Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2010, 03:31 AM

Registered SVX
Antifreeze

I had a hose blow on the svx. Well, I put in antifreeze and waited for the thermastat to open and refilled it. Well, it is still full in the radiator but it takes a long time to get warm inside and never gets hot. My top hose i put on is a flex hose and i cant "burp" it. Is there a way to bleed the air out of the system. I think there is air in there that i am not getting out.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:12 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Antifreeze

Remove the top hose connection to the radiator and pour coolant into it straight down into the engine. Then just reinstall the hose connection and top off the radiator.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Remove the top hose connection to the radiator and pour coolant into it straight down into the engine. Then just reinstall the hose connection and top off the radiator.

Keith
Old 12-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

One of the best ways to burp a Subaru coolant system is to use one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-24610

It's a funnel with a plug, and it has adapters to fit the radiator. Turn the heat on full blast, run the engine, fill with coolant until the bucket is about 1/2 full, and as air escapes, it burps through the coolant in the bucket, but the extra coolant keeps air from getting back in.

Once it stops burping, you put the plug in from the top, take it off the radiator, put it over the coolant jug, and pull the plug back out to save the extra. All the guys in the shop when I worked for Subaru had them, and they make things very easy.
Old 12-15-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Ursalia View Post
One of the best ways to burp a Subaru coolant system is to use one of these:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LIL-24610

It's a funnel with a plug, and it has adapters to fit the radiator. Turn the heat on full blast, run the engine, fill with coolant until the bucket is about 1/2 full, and as air escapes, it burps through the coolant in the bucket, but the extra coolant keeps air from getting back in.

Once it stops burping, you put the plug in from the top, take it off the radiator, put it over the coolant jug, and pull the plug back out to save the extra. All the guys in the shop when I worked for Subaru had them, and they make things very easy.
Chris is correct. He can "burp" his system using that method while you are looking for your "burper"...

Keith
Old 12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Takes just as long to find a screwdriver or bit driver to take the coolant hose off as it does to pull the bucket off the shelf in the garage, and it guarantees you get all the air out, whereas the other method does not.

To each their own- I'm new on here but have been around Subarus since 1984 and learned more than a trick or two along the way .
Old 12-15-2010, 03:30 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Takes just as long to find a screwdriver or bit driver to take the coolant hose off as it does to pull the bucket off the shelf in the garage, and it guarantees you get all the air out, whereas the other method does not.

To each their own- I'm new on here but have been around Subarus since 1984 and learned more than a trick or two along the way .
Actually my suggested method works fine, as you top off the engine and radiator at the same time. Then, any left over air pockets are small at best, and the normal procedure still applies.... drive the car. The cap and reservoir do the rest, without having to purchase any special tool or grab a bucket.

Your method is better per se, but my lazy way is just as good in this case

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Actually my suggested method works fine, as you top off the engine and radiator at the same time. Then, any left over air pockets are small at best, and the normal procedure still applies.... drive the car. The cap and reservoir do the rest, without having to purchase any special tool or grab a bucket.

Your method is better per se, but my lazy way is just as good in this case
Yep, Chris' method is what I use for any coolant system and I have never had a problem on any of them. All different makes and companies.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM

Registered SVX

one of the easiest things to try is to jack up the front of the car as high as you can and run it with the cap off while keeping it full, it's not uncommon for subarus to get an air pocket stuck under the thermostat that won't bleed back through the engine but will bleed up through the lower hose when the car is jacked up.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:

Not sure what kind of guarantee we are talking about but the method works every time for me.

Another thing... not only are we concerned about getting a screw driver but the time it takes to have it towed to the shop to put that "burper" on it.

Keith
Old 12-15-2010, 06:59 PM

Registered SVX

Make sure your antifreeze is actually around a 50/50 mix.

If you were to use just undiluted antifreeze the temp. gauge will run high and you won't get much heat because the antifreeze doesn't want to "give up" the heat it has absorbed.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks a lot guys. I would never had thought you could just remove the top hose and fill from there and then top off. I bought the 50/50 the first time and learned to just buy it and mix it myself. No need to pay for water.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
I knew that "Chris method" sounded familiar! After wracking my brain to remember, I posted it for the first time myself October 1st
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...262#post659262

Keith
Old 12-15-2010, 09:13 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
I knew that "Chris method" sounded familiar! After wracking my brain to remember, I posted it for the first time myself October 1st
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...262#post659262

Keith
lol oh jeeze ok Keith did it first!!! This is his method and he invented it.

I would recommend patenting this idea sir, and anybody that didnt have a dedicated bleeder screw would surely be at the mercy of your billfold.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Another thing... not only are we concerned about getting a screw driver but the time it takes to have it towed to the shop to put that "burper" on it.
You buy it, you don't tow it to the shop . It's useful for lots of other jobs as well.