Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 04-15-2014, 06:13 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
AUX input + CD player delete + pocket + optional USB charge ports kits group buy

Ok, so this weekend I replaced the audio stuff in my 97. I kept the stock head unit though and made an AUX cord out of the plug that plugs the stock CD player into the head unit, and put in a pocket. After thinking for a while where to put the button that switches the AUX input, I figured I'd just epoxy it to the top right corner of the pocket, and I like how it turned out. The AUX cord I just let come out behind the glove box. Here's a pic:

And it was not too hard, so I figured I can make a few kits to do the same. And then me and Nate started talking and he said he can supply a bunch of the plugs off the back of the stock CD players. Then I thought, for a little extra, I can integrate a dual USB charger into it as well, and make it nicer, give it an aux jack instead of a cord, etc.

It will be as close to plug-and-play as such a thing can be. Just take out the radio cage, unscrew the cd player, unplug it, remove it, screw in the thingies that hold the pocket to the cage, use two 3m quick wire taps to power it from the head unit power, put the radio cage back in, slide the pocket/kit in, and good to go. The pocket will still have tons of room in it for the phone or ipod or whatever.

I ordered parts to make a prototype one, so when it gets here I'll make one and post pics of it in my 97 to show how it will look and stuff before anyone buys. I'll do some things differently from the one in the pic. It will have a jack in the side of the pocket instead of a cord, it can have a black button instead of a red button if that will look better, and I'll try to set the jack/button further in the pocket so the door still closes with a cable plugged in (no promises on that one). I'll probably line the bottom of the pocket with some felt or something so your phone doesn't get all messed up sliding around in there. The USB charger will take up a little bit more of the pocket space, but I don't think too much, I'll have to see when I put it together. But I'll make the prototype one and post pics so you've got a clearer idea.

They'll be $35 for one with the AUX jack + button + pocket, or $50 for one with the dual USB charger too + $5 shipping. Which seems like a great deal to me. Anything less and it wouldn't be worth my time.

I want to get a list of people who are definitely interested so I can order parts and make them as a batch, but I will probably keep making them later, though the price may go up due to not buying materials in bulk. You can sign up here in this thread, or send me a Facebook private message, or email me at icingdeath88@gmail.com (note: my paypal address is different). SPECIFY whether you want a USB charger in it or not. No one pays until they are ready to ship, and preference will be given to people who sign up first, although they'll have a limited time to pay or it will go to the next person on the list.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX
Re: AUX input + CD player delete + pocket + optional USB charge ports kits group buy

I'll take one. I'd probably be more interested in the one with the power jack.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-16-2014, 06:13 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: AUX input + CD player delete + pocket + optional USB charge ports kits group buy

Any way to throw this in the mix? Hidden. Hardwire aux jack and cig adapter to radio harness/ Changer jack.
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Bluetoo...productDetails

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 04-16-2014, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

I can probably make you a one-off one, but I need to think about how to do it first. That round thing is not only the mic, but also a button to pair it and whatnot. Makes it tricky.

BTW, If you still want one of those steering wheels in your sig, silver92mike on the other forum has one for sale.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Last edited by icingdeath88; 04-16-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:36 PM

Registered SVX

Ok so the rest of the parts to make the prototype got here today (the pockets). Going to start on it this evening, hope to get some pictures of it and it installed up so someone can show them off at Reading for me this weekend. Hoping that will get a few bites, from those who still have the stock radios.

Old 04-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Registered SVX

Ok so I finished a mockup of the kit to show where I'm at now. I actually found more info on the CD player's wiring, so I believe I should be able to make it totally plug-and play, including the USB part, just need to test it out in my car to be 100% sure. If someone at Reading could show it off to some of the people there who still have their stock radios, I would be really super appreciative.

On the left (upside down if it were mounted on the right side) is an example of the switch + aux jack only, and on the right is an example of the switch + usb charger + jack. There are actually a lot of options to choose here, they can be mounted in the left or right side of the pocket, and the switch, jack, and charger can be moved around in the panel wherever pretty much. I'm going to try to find some small black rocker switches like the one on the left that will fit with the USB charger better, I think they look better. Also going to use pockets that are more square inside instead of round, these are tough to get the edges just right.

The final versions will have another panel alongside the front panel that goes to the back of the pocket to keep stuff out from behind it. Final version will also be a bit more polished (I promise), and I can line the bottom and sides of the pocket with felt if people like, I plan to do that with the one I put in my car to keep the phone from getting scratched whenever dust and stuff gets into the pocket.

Always very open to suggestions if anyone has any input. I actually have another idea of my own that I'll be working on and share later.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140427_12_20_57_Pro 1.jpg (215.7 KB, 1275 views)

Last edited by icingdeath88; 04-27-2014 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX

Ok here's another option. Just an aux cord, with the button inline, close at hand so you can press it when you plug it in. These would be only $20. (Note: I'll find heat-shrink that doesn't have anything printed on it, will look nicer.) And instead of a pocket you would put something else in place of the CD player, such as gauges like in my other car or a slide-out cupholder like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ca...-/331156375007 Or hopefully a nicer looking one if you can find.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20140427_13_09_47_Pro.jpg (166.7 KB, 1291 views)

Old 04-27-2014, 11:28 AM

Registered SVX

Those are looking very good I found my stock radio/cd player so soon as I can drive down to tampa I will bring them

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: