Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2004, 05:26 AM
alacrity024

Pulling starter from '95 legacy.. how many bolts?

pulling the starter on my mom's '95 legacy..

the top bolt came out just fine.. i got the power cables disconnected, felt around and found one more bolt securing the motor to the engine casing..

could NOT get at it with any tools..

is this the only other bolt holding the starter on? how the heck do i get at the second bolt? do i need to come in from underneath?

-adam
Old 03-21-2004, 08:48 AM
I live in a drawer!

Send a message via AIM to alex_umn
To my knowledge, there should be only two main bolts holding the starter on, so you just need to work with the hard to get to one now. I can't remember what a Legacy looks like under the hood, but on my SVX it has helped to take out the intake box, and use a couple of extensions on the scoket wrench to make things easier. I guess the question is, what stuff is in the way of getting to tee bolt? Could it be removed?

On an SVX doing this from the underside is annoying because you have to deal with the exhaust coming out of both sides of the engine, but on a Legacy I think the single exhaust is on the right side, with the starter on the left side of the engine. So, on the Legacy, it might be easier to get to from undersneath...sorry if this description isn't providing the best mental picture

Hope this helps!

2000 Specialized RockHopper A1 FS, converted to singlespeed 36:15.

I like my cars with too many gears and my bikes with too few...
Old 03-21-2004, 08:54 AM
alacrity024

well, my spirit is at least a little bit lifted knowing that i've only got one bolt to deal with.. there's tons of hoses and some kind of brace in the way.. i'm not sure what hose goes to what, so i don't want to just start randomly disconnecting them.. a lot of them are too stiff to move out of the way, too.. i might be able to detatch the brace.. i guess i'll have another go at it sometime soon..

thanks

-adam
Old 03-21-2004, 12:14 PM
mark10t

I've had a bunch of Subaru's and any number of them with the starter removed. If I remember correctly, there is only the two bolts holding the body of the starter on- (besides the misc. cabling). Again if memory serves me correctly, the easiest access on a Legacy will be from the bottom for that lower bolt (which threads into the engine bell housing) (17mm I think, too).

Like most all Subaru's- relatively easy to work on.

Good Luck.

-Mark

(My wife had a '95 Outback- now it's the daughter-in-law's.)
Old 03-23-2004, 04:45 AM
Superbeast

You should be able to get the lower nut with a stubby wrench (A gear wrench works well) Once you get it loose it should spin off with your fingers. It is easiest to get from underneath with a long extention and a swivle but I'm guessing that won't be the easiest way for you. Most of the ones I've seen were 17mm but I have run into one or two that were 14mm. It should be easy to tell by feeling it. Good luck.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 03-23-2004, 11:24 AM
alacrity024

it's a 17.. i'm gonna push it into the garage and try to get it on some jackstands.. from what i've read, it's possible that the wires leading to and from the starter may be corroded inside, and that it might not be the starter at all.. i might as well pull the unit and get it tested though.. the wires can't be that hard to replace, can they?

-a
Old 03-23-2004, 12:39 PM
mark10t

You never did say what the problem seemed to be- only that you needed to pull the starter.

What's wrong?

-Mark
Old 03-24-2004, 09:42 AM
alacrity024

car won't start.. heh.

when the ignition is turned, the starter doesn't chug, click, or whine.. nothing at all. there's plenty of juice left in the battery, but the starter just doesn't move. whacking it with a wrench, however, will net one start... then it won't start again until you smack it a good one. i assume the starter is the problem, since hitting it seems to temporarily fix it

-adam
Old 03-25-2004, 07:00 AM
mark10t

Sounds like the solenoid is 'out'.

Did you make sure the key switch currrent is getting to the starter solenoid in the first place?

I had to replace some relay contacts in an earlier Subaru (83)once. The solenoid would engage (click), but no starter action. Cost about $10 in parts from a starter rebuild shop.

-Mark