Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-30-2004, 05:30 AM

Wheel Brearing Preparation

I have received my new rear wheel bearings, and am planning to install them this weekend. From reading prior threads, I understand that, prior to installation, the lube in which the bearings were shipped must be cleaned out, and the bearings must then be packed with a suitable wheel bearing grease.

How does one disassemble the bearing units to clean and repack them? It's not obvious to me that the bearing can be removed from its housing for this purpose.

Any help appreciated.

Joe Fillip
Swarthmore, PA
'95 L AWD ("THe Wayback Machine")
Old 03-30-2004, 08:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Exclamation

Joe,

Be careful what you do here.

First, it is never necessary to disassemble the bearings for the job. You merely wipe off the packing grease, which would have been originally put there as an antioxidant to stop it rusting in storage. Then you fill it up all round with the correct grade of grease before fitment.

Second, there has been a recent [late last year maybe?] technical bulletin from SOA. This states that new bearings from the company are now packed in the correct stuff, which is not to be removed, but used as is. You need to know how "new" the bearings you have are. Should be possible to check this by quoting the serial number to a Subaru dealer, who should then be able to check on computer if it is the newer type.

There is a recent thread on here {Technical, I think?] with details about this change. Run a search and check it out before putting unnecessary work on yourself. If the serial number pans out and you are not sure if you have upgraded bearings or not, don't take a chance, wipe away what you can and put the proper stuff on before you fit.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 03-30-2004, 08:54 AM

Thanks for that advice.

I guess I wasn't being clear in my original post. Since I sent it, I've had an opportunity to look at some photos of the bearing assembly that are posted elsewhere on the web site.

It appears that the bearing assembly consists of a cylindrical metal housing, with a roller bearing placed like a cap into the opening at each end of the cylinder. The bearings are then held in place by a smaller metal cylinder that is inserted into the holes in the centers of the two roller bearings. That smaller cylinder splits into two pieces, and is in turn held in place by a cylindrical plastic retainer.

So, if I remove the retainer, I should be able to remove the two halves of the inner metal cylinder, and should be able to remove the two roller bearings from the metal housing. Then, without any further disassembly of the roller bearings themselves, I should be able to clean and regrease the roller bearings.

Does all of this sound correct?

Thanks. -- Joe
Old 03-30-2004, 08:58 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
If you do have a set of the bearings that do not have the proper wheel bearing grease, I recommend that you thoroughly remove the packing grease. Wiping down the bearing will not remove enough of the packing grease. Its a caged bearing assembly so there is no problem with pulling them apart. Bearings will not go rolling across the floor. Some people say that the bearings should not be cleaned with solvent because supposedly cleaning with solvent can leave residual solvent on the bearing that can contaminate the grease. I called around to several bearing manufacturers, and they all said that if the bearing does not have the proper grease, it should be cleaned with a solvent prior to packing with proper wheel bearing grease. There is a caveat with the SVX wheel bearing though. The bearing cage is made of plastic. You'll have to choose a solvent that is compatible with plastic and does not leave any residue. I ended up using electronic parts cleaner. I probably used $25 worth of the stuff to get the bearings clean. I think I used brake parts cleaner for the races since there's no plastic there.

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:35 AM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
Need TSB For Wheel Bearings

Anyone have a copy of the WHEEL BEARING TSB? I'm ready to paper-cut my local Subaru dealer with it as I am bringing in my '96 for a 3rd replacement in 11 months.

Grrrrrr.

-Thanks!

Old 04-12-2004, 10:22 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
How. 2

Did you check the How-to section?

See:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?How-To|14255

The TSB mentioned is on a recent thread. You should be able to find it by doing a search.

Also, you will find a lot of info by doing a Google for End Wrench. This will find you the Subaru of America site which has all the TSBs for their service technicians.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 04-12-2004, 11:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to wynndi Send a message via Yahoo to wynndi
Thanks for the tips. I searched this site extensively, no luck. I KNOW that I have seen it here.......

The End Wrench site has bearing info, but no SVX specific info so far.

I'll search for another hour before I take the SVX to the dealer.