Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
electrical woes, no interior lights of any sort!

so i got the my svx back up and running for the most part, and found a annoying and pita problem. none of my interior lights work. at all. not a single one. no dome lights, no speedo or gauges, nothing. despite that, all of my headlights/tailights brights and other headlights work great. ive checked every fuse with no luck. i cant seem to figure this out! its driving me bananas! b-a-n-a-n-a-s! this poop is bananas, b-a-n-a...err, sorry.

anyhow, the only thing that i disconected with the exhaust ground strap. but i dont see how that could affect anything. i replaced the trans, and cant think of anything i may have screwed up. HELP!
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: electrical woes, no interior lights of any sort!

The exhaust ground strap is the one on the muffler I'm guessing that you are talking about and that is only for the antenna signal. Double check anything at all that you may have touched at any time in the last 2 years that the car has been sitting in the garage. Check the wiring around the fuse boxes to make sure mice haven't gotten in there and possibly chewed on anything.

I want to also say that there might be a relay or an electrical unit that contols those things. I can't remember which one off the top of my head right now though
Old 04-20-2010, 09:51 PM

ive been looking into whatever i could, i cant find anything, it all looks good! i really didnt disconnect a whole lot either though! i just dont get it!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
ive been looking into whatever i could, i cant find anything, it all looks good! i really didnt disconnect a whole lot either though! i just dont get it!
I almost want to say the door lock timer but I don't think that has anything to do with the dash lights/speedo lights... Someone else needs to come on here and confirm.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:13 PM

it was a pain driving at night... coudnt see ANYTHING on the dash. driving in the county was bad, your from wi, you know how dark it is! lol.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM

Registered SVX

Most of the lights you mention are controlled by the time control unit via their negative(ground) circuits. The unit is located under the dash on the passenger side, along with the door lock timer and cruise control unit.

A white/red wire running from terminal b6 supplies negative (ground) to the spot and room light system. There is no other wire with this identification so that it should not be too hard to find. You could ground this circuit and if the lights then illuminate, you will know the timer unit is suspect. The timer is grounded via two black wires.

Four fuses are involved, 3,9,15 & 25. Make sure you have voltage at both ends of these fuses.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM

dang, thaks!

so after i find this wire you described, if i ground it out and my lights come on it would be the timer? would this control my dash lights also then?

as for the fuses you gave me, thats their position in the fuse box im guessing? how do i test to make sure theres voltage at both ends, because when i tested the fuses, i just used one of those testers with the little light that tells you the fuse is good, and doesnt test any of the system. do i do this with the ignition on?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:13 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
dang, thaks!

so after i find this wire you described, if i ground it out and my lights come on it would be the timer? would this control my dash lights also then?

as for the fuses you gave me, thats their position in the fuse box im guessing? how do i test to make sure theres voltage at both ends, because when i tested the fuses, i just used one of those testers with the little light that tells you the fuse is good, and doesnt test any of the system. do i do this with the ignition on?
Nice to have the thanks.

Problem is, there are lot of lights on the dash including those within the instrument panel. The illumination lights i.e. those which generally light up the scene, are controlled by the time control unit and should come on when the tail lights are on.

Good that you have electrically checked the fuses. We can assume they are OK. People often refer to a fuse check as only a visual inspection and this can sometimes fail.

Looking at the fuse box with the relays to the right, the fuses are in three columns, numbered starting from top right to bottom left, 1 - 21.

Remember you do not have to be an electrical engineer. Some good old common sense will serve you well.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!