How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-06-2013, 01:18 PM

Registered SVX
Looking at an XT6

Someone slap me, I'm looking at an XT6 to add to my collection XD He has an engine ready to be rebuilt and two spares to go with it and its already 5spd awd. ill be checking it out saturday to see if its worth what hes asking.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Just dip a toe!

Registered SVX
Re: Looking at an XT6

Hells yeah! I've always wanted a 5sp XT6.
91 XT6
93 D21 4wd
95 SVX LSi
02 Windstar Sport
03 CL500
03 Avalanche NF
07 RDX
08 Outback
10 Outback
10 Murano
12 Accent
15 STi
Old 03-06-2013, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Subaruxt.com/forum

XT6 Headquarters

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

If its rust free and has a decent conversion suspension on it DON"T BUY IT, ship it east to me. I miss my XT6 more than any other car I parted with. If Subaru still thought outside the box like they did until around 93 then I'd still own 'em.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:23 PM

Registered SVX

If you pay shipping.
1992 SVX Pearlie: AmsOil signature synthetic 10w40 and Ea15k20 filter, Cobb crank pulley, Outlaw Engineering spacers and tb bypass, LGT 5spd, Slotted Crossdrilled rotors and ceramic pads, 11:1 compression, EGR delete, Port & Polished heads, SaikoMichi catch can, A/c delete.
Old 03-07-2013, 05:18 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

No smack from me.....as I still have FrankenWedge in my collection....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
No smack from me.....as I still have FrankenWedge in my collection....
Following the link to XT board i see that Frankenwedge is for sale.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 03-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Following the link to XT board i see that Frankenwedge is for sale.

Yes it is for sale, as is my Yellow RWD 5-Speed SVX......first one to sell goes, the other stays....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-07-2013, 11:25 AM
Resident Rotorhead

I had an '89 5-speed AWD. 1-owner, garaged, 62k miles, and they had just replaced all 4 air struts with...new factory ones! This cost them more than I paid for the car. You'd never know looking at pictures, but it was from NY and rusted beyond repair Would've made a good parts car..

1990 Mazda RX-7 GXL Brilliant Black
1992 Mazda Miata Brilliant Black
1992 Lexus SC300 5-Speed Pearl White
Old 03-11-2013, 02:46 PM

Make SURE you can still get the special XT6-only "Cybrid" power steering fluid for its electric power steering pump. It WAS about $26 a bottle and it's a dealer-only item, there is NO aftermarket substitute that can be used without destroying all your seals.

That's what's kept me from ever buying an XT6, BTW.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Make SURE you can still get the special XT6-only "Cybrid" power steering fluid for its electric power steering pump. It WAS about $26 a bottle and it's a dealer-only item, there is NO aftermarket substitute that can be used without destroying all your seals.

That's what's kept me from ever buying an XT6, BTW.
Actually it will destroy the brushes in the electric motor and they are hella cheap. Many have flushed the system and ran regular stuff and just replaced the brushes and are doing just fine.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 PM

Can't speak from personal experience, but here's a repost from NASIOC:

taken from the www.xt6.net FAQ....

Q - My power steering works sporadically or is out entirely; I've heard the XT6 uses some sort of special power steering motor and fluid - how hard is it to repair or replace?

A - The XT6 uses a unique electrohydraulic system of providing power assist to the rack and pinion steering system. Subaru dubbed it Cybrid steering (whatever that was supposed to mean) and it is very precise and reliable. Making use of an optical sensor "watching" the movement of the steering wheel coupled with some electronic brainery under the hood the Cybrid system uses an electric motor to power a hydraulic ram system to pump the fluid where it's needed. With this system there is no belt driven power steering pump like that appearing on almost all other cars. The motor is highly reliable and generally performs flawlessly. However, recently a spate of owners have had problems with the electric motor's brushes wearing down to the point that they need to be replaced and this causes hesitation or it causes the unit to not function at all. Replacing the brushes is not too terribly difficult, and the brushes themselves are very inexpensive if you know the right place to get them (try Anthony's Subaru in Kelowna, BC - ask for Paul). Of particular note is the fact that there was a recall on the power steering motor to install a wire to correct similar sporadic operation... if your power steering motor has a long (usually blue) wire running from it to a wiring harness in front of the driver's side of the firewall, then you have had the recall done. If not, this may be the source of your hesitation troubles.

