Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Re: Driving with concealed Handgun

I'm intrigued. We can't possess handguns in the UK, at all. Where do you fire them? Anywhere? Is it OK to shoot someone, obviously in self defence?
I have a few shotguns but can honestly say whilst I'd shoot something I'd eat, I'm not sure I could actually shoot someONE.
I'm a very popular bloke to go clay shooting with btw, I make everyone around me look great shots...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Fairmont State University

Send a message via Yahoo to radarwhiz
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek View Post
I'm intrigued. We can't possess handguns in the UK, at all. Where do you fire them? Anywhere? Is it OK to shoot someone, obviously in self defence?
I have a few shotguns but can honestly say whilst I'd shoot something I'd eat, I'm not sure I could actually shoot someONE.

I'm a very popular bloke to go clay shooting with btw, I make everyone around me look great shots...

As of yet, it's just target shooting at the range. But I did run into a situation today that made me consider it's use.

A cat had just been hit by a car in front of me and it was flopping around quite violently in the middle of the road in obvious pain. Several cars had stopped but no one seemed quite sure what to do. I considered stopping as well and putting it out of it's misery, but I'm not so well read on the laws regarding discharge of firearms within the city limits.

I would not hesitate one bit, however, in mine or my family's defense no matter where I was.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

"Be kind to your motor car." - Jackie Stewart
Old 02-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

You'll shoot your eye out kid.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
You'll shoot your eye out kid.
Maybe someone's, but not mine.

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

Old 02-21-2012, 05:48 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Handgun possession is practically impossible in Canada also. If you don't leave it at the gun club you have to register the time, date and route to be travelled to your home and the same when returning to the club to do some plinking.

You Americans are scaring me!

Last edited by Blacky; 02-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:53 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Bad guys prefer their victims to be easy targets. Some of us prefer not to be so easy.

My current carry favorite is my Ruger LCP .380. It fits in a slip holster in my front jeans pocket and disappears there. Ease of carry means I always have it.....just in case.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:57 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwhiz View Post

As of yet, it's just target shooting at the range. But I did run into a situation today that made me consider it's use.

A cat had just been hit by a car in front of me and it was flopping around quite violently in the middle of the road in obvious pain. Several cars had stopped but no one seemed quite sure what to do. I considered stopping as well and putting it out of it's misery, but I'm not so well read on the laws regarding discharge of firearms within the city limits.

I would not hesitate one bit, however, in mine or my family's defense no matter where I was.
Shooting a dying animal in public would just add fuel to the anti-gun fire. And like you said, it would most likely be in violation of city laws. Did they not cover this type of thing in your concealed carry permit class? We had to memorize SC gun law and take a test as well as qualify at the range.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Did they not cover this type of thing in your concealed carry permit class? We had to memorize SC gun law and take a test as well as qualify at the range.
I thought you just had to be old enough to see over the counter at the gun shop to buy and carry one in the USA.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Where can you find them? depends on the state. Some are more lax and you can get them at sports stores as well as specific gun shops. Some states require a concealed weapons permit to own a gun and each must be registered to that permit. Other states you can buy a pistol with nothing more than a valid drivers license and an FBI background check. Some states have a waiting period between purchase and take home, others there is no wait.

Where to fire them? Depends where you live. Most states/towns have a 500ft (or some other distance) from dwelling rule for discharging a firearm. It really depends where you live. Most cities don't allow firing weapons as target practice. Most rural areas it just doesn't matter. I hear gun shots all the time around my house in a fairly sub-urban area. It's just the locals target practicing in their backyards! There are usually shooting ranges in most towns where you either become a member or pay each time you go. Some even have indoor ranges. Most places you can also find a state or county or town run range that is free to the public.

Is it OK to shoot someone in defense? Some states support "castle doctrine" which basically means you can shoot to defend yourself or another without first trying to retreat if you are in your home, car, or work. Other states have a "stand your ground" law which means you can shoot wherever you are if threatened with no duty to retreat. Other states require you to retreat if safely possible and fire only as a last resort and then get sued by the dead guy's family. Those are the states the bad guys like.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
I thought you just had to be old enough to see over the counter at the gun shop to buy and carry one in the USA.
It really is amazing how different state laws are;

In NY, you have to take the permit class, pay a bunch of money, get all the usual prints, pictures, etc, and then wait months and months to get your permit. You have to buy a gun, but you can't even own the gun yet - you just have to have a gun at the gun shop that is yours so that you can put the serial number on your permit. Then - when (and if) you actually get the permit - you can finally go pick up your gun and take it home. If you want to buy another gun, you have to register it to your permit. If you have a gun that is not on your permit you are going to jail.

In SC, you don't need a permit unless you want to carry concealed outside of your property. You can legally keep a gun - loaded - in your home and on your property and - get this- in your car's glovebox or console - without anything more than an SC drivers license. Think about that before you give that lady with the SC plates the middle finger. You can buy a gun with only your SC drivers license and a background check and walk out of the store within about an hour with your new pistol. To carry concealed you must take the training and obtain a concealed carry permit. A CWP also makes the gun purchasing much quicker because you have already passed a background check so you skip that step. The last pistol I bought took about a half-hour at a local sporting goods store. The counter was pretty tall though, I could barely get my chin up to it.

Last edited by immortal_suby; 02-21-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by radarwhiz View Post
That would work this time of year but it's hard to conceal without a jacket in the warmer weather.
Hmmmmm,
What about a concealed carry vest?

I personally do not own one as of yet, mostly due to the cost
but it might be worth looking into.
I have carried with a "belly band" before, but it would be tough with a pistol as large as your 40.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 02-21-2012, 08:15 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
That's how it works in VT.
You just have to be at least 21 years old to buy a handgun and then don't take it to school with you. Or a courthouse. That's about all the restrictions we have

Try concealing one of these:
http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

SOLD - 1992 LSL 180K #8588 with svxfiles' all aluminum radiator; Wolf's head synthetic ATF in tranny and power steering; lighted power mode switch; Mobil 1 10W30 motor oil with Bosch 72158 filter; ACDelco A975C air filter; Valvoline synthetic 75W-90 gear oil, Optima BlueTop battery
2002 F550 74K
SOLD - 2000 F450 215K
1987 BMW 535i 209K
1999 Yamaha SRX 700
Old 02-21-2012, 08:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX8588 View Post
That's how it works in VT.
You just have to be at least 21 years old to buy a handgun and then don't take it to school with you. Or a courthouse. That's about all the restrictions we have
I think that's the excuse I need to move back to VT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX8588 View Post
Mmmmmmmm......

'08 ML550 daily driver
'13 F150 work truck
'87 MR2 racecar
'92 Lsl Claret 5sp

Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 PM

removed by user

Last edited by Shamus McFeeley; 01-21-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Have you never watched Westerns?

I bought a shotgun and filled out a questionnaire and it had questions such as, "Are you currently a fugitive from justice?" Really? Consider the moral dilemma for a bad guy.

dcb