IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-18-2010, 12:26 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Thermostat question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
I thought our gauge was controlled simply by a thermistor? Mine also fluctuates between norm op and slightly cooler than that due to the thermostat delay in closing. I know my engine cools below norm op within about 30 seconds of reaching the peak of mt rose pass and descending, especially if the heater is on. If the engine runs hot it sure takes more than a windy mountain climb to do it.
That is true but the gauge itself has a zener diode in it that causes the gauge to be nonlinear so that the needle will not move while the temperature is within a certain range. The temperature is still varying and so is the thermistor resistance but the gauge is not responding.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-18-2010, 02:55 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
That is true but the gauge itself has a zener diode in it that causes the gauge to be nonlinear so that the needle will not move while the temperature is within a certain range. The temperature is still varying and so is the thermistor resistance but the gauge is not responding.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:29 AM

Not 100% on the functionality of my dead zone then. Mine frequently goes back and forth between half a just under half of the gauge as driving conditions vary. The fans kick on when it reaches the halfway mark, then it drops to just under half, about the width of the needle and they kick off. It will drop maybe another half needle width before leveling off or rising again depending on driving conditions. If there's plenty of airflow it will stay 1 needle width below midpoint, in stop and go with AC on it will keep rising to midpoint and kicking the fans on every few minutes. On some serious hills the fans kick on but I've only gotten it to do that once from heavy pedal usage. If the fans kick on at the same time the car starts to pick up speed and airflow acrossed the radiator, sometimes the temp drops pretty far, but picks right back up to normal once the fans stop.

I never see it sit still... Could this be a thermostat problem? It seems perfectly normal to me though, it corresponds 100% correctly to what's going on, driving conditions wise.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:00 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
Not 100% on the functionality of my dead zone then. Mine frequently goes back and forth between half a just under half of the gauge as driving conditions vary. The fans kick on when it reaches the halfway mark, then it drops to just under half, about the width of the needle and they kick off. It will drop maybe another half needle width before leveling off or rising again depending on driving conditions. If there's plenty of airflow it will stay 1 needle width below midpoint, in stop and go with AC on it will keep rising to midpoint and kicking the fans on every few minutes. On some serious hills the fans kick on but I've only gotten it to do that once from heavy pedal usage. If the fans kick on at the same time the car starts to pick up speed and airflow acrossed the radiator, sometimes the temp drops pretty far, but picks right back up to normal once the fans stop.

I never see it sit still... Could this be a thermostat problem? It seems perfectly normal to me though, it corresponds 100% correctly to what's going on, driving conditions wise.
It could be a stuck open tstat but it also could be the temperature sender for the gauge. Mine went bad and caused the temp to read low which caused the needle to drop out of the dead zone.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 10-22-2010, 03:16 AM

You might be right about it sticking open. I originally thought that was the case, but convinced myself that what it was doing is normal. I'll check into it.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:00 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awox View Post
You might be right about it sticking open. I originally thought that was the case, but convinced myself that what it was doing is normal. I'll check into it.
You might want to replace the temperature sender for the gauge first. It is cheaper and easier. Make sure you get an exact replacement from Subaru though.