Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Cheating on my SVX

Noticed some recent Porsche 928 posts and thought I'd admit publicly to cheating on my SVX. Bought an '82 928 a coupla weeks ago and bought my wife a '12 Outback 2.5. I can't report much on the Outback yet, except that, for the 3 minutes I got to drive it, the slap shifters were a blast! I'm not impressed and I read that no one is, with the light colored fabric seats. Stain magnets.

The 1982 Porsche is a purchase I really can't justify. Such a pretty car, though it's in an early stage of resto. Sat for a while so really going over it. Used to be owned by an heiress from Arkansas. The V8 sound is far too exciting for someone my age. Learning about it's oddities, as Landshark has mentioned. Like, why do they put a stereo fader knob on the floor left of driver, right by the parking brake handle? Electrical system is not its strength, thank God for Rennlist forum. Interior not as refined as SVX, but that's not fair: it's an '82. Beautiful but strange car. I've spent a few evenings with it and it's been fun but she hasn't had a chance to really let me down yet. So far, SVX is still far, far beyond, IMO. Though they're both supposed to be in the same touring class, they're from two different decades.

Looking at a 2003 Saab next week as a kid's car.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[1].jpg (67.1 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg outback.JPG (55.6 KB, 165 views)
Old 09-18-2013, 04:21 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Cheating on my SVX

Nice car, I've always loved the 928. We bought 2012 6speed Outback last fall. It's been great so far.
I would highly recommend the 19mm WRX swaybar swap. It completely transforms the handling of the car. It gets rid of all the sway on windy days and reduces the lean in corners. I didn't notice any change in the ride comfort at all. $96.04 plus shipping for the bar and bushings

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-...ay-p-2163.html
Old 09-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Hater

Very nice, welcome to the shark tank!

I still haven't driven mine much ..... still some work to do, but hopefully in a week or two it'll be driveable, then I'll do some little stuff over the winter.

What needs done on yours?

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 09-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Registered SVX

Sway bar for the Outback sounds like a great idea in the Wyoming wind! Thanks.

Landshark:
Needs on the 928: Just replaced a few fuses that had me worried. Cleaned up interior leather, glass, etc. Cleaned up enigne bay. Next, I haven't driven it much at all. Drove it home about 10 miles when I got it, no problems. But, got some parts coming. Several interior pieces coming. The grommet for the brake master cylinder leaks. Got a tiny coolant leak on top of the motor, front; think it's the part that comes off the water pump. I've heard about the timing belts being important so that and water pump are on my short list. Auto tranny (yech!, may swap to 5 speed some day) seems to engage slowly, gotta check ATF, probably replace. First priority, right now: The alternator and battery. Trying to figure it out. Found the issue on Rennlist so learned from others. I have the 75 A Bosch alternator; seems it can't keep up at idle. I charge the battery, start it up, it idles for a few minutes, then shuts down. So, battery is fading (though seems to hold steady at about 12 v, but, I think, it needs a little more). From what I can tell about what I've read, I have some expensive and less expensive options. The Delco CS130 alternator is the cheaper one but sounds good. First, though, belt tension could be the issue because it drove home just fine. I guess idle draws lots of power. So, tighten the belt, see if it maintains idle. Go from there. My goal is to make it short-term reliable- not spend more than $500- then pick away at my list. Leather seats worn. Looking at options. I know a saddle maker... Also, car wraps look pretty cool; I hear mixed reactions. Check this out:
http://www.alsacorp.com/strechchrome/
Anyway, this is what's fun, for me, about a car like this that isn't meant to be a DD. Possibilities! Some may be stupid, but it's fun to explore.
I didn't realize how much of this car is aluminum. Hey, that's probably way more than you wanted to read, sorry. How's your 928?
Old 09-19-2013, 11:23 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Sway bar for the Outback sounds like a great idea in the Wyoming wind! Thanks.

Landshark:
Needs on the 928: Just replaced a few fuses that had me worried. Cleaned up interior leather, glass, etc. Cleaned up enigne bay. Next, I haven't driven it much at all. Drove it home about 10 miles when I got it, no problems. But, got some parts coming. Several interior pieces coming. The grommet for the brake master cylinder leaks. Got a tiny coolant leak on top of the motor, front; think it's the part that comes off the water pump. I've heard about the timing belts being important so that and water pump are on my short list. Auto tranny (yech!, may swap to 5 speed some day) seems to engage slowly, gotta check ATF, probably replace. First priority, right now: The alternator and battery. Trying to figure it out. Found the issue on Rennlist so learned from others. I have the 75 A Bosch alternator; seems it can't keep up at idle. I charge the battery, start it up, it idles for a few minutes, then shuts down. So, battery is fading (though seems to hold steady at about 12 v, but, I think, it needs a little more). From what I can tell about what I've read, I have some expensive and less expensive options. The Delco CS130 alternator is the cheaper one but sounds good. First, though, belt tension could be the issue because it drove home just fine. I guess idle draws lots of power. So, tighten the belt, see if it maintains idle. Go from there. My goal is to make it short-term reliable- not spend more than $500- then pick away at my list. Leather seats worn. Looking at options. I know a saddle maker... Also, car wraps look pretty cool; I hear mixed reactions. Check this out:
http://www.alsacorp.com/strechchrome/
Anyway, this is what's fun, for me, about a car like this that isn't meant to be a DD. Possibilities! Some may be stupid, but it's fun to explore.
I didn't realize how much of this car is aluminum. Hey, that's probably way more than you wanted to read, sorry. How's your 928?
yep, i can sympathize.

i fixed two coolant leaks (new heater valve and short hose, replaced busted clamp on hose to expansion tank), but still have a SMALL slow one from front. going to mechanic next week for that and transmission work.

get a new battery ground strap (may look good on the ends, but probably crap under the rubber) and clean all grounds.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATF level is important, also adjust the throttle cables:

" to set up the throttle quadrant,

first remove the bowden cable cup then

set the throttle cable to quadrant,
(this is the one that goes around the wheel)

you want to be able to have the arm that has the balls on it move about 1 to 2 MM till you hear a click from the TPS, adjust this cable as necessary.

once this is done then set the gas pedal cable onto the ball, this should have slack of 2mm.
have a helper put the pedal to the floor while you check for WOT, adjust as necessary

BUT make sure the throttle arm returns to its stop and the TPS is clicking.

Next set the bowden cable to the ball ,
test it by gently pulling the cable see if you feel resistance this indicates its connected to the kickdown arm in the trans. let it slide back to the no tension position
it should fit with no slack or tension ,
in other words it should slip fit on with no slack in the cable..
Get some wrenches that fit the ball and locknut and cable, drive the car see if it will run to redline and then shift, if its shifting early then the cable is loose, adjust the cable by a 1/2 turn, keep testing till you get consistent shifting,
once your close to perfect then reduce the adjustments to just 1/4 turn of the ball cup on the bowden"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i fixed a bad transmission flare just by adjusting the cables right (they were WAY off). the RPM's at which the transmission shifts is largely related to bowden cable adjustment, the harshness of shifts is related to the vacuum modulator, which can be adjusted if you don't have any vacuum leaks (i do - harsh shifts!). properly adjusted throttle and gas pedal cables can dramatically "wake up" a sleeping shark, making it crisp and responsive!

i disabled my alarm due to going off randomly - you may want to consider that if you have a factory alarm - it can leave you stranded if it acts up, and will be one less thing draining the battery when parked.

as far as interior, my dash has cracks. right now i'm considering a suede dash mat, or may try this place (don't know how expensive it may be): http://www.fibrenew.com/

good luck!

Last edited by Landshark; 09-19-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:07 PM

Registered SVX

Didn't know that about the throttle cables, thanks a lot! Might take me a while to get to it.

The movable part of the dash in front of the driver is my only dash crack, surprisingly. I know there are exact replacements for it but don't know the cost, either.

Thanks for the advice/instructions; it'll be a big help.
Old 09-19-2013, 12:35 PM
Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
Didn't know that about the throttle cables, thanks a lot! Might take me a while to get to it.

The movable part of the dash in front of the driver is my only dash crack, surprisingly. I know there are exact replacements for it but don't know the cost, either.

Thanks for the advice/instructions; it'll be a big help.

spend the time on Rennlist searching .... i've added about 50 bookmarks in my browser in the past 2 weeks.

the instrument pod can be repaired/recovered in leather or vinyl ($$$), fitted with a plastic cap ($$), or fitted with a carpet/suede/leather cover ($). do it yourself, or send it out - whatever your skills and wallet are comfortable with!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: