Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-26-2002, 08:00 PM
svxeno

Re-torquing the lugs to straighten a rotor?!? If I had read (or heard) this anywhere else I'd never believed it.

Randy (Convinced) ii
Old 11-27-2002, 12:44 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno
Re-torquing the lugs to straighten a rotor?!? If I had read (or heard) this anywhere else I'd never believed it.

Randy (Convinced) ii

I would not have believed it myself if I hadn't experienced it. Now all I need is a cheap fix for the brake fade.

Andy
Old 11-28-2002, 06:30 AM
nevermind65

Brake Fade

I'm not sure wha brand of pads you are using, but if you want to get rid of the brake fade, I can make a suggestion.

Try using a brand of pad called Axxis. If you really want a serious pad, they make a line called PowerMax, or you can just get the Deluxe pads. I use the Deluxe because they don't squeal and I get no brake dust. The PowerMax will give you brake dust, but no squeal.

After I installed them, I could actually outbrake the anti-lock. It would leave a mark on the road from the wheels locking up before the antilock kicked in. I called Subaru and talked to a tech. He basically told me that I need to replace them with "factory" pads to make the antilock work as it should. I laughed.

Needless to say, you can bring the car down from 100mph numerous times and the braakes won't fade. The rotors might warp, but the brakes won't fade.
Old 12-10-2002, 10:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
where

where w ould i find these brake pads???any ideas are greatly appreciated
Old 12-11-2002, 04:30 AM
nevermind65

brake pads.

If you want the Axxis Power Max, you can call Summit Racing at 1-800-230-3030. They don't list them, but they carry that line of pads and they can get them for you. Just call up and they will get the part number and everything.

If you want the Deluxe version of the pads, you will have to do some hunting. I can give you a place and a phone number, but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. The place is Car Parts Warehouse. Phone 1-216-676-5100. I am pretty sure they have a toll free number, so you might want to call, ask for the number, then call back. When you call back, ask for Chris. Tell him Ron sent you. He'll know as soon as you tell him it's an SVX. Remember out-of-state gets no sales tax charge.
Old 12-11-2002, 04:33 AM
nevermind65

oops! forgot....

Car Part Warehouse carries rotors and calipers for the SVX also. Pretty good price. Front was $50 each, and I believe the rear were the same. He has 2 lines for the front and rear. Get the better rotors for the front, and the cheapies for the rear. The better rotors for the rear are not made correctly and you will end up sending them back. They are a vented rotor and try as you might, they won't fit. I spent 2 days trying to make them it and unfortunately, it just wasn't going to happen.
Old 12-11-2002, 07:07 AM

i take it

that the powermax are the best ones to get correct???how much more are they than the other ones you mentioned??those other pads and rotors that you mentioned how have you liked them???
Old 12-11-2002, 08:55 AM
nevermind65

all the pads are manufactured by Axxis. They have a PowerMax line and a Deluxe line. I have never used the PowerMax line on my SVX. They create brake dust, and I never need that much of a brake pad for the small amount of driving I did. I always used the Deluxe. They had no dust and they stopped massively better than the factory pads or some of the other aftermarket brands.

I just put the PowerMax on my wifes Integra. The front were $50 and the rear were $39. I also put them on my parents Impreza. The front were $45. That is just about what I paid for the front Deluxe pads for my SVX.

The rotors worked good. I would rather have had a brand like Brembo, but they have yet to make them. If you really want to make them last, buy them and have them slotted and Cryo-hardened before you put them on. Now you are talking some serious braking power.
Old 12-11-2002, 11:30 AM

where

where would you go about gettin them hardened and what not???
Old 12-11-2002, 11:48 AM

Re: where

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
where would you go about gettin them hardened and what not???
Here is one location near me, but there are others around, especially where there is an aerospace industry nearby.

http://www.onecryo.com/motorsp.htm
'80 Honda CBX in-line 24 valve 6 cylinder