Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Network Design Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
I'll post up more in the ECUtune Stage 1 thread when I get the emails from the performance shop...

~ Chris
Just go ahead and post them here to, so we dont need to go hunting...
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Retired

Send a message via AIM to Nomake Wan Send a message via MSN to Nomake Wan Send a message via Yahoo to Nomake Wan Send a message via Skype™ to Nomake Wan
Indeed. This does make me really happy, though. Good to know I wasn't hallucinating the power.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:14 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suby Fan View Post
i went from wanting a stage 1 to reading this thread, and not wanting one and then reading the numbers and now i will be buying one...
The posts were right, it's worth the $

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
They look healthy. Thank you for sharing. It will still be nice to see the measured "before" figures versus the measured "after".

Just for comparison.

I just got back to Raleigh and still no email from the shop... I'll be calling them on Monday and having them email the 6 pulls to me while I am on the phone. I'll post them up as soon as I get them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Just go ahead and post them here to, so we dont need to go hunting...
Rodger that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomake Wan View Post
Indeed. This does make me really happy, though. Good to know I wasn't hallucinating the power.
Nope, the power is definitely there. There isn't a massive gain but there's enough to tell that something is different. I am only speaking for the last ~12 hours that it's been on my car. Apparently it is suppose to get better as the days pass and the ECU learns how to work with it's new "buddy"... For me, the most noticable thing is the smoothness. My car used to do all kinds of hesitations at low RPM hard acceleration. Now there is absolutly nothing. The torque is available right from about 2,000 and stays super flat all the way to about 6,000rpm before it starts to fall off... My runs (after the chip was installed) only went to 7,000 rpm. I told the operator not to take it to fuel cut because I had reservations about running an engine with 133k miles on it well into the "RED" on the tach, essentially where it's never been before, and it'll never go... There is so much low and midrange power now I can short shift it all day and be totally happy...

I just thought of something... NEVER had I taken my engine to the stock fuel cut, and today I did it 3 times!!!

~ Chris

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
It will be very interesting to see the stock vs. chip AFR. I'm glad to see that you got a noticeable improvement from the chip.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
well im excited to see the results. are you going to run another test in a few weeks and see if the results are any different after the ECU has had time to "learn"? im really interested in seeing if over time there is a better gain and it would be cool to know how long it takes to peak supposing it does get better with time. although that would probably require going to the dyno more than a few times to get periodic readings. it seems i may be forking over the $ to get one of these. ill just have to wait and get the necessities done to her first. if the results seem that good then it seems like it might be worth it. ill just have to see what they look like and if you do end up doing a test after the "learn" period it would be interesting to see those too.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
well im excited to see the results. are you going to run another test in a few weeks and see if the results are any different after the ECU has had time to "learn"? im really interested in seeing if over time there is a better gain and it would be cool to know how long it takes to peak supposing it does get better with time. although that would probably require going to the dyno more than a few times to get periodic readings. it seems i may be forking over the $ to get one of these. ill just have to wait and get the necessities done to her first. if the results seem that good then it seems like it might be worth it. ill just have to see what they look like and if you do end up doing a test after the "learn" period it would be interesting to see those too.
I don't have the $125 required to go to the Dyno every weekend... From here it is just going to be a guess on how much better it gets... The main thing I wanted to learn from going to the Dyno is if there was a recordable performance increase. There was, so my work is done. Yes I am curious as to what it will peak out at... I really want to break 200 wheel TQ personally, but I'm a college student and don't have the money to keep testing...

~ Chris

** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
i definitely understand that! im sure someone will come along one of these days with the info though, just a matter of time.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
i definitely understand that! im sure someone will come along one of these days with the info though, just a matter of time.
I'll get on the Dyno again sometime soon... Possibly this spring... By then the ECU should definitely be operating at it's full potential...

~ Chris

Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input
I'm glad to see someone has dyno'd their car and is sharing their results. Clear proof like this helps new comer's know who they should put their faith in and who they shouldn't trust. Whether claims of sugar pills and placebo are disingenuous or the result of the unfortunate combination of incompetence and arrogance I think it has proved important that the community give newcomers feedback like this which plainly exposes those who seek to missguide them.

Last edited by longassname; 03-19-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
If someone wants opinions, why not expect the good with the bad... If you are insinuating that 8whp and 11ft lbs of torque are going to be obviously noticeable, well there is nothing more to say about that.

Tom
Old 03-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
If someone wants opinions, why not expect the good with the bad... If you are insinuating that 8whp and 11ft lbs of torque are going to be obviously noticeable, well there is nothing more to say about that.

Tom
Old 03-19-2008, 12:47 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Did the dyno runs ever get posted....?
I didn't see them....
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-19-2008, 04:47 PM

Yeah, sorry bout that... I'm still trying to get the guys to email them up here... They say they've sent them a number of times already, but I haven't seen them... Worst case is that I'll be back down there the weekend of the 30th and I'll just bring a flash drive or a CD and burn them to it and bring them back with me...

~ Chris

Old 03-19-2008, 06:52 PM
word words wording

Send a message via AIM to SomethingElse Send a message via MSN to SomethingElse
hehuh politics ......

Rebuilt P/S pump info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=50918

If your car wont start info... http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...ighlight=click
Old 03-19-2008, 06:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMarineSVX View Post
Yeah, sorry bout that... I'm still trying to get the guys to email them up here... They say they've sent them a number of times already, but I haven't seen them... Worst case is that I'll be back down there the weekend of the 30th and I'll just bring a flash drive or a CD and burn them to it and bring them back with me...

~ Chris
I am sorry to have to say this but, this directly illustrates the lack of reliability I have always expressed relative to "dyno" measurements. In this instance, particularly in respect of the sincerity and ability of operators.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!