Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-07-2009, 08:57 PM

How do you remove the SVX rear bumper

Well ive basically removed 100000 bolts and I STILL cant get the rear bumper cover off. Is there a trick to it or something? Some hidden bolts? I have no idea someone please help and maybe take a picture and circle where they are, im trying to to prep this for paint and I have a new bumper as my stock one someone tried to fix with bondo (FAIL)

PLEASE help!

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: How do you remove the SVX rear bumper

Well take the carpet out and you'll see 4 big grommet plugs, 2 on each side. Remove the caps and undo the 4 bolts. After that pull the side trim back a little bit and remove the screws holding the side of the bumper on. After that their might be a couple small screws bolts on the bottom, its been too long since I did this so it's a little hazy. Once all bolts/screws are removed tilt the bumper up and release it from the hooks and your done.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM

gahhhhh.... thank you sir.

Crazy SVX and sticking bolts in dumb places

1992 RHD WRX: EJ20G, 16G, Cusco Coilovers, Wilwood 4pot/2pot brakes, Defi Genome 60mm gauges, Exotic speed downpipe, 3.5" A'PEXi spec GT catback
Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_paynter View Post
gahhhhh.... thank you sir.

Crazy SVX and sticking bolts in dumb places
A lot of Subarus have bumper mounts like that. We've got a '92 Loyale in the shop now that is getting clipped, those bumper brackets become really fun when the car is wrecked.
Old 07-07-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
A lot of Subarus have bumper mounts like that. We've got a '92 Loyale in the shop now that is getting clipped, those bumper brackets become really fun when the car is wrecked.
Really eh? See Impreza and legacys just have 4 big bolts under the car, MUCH easier

Old 07-07-2009, 10:03 PM

The Loyale might be like that in the rear, that end isn't wrecked so I didn't check, but the front is like the SVX, except the bolts are on the side of the instead of the top.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 PM

Registered SVX

ya i'm not looking forward to taking my front bumper off to repaint lol
Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
ya i'm not looking forward to taking my front bumper off to repaint lol
Front was actually pretty easy. I got the front off in about 15 mins with a phillips, a 10mm socket wrench, 10mm wrench and a flat head. Did I mention it was mt first time trying and I was in grass with no jack haha

Old 07-08-2009, 09:55 AM

Did you pull the bumper and the bumper cover off together? Pulling them both off together is the easy way. If I remember right, there is a 10mm bolt on each side where it meets the fender by the wheel well and 4 17mm bolts under the hood.
Old 07-08-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
Did you pull the bumper and the bumper cover off together? Pulling them both off together is the easy way. If I remember right, there is a 10mm bolt on each side where it meets the fender by the wheel well and 4 17mm bolts under the hood.
No I took off just the cover. 2 at the fenders, 10 under the headlights/grill, 4 in the air dam, only 4 that need to be undone under the bumper, and 2 pop-clips.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:34 AM

If you remove it all together, the headlights don't have to come out.