How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-16-2004, 12:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to KAMzilla77
Exhaust Leak

I just got my svx not too long ago and there's a pretty annoying exhaust leak that seems to coming from the driver's side front. Seeing how I'm in NE it's kinda cold right now to lift the car and check it out. Wondering if there's anyone who had similar problems or heard of such problems. I mean odds of it being the manifold rotted, odds of it being bad manifold gasket, exhaust donut, or maybe hole in converter. Just wanted to know if someone knew of common exhaust leak problem.

Thanx
Old 03-16-2004, 01:44 AM

exhaust leak

KAMzilla77,
There is a gasket between the head and the exh. manifold. NOT a likely leak. Then there is a gasket between the front exh. pipe(the first small cat pipe) and the exh. manifold. NOT a likely leak. Then at the connection of this pipe to the middle, big cat, is a donut. Two pipes,(right and left), so two donuts. This IS a common leak point. Then, (apparently on some cars), at the back of this big cat is another donut, where the pipe going to the resonator pipe attaches.. Another good possible leak point. And finally, at the back of the resonator pipe, going into the muffler, is a donut called a 'seal bearing'. Probably not leaking, or at least not that you could smell up front in the car. Make sense? Good luck!
mile-hi-bri - Brian
Old 03-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

The pipe between the engine and the Y on the big CAT sometimes gets a hole in it right near the bracket that is welded to the pipe. The longer you let it go and the more you drive it the worse it will get no matter if its a hole or a gasket leak.
Old 03-16-2004, 09:48 AM
wvsvx

exhaust leak

Just had the same problem. Just forward of the Y on the drivers side, under the tin cover, it has corroded into two pieces. Pull the tin cover off and inspect--you may be able to weld the hole while keeping it on the vehicle. If not, you will need to pull it off and take it to a welder. I had to do this and then needed to replace both gaskets on the Y converter and the gasket on the drivers side manifold. The gaskets are very expensive so if you can tip a welder to get under your vehicle, you will save money.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:18 AM

Send a message via AIM to KAMzilla77
Thanks for the info. None of the suggestions were right but I appreciate the effort. I went down to my local meineke and the two front cats were cracked right on the seams. So the Migged em back together, cost me $50. Well worth the money saved on two new cats. Once again a welder saves the day!!!!!