Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 04:20 AM
devonsvx2

Unhappy SVX Caught fire - part 2

Hi all.

Thanks to everyone who has written in response to my incident.

The insurance company have now decided that the rear diff seized and the friction thus caused the fire. The ins. co. are cleaning the underside of the car and replacing the rear brakes that were damaged by the fire, BUT will not repair the diff as they say the seizing caused the fire and insurance does not cover mechanical breakages!

What a load of rubbish.

So i need your advice -
1. sell the car as it is? How much would i get for a 1992, with 129k on clock but recon gearbox only 1 yr old and full respray 6 months ago and full service hostory with nearly 12 months mot?

2. get it fixed?

Advices greatly appreciated.

Regards

Ian
Old 03-24-2004, 05:24 AM
crow_road75

Re: SVX Caught fire - part 2

Quote:
Originally posted by devonsvx2
The insurance company have now decided that the rear diff seized and the friction thus caused the fire. The ins. co. are cleaning the underside of the car and replacing the rear brakes that were damaged by the fire, BUT will not repair the diff as they say the seizing caused the fire and insurance does not cover mechanical breakages!

What a load of rubbish.
Hi,

I'm assuming that your insurance was fully comprehensive? It sounds to me like they are trying to dodge paying out for the vehicle. This is standard practice from insurance companies, I'm betting that they would have to write the car off and pay you the full insured value.

I'm not a lawyer, but from dealing with the B*****ds in the past would do the following:

1. Check that your policy document EXPLICITLY STATES that mechanical components are not covered - for the above statement to be true it needs to.

2. Write them a formal letter stating that you believe that the failure of the part and resultant fire were caused by accidental damage - this is what your policy covers you against, and that any repair should correct the vehicle to a roadworthy state. A repair to a state other than roadworthy would invalidate their own insurance policy terms.

3. That if you are not satisfied, you will be taking the matter further with the insurance ombudsman, and seek legal advice regarding misrepresentation of the original contract.

They should take a bit of notice. In any event, it can't hurt, unless you are especially fond of the company!

Good luck,

Jason
--