One last word on the XT6's power steering system: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES - REPEAT - NEVER EVER use "regular" power steering fluid in the XT6's system. It WILL ruin it - period. The Cybrid power steering fluid (Subaru part # K0209A0080), although far more expensive (about $25US for a quart/liter) is the ONLY fluid that should ever be used. It apparently is so dramatically different in its chemical make-up that use of regular fluid will cause rubber O rings to deteriorate leading to pump failure, etc. Twenty five bucks is far less expensive than a new power steering system. If you take your car to a commercial establishment to have your oil and other fluids changed, it is advisable to instruct the technician not to touch the power steering fluid. You may even want to print a clear warning on a bright orange label affixed to the unit - it may sound extreme, but it's a small thing compared to the costly repairs and frustration it might avoid.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 03-12-2013, 12:24 AM

Registered SVX

was supposed to look at it last saturday but he got busy so hopefully this weekend. Any links to xt6 engine rebuild guide and performance mods?
Old 03-12-2013, 05:22 AM
Soobologist

Send a message via AIM to subeman90
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Can't speak from personal experience, but here's a repost from NASIOC:

taken from the www.xt6.net FAQ....

Q - My power steering works sporadically or is out entirely; I've heard the XT6 uses some sort of special power steering motor and fluid - how hard is it to repair or replace?

A - The XT6 uses a unique electrohydraulic system of providing power assist to the rack and pinion steering system. Subaru dubbed it Cybrid steering (whatever that was supposed to mean) and it is very precise and reliable. Making use of an optical sensor "watching" the movement of the steering wheel coupled with some electronic brainery under the hood the Cybrid system uses an electric motor to power a hydraulic ram system to pump the fluid where it's needed. With this system there is no belt driven power steering pump like that appearing on almost all other cars. The motor is highly reliable and generally performs flawlessly. However, recently a spate of owners have had problems with the electric motor's brushes wearing down to the point that they need to be replaced and this causes hesitation or it causes the unit to not function at all. Replacing the brushes is not too terribly difficult, and the brushes themselves are very inexpensive if you know the right place to get them (try Anthony's Subaru in Kelowna, BC - ask for Paul). Of particular note is the fact that there was a recall on the power steering motor to install a wire to correct similar sporadic operation... if your power steering motor has a long (usually blue) wire running from it to a wiring harness in front of the driver's side of the firewall, then you have had the recall done. If not, this may be the source of your hesitation troubles.

One last word on the XT6's power steering system: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES - REPEAT - NEVER EVER use "regular" power steering fluid in the XT6's system. It WILL ruin it - period. The Cybrid power steering fluid (Subaru part # K0209A0080), although far more expensive (about $25US for a quart/liter) is the ONLY fluid that should ever be used. It apparently is so dramatically different in its chemical make-up that use of regular fluid will cause rubber O rings to deteriorate leading to pump failure, etc. Twenty five bucks is far less expensive than a new power steering system. If you take your car to a commercial establishment to have your oil and other fluids changed, it is advisable to instruct the technician not to touch the power steering fluid. You may even want to print a clear warning on a bright orange label affixed to the unit - it may sound extreme, but it's a small thing compared to the costly repairs and frustration it might avoid.
...and everything you read on the internet is true and up to date information. Nevermind the people that have gone a different direction years ago and have not had adverse affects on their cars.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:08 PM

I've got no pony in this race, just sharing the info I've come across.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: