would be happy and impressed with the balance of the car when equipped with a 22mm rear bar.

It is my only main suspension mod, and I took a 25mph corner at 75 the other day. It makes the car feel very planted and stable, and allows the rest of the suspension to do it's job even better! It will take a lot of understeer out of your front end.

Compliments any suspension setup from mild to wild! Drive one and you'll believe!

Ok, sorry for the shameless advertisement.

I'm glad you're having fun with your car! Now go get things fixed up on it and go out and keep winning!

All that said, I don't even have any bars for sale right now, so it's honestly not that I'm trying to push them just to get rick quick.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!

Last edited by Nevin; 11-09-2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:28 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

I found when I was doing Snow-X (Auto-X but on a snow track) it was helpful to hit the "Manual" button and put the car in 2nd gear for the whole run. The SVX, especially with stock gear, has long enough legs that you can carry second for a long time, and still enough low end to pull out of corners decently without waiting for the trans to downshift, spool up and go. Obviously starting would be a little different, the SVX will throw 4 rooster tails in second in the snow, but you'll probably want first to get going.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: