Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum

Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Black Swan

Road Tests

Still being converted to the idea of an SVX but there seems to be a general lack of information about the car when it was in production. Can anyone give me a link to any road tests, UK spec if possible so when I start to visit cars in ernest this weekend I have a good idea of what I should be seeing.

Is the likes of Autotrader the best place to start looking? They seem to be thin on the ground so lots of miles on my Elise to go see, which is not a problem but if I know what to ask first I can minimise wasted trips.

Cheers all and perhaps see you at a rally soon.

Peter
Old 08-16-2005, 09:14 AM
Phil & Belha

http://www.geocities.com/jamsvx/articles.html

The Autocar "Better than a Jaguar XJS" review on page 4 of James' site is a road test of a UK model.

Here's a tip, check the seatbelt labels to find out the actual year of manufacture, often these cars have sat around unsold. I've seen a 91 car which is shown as first registered in 94 on the paperwork.

If it's an import, check whether it has a rear fog light fitted and whether the speedo is in mph. Bear in mind that most imports lose a few miles from the clock during shipping.

When looking at them, pay special attention to the gearbox. Check the fluid and pay attention for slippage when driving. Check the history to see whether the gearbox has been fixed.

Having had a quick look at Autotrader, here's a few comments.

A silver 94 Jap Import at Oakdale. £3995. My guess is it's an S40-II anniversary model. If so then it will have cloth seats and a grey dashboard that is not to everyone's taste. Just a guess.

A red 93 UK model at Taylors. £4995. Like all UK models, it will be high spec: leather interior, sunroof, aircon, cruise etc.

Another silver 94, £3250. For some reason they've used a brochure picture rather than showing the actual car. I wonder why.

A claret 92 Jap Import at Plennum. £4895. This looks like a version L, fully loaded with 4 Wheel Steer, leather, etc. Definitely worth a look.

A black 97 UK model £7500. One of the last ever, high spec, all the bugs fixed.

A silver 93 UK model in Croydon £2695. Looks tidy, but it's been there for a while. They may be willing to drop the price to get rid of it.

A black 96 at Neil Simpson. £5995. Can't tell much from the Photo except it has nice BBS wheels. Worth a look.

Has anybody been to see any of these?
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-16-2005 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:01 AM
Black Swan

Looking Good

Thanks for all the info, will get out Autoroute tonight and see which ones I can get to over the weekend.

Question, where do I look to check the transmission fluid?

Thanks

Peter
Old 08-17-2005, 04:29 AM
Phil & Belha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan
Question, where do I look to check the transmission fluid?
There is a dipstick, low down at the back of the engine compartment on the passenger side.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/b3lha/28653.jpg

Please give us your opinions on the cars that you look at.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-17-2005 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:27 AM
Black Swan

3 down, 2 to go

Hi All, spent yesterday visiting 3 prospective cars south of me, 2 off autotrader, 1 off ebay. Great day as weather good so roof off the Elise and the added bonus of seeing some nice cars. In order of viewing:

Black over black 1997 reg (1996 build) at £7500. Drove very well good changes clean red fluid on origional gearbox. Good paintwork and refurbed wheels. Clearly well loved and 73k genuine miles. Due for a major service and cam belt, advised £450+.

Black over pearle white, Oct '95 reg, (1992 build), £4000 reserve. 103k miles, new gearbox at 82k, fluid clean and red. Some minor paint damage and a bumper scuff N/S/F and wheels need work. Poor A/C, needs rocker cover gaskets and rear brake pads.

Black over black genuine 1996 car £5995, trade. 113k miles with expected wear on stearing wheel but generally good inside and out EXCEPT - rear valance has been cut about to fit Max Power dustbin size rear pipes that sound bad from outside and just awfull from inside. The "nice BBS wheels" turn out to be well curbed Halfords specials with budget tyres, but from a distance they look fine. They have offered to return the tailpipes to standard and see what can be done to the valance. Also the tranny fluid looks to be standard motor oil, certainly not red, but clean and the box has been refurbished. The CD changer is also missing from the boot, though there is a single slot head unit in the dash.

Off up north to look at a balck over red and black over claret today, will add details on return. Happy to have your comments on any of the above.

Cheers

Peter
Old 08-21-2005, 02:54 PM
Black Swan

5 cars 550 miles

Sunday headed north:

Black over red 1993 reg, 1992 build, 71k £4995. Very un-loved, lots of little dings and broken switches, no history from 7500 to 59k and non standard wheels.

Black over Claret, 1993 reg, 1992 build, 78k, £2990. Good service history and mostly one owner, number of paintwork issues but good interior. Tranny fluid clean but not very red. Gearbox was "slow" and present owners solution was to buy a "quick shift" device from Small Cars in US which has solved the issue I was told.

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen

Peter
Old 08-22-2005, 05:52 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Home thoughts from abroad....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Swan
Black over black 1997 reg (1996 build) at £7500. Drove very well good changes clean red fluid on origional gearbox. Good paintwork and refurbed wheels. Clearly well loved and 73k genuine miles. Due for a major service and cam belt, advised £450+.

Price is high, car seems to be "real". With a good dealer warranty, I would strongly consider this car at 6.5 to 7K

Black over pearle white, Oct '95 reg, (1992 build), £4000 reserve. 103k miles, new gearbox at 82k, fluid clean and red. Some minor paint damage and a bumper scuff N/S/F and wheels need work. Poor A/C, needs rocker cover gaskets and rear brake pads.

If you believe the miles, ignore the build date. New gearbox will hold if you have a transmission cooler. Aircon can be recharged, wheels refurbished. At 3.5K this could be a nice car.

Black over black genuine 1996 car £5995, trade. 113k miles with expected wear on stearing wheel but generally good inside and out EXCEPT - rear valance has been cut about to fit Max Power dustbin size rear pipes that sound bad from outside and just awfull from inside. The "nice BBS wheels" turn out to be well curbed Halfords specials with budget tyres, but from a distance they look fine. They have offered to return the tailpipes to standard and see what can be done to the valance. Also the tranny fluid looks to be standard motor oil, certainly not red, but clean and the box has been refurbished. The CD changer is also missing from the boot, though there is a single slot head unit in the dash.

You don't want this car! If gearbox oil is brown, this means wrong oil[catastrophe] or persistent overheating [Apocalypse Now!] Walk away.
Sunday headed north:

Black over red 1993 reg, 1992 build, 71k £4995. Very un-loved, lots of little dings and broken switches, no history from 7500 to 59k and non standard wheels.

Unrealistic price for an uncared for car. Walk away.

Black over Claret, 1993 reg, 1992 build, 78k, £2990. Good service history and mostly one owner, number of paintwork issues but good interior. Tranny fluid clean but not very red. Gearbox was "slow" and present owners solution was to buy a "quick shift" device from Small Cars in US which has solved the issue I was told.

HHmmmmmm. Could be a good car. If it is still on original gearbox[service record should tell], then you may be buying a good car that requires a gearbox rebuild. Budget £1800. Quick shift device works very well, but may have been put in to curb "flaring", over-revving between gears, a sign of clutch wear in the box. Could be a good car at the right money, you would be safer to walk away.l

Your thoughts Ladies and Gentlemen

You need to say if they are UK models or Japanese imports. As a general rule, I would consider the UK cars, with all gizmos, worth maybe 500 to a thou more than the same JDM year.

Peter
Thoughts in red, Peter. UK owners may disagree on the difference between Japanese and UK models. Don't rush into a deal, unless you have a real gem for half nothing. The cars tend to sit in the showrooms for months. Buyer's market.
Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-23-2005, 12:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
I agree with Joe, just what I was going to say. No need to rush.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954
Old 08-23-2005, 05:02 AM
Phil & Belha

I agree with everything Joe said, especially the ones to walk away from. Just a couple of things to add.

Cam belt on the black 97: Use it as a bargaining tool by all means, but there's really no need to rush changing it. The engine will not suffer any damage if the belt breaks.

As Joe said, it's a buyers market, so make your first offer an absurdly low one and negotiate upwards. I once opened at 3000 for an SVX that was priced at 5000. The dealer told me he couldn't take less than 3400. So that gives you an idea of how much they might be willing to discount in order to make a sale.

This one appeared on ebay recently, looks quite nice:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4570226418
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II

Last edited by b3lha; 08-23-2005 at 07:14 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
This one appeared on ebay recently, looks quite nice:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=4570226418
Very nice, could well be worth a look. (A little concerned about the 2 litre engine )

Velour interior and foglight under bumper = import

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If I would be a young man again and had to decide how to make my living, I
would not try to become a scientist or scholar or teacher. I would rather
choose to be a plumber or a peddler in the hope to find that modest degree
of independence still available under present circumstances.
-- Albert Einstein, The Reporter, November 18 1954

Last edited by Andy; 08-23-2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:41 AM
Black Swan

Thanks All

Thanks for the comments. All the cars I looked at are UK models, I was going to look at an import on Sunday, but could not meet up in time, this is claimed to be a'93 car, black over claret, 56k, 4 wheel steering at £4895.

The 96/7 car at £7500 is a private sale (as are 2 and 5).

First enquiry at insurance shows an import at 50% premium through my broker. Am I looking in the wrong place? Elise (Group 17) = £360, SVX = £430, Import = £640!

Can not decide if I should go down to Kent where there are a couple, '92 and '94, Adrian Baker and ST Cars. Anyone have any comments on these?

Cheers

Peter
Old 08-24-2005, 06:29 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The one on eBay looks nice to me too. JDM as Andy says. Lack of leather seats partly compensated by BBS wheels, if you like 'em.

I agree with Phil about making a pretty low offer. Yours might be the only offer they get to haggle with.

At £7500 the black car is overpriced. Or it could just be overoptimistic. You are not trading in, cash deal, you are not enjoying dealer warranty etc, so go in HARD as Phil suggests. Possibly five and a half might be a realistic market price for it, but it's probably well cared for and loved by the owner, so he/she is valuing it high.

Not sure about the two you mention. I think the Adrian Baker one is for sale a long, long time. I'd be careful there. You may find if you do a search on here, that somebody on the network had problems with that car, and traded it in. Caution.

Know nothing about the other you mention, but if I was in your shoes, I would be looking first at UK cars and only consider imports at realistic or bargain prices.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-24-2005, 07:48 AM
Phil & Belha

I see the black 97 has been dropped to £6995 on Autotrader. Maybe they've been reading Joe's comments.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
Old 08-24-2005, 08:20 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3lha
I see the black 97 has been dropped to £6995 on Autotrader. Maybe they've been reading Joe's comments.
Hey, Phil..

What would an Irishman know about English prices, anyway?

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-25-2005, 01:26 AM

Hi Peter

Switching from a Lotus Elise to an SVX will be a real difference.

I just bought my '94 model in February and must realize that the prizes here dropped drastic within the last six month. I did spent 9.000 Eur on the car, another 3.500 on modifications (plus 1.500 because I hit a pole, but thats a differnt story) - now it is worth only 7.000 - 8.000 Eur. (silver, only 35.000 miles, some dents and scratches)

Therefore I would recommend take the best car with low milage you can get and negotiate hard. If you have any doubt about the condition, walk away.

A good original condition is really worth some money and gives you a well balanced car. That even applies to the stereo, to the wheels, tranny, exhaust, etc. ... maybe not for the brakes. If you have any major repair or want to get back to original, it is really expensive and you will never get the money back.

Furthermore I would only look for a '94 build car or later since Subaru fixed then a few bugs in the tranny, not only for the US models.

However, there are still afew improvements to think about
tranny oil cooler (have it installed when a major service is due and have them change all fluids)
slotted rotors and steel-braided brake lines (if available in UK)
smallcar-grille - it lets more air through, needs some work before it looks ok
repaint original rims (they tend to lose the paint at the edges)
tint rear window
re-enforce back of driver seat (not expensive, even when done by a professional, but good for your back)

I hope that helps to make up your mind

Last edited by Radar; 08-25-2005 at 01:31 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: