IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2003, 01:05 AM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
Quote:
Originally posted by ensteele93
Maybe you could just drill some holes in the floor and that way the water wouldn't just sit there! Sorry, I had to do that. Hope you can find the leak. That is very frustrating to keep trying things and not get it solved. Did you take the seats out to get the carpet out of the car? Just wondered.
I dug out the insulation around one of the lowest drain plugs, and drilled 3 small holes in the low point around the plastic plug. If water does accumulate, it will drain out. I did pull the passenger seat out, and lifted the carpet, and it was saturated with water, we had 2 days of sun here in Vancouver, so I left the doors open, and dried out the carpet as much as posible.
I'm going to have another look inside the door with the door skin off, and see if indeed the water is travelling along the wiring harness, that could explain the issue.

next to this, I'll have to buy a tent to park the car in.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 03-25-2003, 02:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Anyone take out their carpet completely? I'm sure it would take a while but at least then it would get a chance to dry out.

I did that with my Justy. I took the carpet to the car wash and spent about $3.00 washing it. Then brought it home and let it hang until I was convinced it was dry.
Old 03-25-2003, 03:31 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
That's kind of a bummer about all the water. Makes me worry about water in my SVX. Since you've got the carpet all torn out, have you thought about adding additional sound deadening material before you (fix the leak and) re-install the carpet?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-25-2003, 07:04 PM
No front plate on My SVX

I only pulled out the passenger side carpet, and the seat, only took about 40 minutes. I thought about sound deadening it a little more, but the carpet is integrated with a lot of Foam, a LOT of Foam, acts like a big sponge.
To remove the whole carpet would probably only take about 3 hours, because the drivers seat has all that power crap.
The console could probably be left in, just loosen the screws at the back.

I already put the car all back together and have been watching the little access cover area for new water drops, but haven't seen any rain since the weekend.

Your idea of adding more sound dampening doesn't seem practical as the carpet is already very well padded. The sounds you hear are most likely from the firewall and wheel wells that are not insulated like the floor.

I will have to take the carpet out again as I know there was still some moisture in the foam under the carpet. I'll be doing that again soon.

If you are nervious about water under your carpet there is an easy way to check:
1)Pop off the rocker panels under the door, don't loose the clips.
2)The inside edge has a plastic strip attached to the carpet, peel that off.
3)Reach under the carpet/foam with your hand and feel/see if there is any water. Front seat area and back seat area. Water will accumulate in the front, but the low spot is definately the back seat area. Again, there's an electronic box of unknown origin(ok, origin is known, what the heck it is wasn't really a concern at the time), maybe someone can tell me what it is, under the carpet back seat, passenger side.
4)There is a white plastic sheild running along the door frame edge that can be lifted up aswell, to see if you have any residual water there. This covers all the wiring and what are probably ABS and Brake lines, might be a feel lines there aswell.

Sorry I forgot to take pictures, I said I would do this any time I took anything apart, but I have CRAFT.

Old 03-25-2003, 08:13 PM
No front plate on My SVX

what do you know, my CRAFT is worse than I thought. I have some pictures of my actual leak:

in my locker

Old 03-26-2003, 02:24 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The driver's seat is not hard to take out. The only difference is it's a bit heavier and there's 2 connecters to unplug...that's all.
Old 03-26-2003, 03:30 PM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
Quote:
Originally posted by CDG
what do you know, my CRAFT is worse than I thought. I have some pictures of my actual leak:

in my locker
Can you snap a picture from further away so I can see what part of the car this is?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 03-27-2003, 02:57 AM
Sue isn't really striped

if it doesn't dry up:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...?threadid=9561

Old 03-27-2003, 07:45 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

Can you snap a picture from further away so I can see what part of the car this is?
Imagine the right foot of a passenger, and what they would hit.
its under the little panel....I'll just go take a pic...
check my locker..shortly.

Old 03-27-2003, 07:47 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Alycone
if it doesn't dry up:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...?threadid=9561

Don't tempt me

Old 05-28-2003, 10:20 AM
I'm just sayin'..........

Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
I had this problem on my driverside. Water was coming in from under the door skin and running under the drivers seat. I pulled the panel off and ran water around the door. Turns out it was running down the window split rail, dripping on to the door wirering harness, and running in to the other side of the plastic on that. Very screwed up that every thing had to be lined up perfect for the water to get inside. Then again if you had the door apart and the plastic off you just might want to make sure it's sealed good again.
Help!!

I'm having this same problem in the same area. I have no clue how to get the door panel off to check anything. When I got my car, the driver's door courtesy light wasn't working, but my carpet was always dry. When I had the dealer replace my driver's side window switch cluster, they must have reconnected it because it works now. I noticed some condensation last winter with the melting snow on the car as well as a tiny bit of dampness in the rear driver's side floor. With all of this rain we've had the last week, I have a small pool there now.... the further forward you go on the carpet the drier it gets. It's only slightly damp near the trunk release. From there back it gets progressively worse.

Could it be the same thing? How did you fix it? I really don't want to drill holes in my precious...... Please help!!

'95 Laguna Blue Pearl SVX L AWD
'18 Kia Stinger GT Twin Turbo - Sunset Yellow
Old 05-28-2003, 07:22 PM

Unhappy

can anyone tell me how to get the door panel off? i did a search and found nothing useful. My car is starting to smell musty......ugh....

Old 05-28-2003, 07:31 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Remove the rocker panels, thats the panel inder the door by prying it off, then put out one of the seats, passenger is easiest.

If thats the info your looking for, great, if not, give me some more info, I'll be online for a while.

Old 05-28-2003, 07:38 PM

I pulled the rocker panel off today and lifted the carpet.....i saw the white piece that you mentioned in your post. what am I looking for after that? Where was the water coming from in your situation? Should the door panel itself be taken off? If so, do I just pry it off?

Old 05-28-2003, 07:49 PM
No front plate on My SVX

My water was coming down the front edge of the door frame, but I still have no idea from where.
I could see that by only removing those little panels at the front edge of the door frame.
When spraying water on the roof, very few drops would run down the edge of the door frame.

All my water was consolidating in the back seat floor area.