Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
Just fyi everyone, I'm still waiting to go to the dyno and fine tune the maps both for with and without nitrous (going to do them on the same day) but I've been driving around on a chip with 11% more fuel and the 7400 rpm limit (not that I see it in anything but nuetral--my car is automatic) and it feels MUCH better both in power and driving pleasure.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:55 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by longassname
Just fyi everyone, I'm still waiting to go to the dyno and fine tune the maps both for with and without nitrous (going to do them on the same day) but I've been driving around on a chip with 11% more fuel and the 7400 rpm limit (not that I see it in anything but nuetral--my car is automatic) and it feels MUCH better both in power and driving pleasure.
Great! Cant wait
phil
Old 02-26-2004, 03:52 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Michael,
Great news! Keep this up and you're going to end up in the SVX Hall of Fame along with Huck!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 02-26-2004, 05:40 PM
The One

Send a message via AIM to mranderson
so let me see if i have this right. Right now you are just working on the stage 2. When can we expect to see some of the stage 3 super goodness?
Old 02-26-2004, 05:58 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by mranderson
so let me see if i have this right. Right now you are just working on the stage 2. When can we expect to see some of the stage 3 super goodness?
After I've finished stage 2 and get a production run of memory adaptors made I'll turn my attention to getting all the information on the website and getting stage 1 and stage 2 for sale. After that I'll turn my attention to stage 3. The reason this thread is here is because stage 1 and 2 are in the final works right now. It won't be long.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

After I've finished stage 2 and get a production run of memory adaptors made I'll turn my attention to getting all the information on the website and getting stage 1 and stage 2 for sale. After that I'll turn my attention to stage 3. The reason this thread is here is because stage 1 and 2 are in the final works right now. It won't be long.

Michael,
I've got a 4W dyno up here (AlteredAtmospheres), so I'm willing to be a "test mule" for your non-nitrous chip - if you need one.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
My Locker
Old 02-27-2004, 07:09 AM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide

Michael,
I've got a 4W dyno up here (AlteredAtmospheres), so I'm willing to be a "test mule" for your non-nitrous chip - if you need one.
-Bill
Back before I purchased an extra ecu and ordered the tsb rom from subaru I asked if any of the many members driving around on the tsb rom could lend me it to read. I didn't end up needing to borrow one as I ordered it to make %100 sure I had good base code but only one person aggreed to do so if I needed. For that reason immortal_suby gets the first and only free chip to examine. But if you purchase one and want to run on the dyno to verify your performance increase please do and share your results with everyone.
Old 02-27-2004, 08:45 AM

More Dumb Questions

Quote:
Chuck,

My appologies for being grumpy. It's just frustrating after spending so much time pouring over code to try and keep up with informing everyone on progress and finding out what everyone wants to handle questions that were covered by previous posts.
No problem on the grumpy. I sometimes know how you feel! I was just interested in your opinion on whether raising the rpm would improve the power output of the engine. I didn't see the other posts, but I think you answered my question. I'm sure a cam kit would be necessary to utilize those benifits.

The second stage of my project may include a more aggressive cam profile, with a higher rpm band. My question was also to determine how you were able to trick the ECU/TCU to raise the rpm limit.

To make this work I don't know if it would be necessary for me to trick anything other than the TCU, since I am running stand alone engine management. I need to talk to Maestro about their re-programming ablilities with the stock computers. I need some tricks!

Also, in your tuning experience, are there any conditions causing a fuel cut with the existing stock setup? I'm wondering if I need to power the fuel pump through the electromotive hardware. I don't want to if I don't have to.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:

Back before I purchased an extra ecu and ordered the tsb rom from subaru I asked if any of the many members driving around on the tsb rom could lend me it to read. I didn't end up needing to borrow one as I ordered it to make %100 sure I had good base code but only one person aggreed to do so if I needed. For that reason immortal_suby gets the first and only free chip to examine. But if you purchase one and want to run on the dyno to verify your performance increase please do and share your results with everyone.

Oh, sure...Matt gets all the good stuff

Seriously, I'm all in for running the chip and reporting back results. Can you PM me with cost, etc. info.
Thank.
-Bill

My Locker
Old 02-27-2004, 11:45 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Re: More Dumb Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by cdigerlando

No problem on the grumpy. I sometimes know how you feel! I was just interested in your opinion on whether raising the rpm would improve the power output of the engine. I didn't see the other posts, but I think you answered my question. I'm sure a cam kit would be necessary to utilize those benifits.

The second stage of my project may include a more aggressive cam profile, with a higher rpm band. My question was also to determine how you were able to trick the ECU/TCU to raise the rpm limit.

To make this work I don't know if it would be necessary for me to trick anything other than the TCU, since I am running stand alone engine management. I need to talk to Maestro about their re-programming ablilities with the stock computers. I need some tricks!

Also, in your tuning experience, are there any conditions causing a fuel cut with the existing stock setup? I'm wondering if I need to power the fuel pump through the electromotive hardware. I don't want to if I don't have to.

This safety feauter (of raising the fc) is not only for people wanting cams, but for all 5speeds that will be using his nitrous kit. The stock fuel cut at 6600 is hard to find....you cant tell on the stock tac exuactly when you are there. bouncing off FC and spraying nitrous(Wet or dry) is a recipe for disaster! Im sure that longassname thought of that as well.
phil
phil
Old 02-27-2004, 11:58 AM
Just some dude.

Re: More Dumb Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by cdigerlando

No tricks here. That is all bs. I reprogram the ecu to do what we need it to. The rpm limit is just part of the programming and I can change it just like everything else.

As far as the cam, he's not getting a custom cam ground. He's just going to move his exhaust cams over a notch. Say's there's a company doing it to our motor for aircraft use all the time. In the case of the svx I'm still an automatic fan so I'm personally not too interested in it myself but like the other posts says I don't want the guys with 5 spds running the nitrous kit to hit the fuel cut and have their afr start bouncing around.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:07 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Is there just a chip that is for plain and simple NA... I am not all about Nitrous, never have been... I figure that If I were to get anything I would get just a chip that kives me a little more of a kick in the pants when I step on the gas... Something that would be good with the mods that I have already??... Do ya have that kinda thing??

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
Is there just a chip that is for plain and simple NA... I am not all about Nitrous, never have been... I figure that If I were to get anything I would get just a chip that kives me a little more of a kick in the pants when I step on the gas... Something that would be good with the mods that I have already??... Do ya have that kinda thing??
Yes, that's stage 1. $179.99
Old 02-27-2004, 12:14 PM
From POST-***** to LURKER

What sort of "Limits" are associated with Stage one??? ie. Redline, hp, torque, mileage....

Thanks

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 02-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Just some dude.

Quote:
Originally posted by GreenMarineSVX
What sort of "Limits" are associated with Stage one??? ie. Redline, hp, torque, mileage....

Thanks
You'll have to wait for the final tuning to get real #'s. I'm tuning both stage 1 and stage 2 on the same day at the dyno. It won't be long. I'll post here when it's all ready and add the info and links to purchase to the website. Each stage will have complete before and after dyno plots posted so you can see the actual differences.