Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2001, 07:51 PM

Actually there are cheaper alternatives to alter the MAF signal. The APEXi Super AFC will do the same thing. It is $400. The local shop in town is selling them for $360. This is not the problem though.

Robert is running the turbo as an atmospheric compensator of sorts. It works fine at 1 mile high and 3 psi boost which is close to what you see at sea level (which is 2.75 psi greater). There is simply not enough fuel capacity in the injectors. I was hoping that the rising rate fuel pressure regulator was adjustable to run a higher rail pressure, as well as provide for more rail pressure under boost. You would need to run gobs of pressure though to get this thing going.

The other option is Infinity injectors (good for a about 350 HP) or nismo injectors, capable of 500+ HP or 420 HP with an 8:1 compression. I will go the nismo route since I will also do engine management and bigger fuel pipes, and an intercooler. Future mods may include lowering the compression and the nismos will give me more flexibility.

If you go to infinity injectors, install a non CA ECU (you should be able to get one used for next to nothing from someone on the yahoo site that installed a powerchip), and an adjustable MAF, which is about 350, or use the APEXi AFC. I believe this will work. This should have been a part of Robert's kit. Hopefull he will figure this out. From what he has told me his MAF was a custom job. All he needs now is to adjust it to bigger fuel injectors.

I don't expect you to run out and try this. I know that you are frustrated and tired of being an unwilling subject of a SVXperiment. Good luck with the RS
Old 03-04-2001, 10:00 PM
kastle

Uhh chuck, who are you talking at / to? If me, Robert has my SVX and is removing the turbo in favor of the Impreza, as you know.

I'll probably end up selling the failed SVXperiment (as you call it). Maybe get a DSM. Maybe wait a year or two to see if the EVO comes over. Maybe even get a WRX when they offer a STi version.

Old 03-04-2001, 10:48 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Hey Kastle

I am hoping to enter the twin turbo project this summer. My builder wanted to know if you used an intercooler with your project.

Thanks
Chris
Old 03-04-2001, 10:59 PM
kastle

No intercooler Chris. Never got it working well enough to need one.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:30 PM

intercooler

You will need an intercooler, engine and fuel management, injectors and bigger fuel rails. I will be doing a A/W intercooler due to the limited space, unless your builder puts the turbos in the fenders. Then you could do a front mounted air to air. We would need to get a bumper made for this. You should also install an oil cooler. twin fender mounted set up would be awesome.

I am going to go with halitech hardware, to adjust the timing, detonation sensing, lambda correction, fuel injector control, and eletronic boost control. This way I can set up a couple of programs. One for 93 octane and one for 105 octane. On race day I should be able to make 420 HP. Normal street somewhere between 300 and 350. This would be fine with me.
Old 03-04-2001, 11:34 PM

RE: Kastle

Yes I was referring to you. You might be able to hop up your RS to kick but on an STi. You do have more displacement and higher compression. haliteck hardware tuning and two programs (93 or 105 octane) could make the RS a bruser on race day. I am getting a WRX, and I can tell you, some of the modified RSs are faster. Good luck. Keep in touch.
Old 03-05-2001, 10:06 AM
kastle

Check. I'd go with the TEC II PEM rather than the Haltek. It's got a lot more features and is generally more tunable.

Old 03-05-2001, 02:38 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Oh goodie

more input!
Old 03-05-2001, 02:47 PM
Rev Hard

aftermarket ECU

Do you like your trans? Do you like your alternator?
do you like yuor AC?

your factory ecu controls these.....

Do you like having a knock sensor?

Aftermarket ones (haltec i know for sure, Tec II im allmost positive of) do not have knock sensor input.

FYI,
PAUL!
Old 03-05-2001, 03:41 PM
raylesk

Lightbulb tec 2

Guys check out this site and the forum on it--they are using a tec2 along with the stock ecu on the 2.5 subies so I am sure if we tried we could figure out how to do it--maybe he would help with some advice--he seems very helpful. I think the tec2 is the best for the money these days.
Sorry I forgot the link before
http://www.vishnuperformance.com/

Last edited by raylesk; 03-05-2001 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:44 PM

RE: Tec II and Halitech

Actually the Halitech claims to do knock sensors. The old ECU could be left in for AC control and other systems. A WOT signal needs to go to the TCU, to alter the stall RPMs. The Haliteck also lists supporting subaru. I will check out the Tec II and compare it to the Halitech. Thanks for the advice.

Chuck D.
Old 03-08-2001, 05:25 PM

Vishnu performance ECU

I checked out the vishnu performance Tec II PEM. It is actually an electromotive ECU. This would work well with our engine, in fact Rebello racing uses this ecu to tune our engines for racing and aircraft. They had already recommended it. The only reason I was going with Halitech is because it is inexpensive and supports subaru systems. I like the parallel operation idea they have with the new hardware in parallel with the stock. I wrote them a detailed e-mail requesting their assistance in developing a fuel rail with nismo injectors, and hardware for the SVX turbo. Hopefully I will get a response.

Thanks for the pointers

Chuck