Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-25-2004, 06:52 PM
MCMXCII SVX

Newbie - original tranny - recommendations?

Hello everyone! I'm new here so please bear with me...

I'm the original owner of a 92 SVX LS-L. Have had no problems with it. No mods to it at all. 69,000 mainly highway miles and meticulously serviced.

Just recently I noticed the slightest hesitation in the tranny when shifting into drive or reverse. Nothing much, but a tiny delay. Took it to dealer who said "transmission pump is weak". I'm not an engine expert but that didn't sound right. Hadn't heard of a trans pump before. (Is there one on an SVX?) No indications yet of slippage while shifting.

Anyway, was surfing SVX sites when I was surprised to find they are quite prone to tranny problems. (The dealer had never mentioned any SVX tranny problems and I never got any mailings from SOA about them so I was blissfully ignorant of that fact until just recently.)

Now I'm worried that this may be the start of the dreaded tranny failure that has afflicted so many of us. With so many having experienced tranny problems, I'm looking for advice on the best path forward. Here's your chance to recommend what you would do with an untouched tranny...

1) Is this a sign of the tranny starting to fail?

2) What mods do you recommend to extend the engine/tranny life of this great vehicle? (I've read thru other threads and I gather that a cooler should be added?)

3) Is it advisable to drive as is (vacation trip coming up) or should I forego putting mileage on it for now?

4) Does anyone know of a good SVX shop in East Tennessee, Southwest Virginia, or Western North Carolina?

Knowing what you do now, what would you do if it were your SVX? Thanks!
Old 02-25-2004, 07:46 PM
Paxton71

early warning on tranny

There sure is a pump in your tranny. It isn't the usual failure point in these things however. If they say the pump is weak, ask 'em what the line pressure is.

I think your symptoms = loose shift band.

First, I would check the fluid level.

Next, I would change the fluid if it has been >30,000 miles

After that, I would pull the pan, change the filter, change the fluid. Make sure the tranny cooler line in the radiator isn't clogged. Make sure the campaign filter is installed.
I would consider installing an aftermarket tranny cooler.

Still not right? I would take it to a subaru shop that knows about the svx. Have them adjust the shift bands if there is any adjustment left.

I wouldn't park the car. You bought it to drive it, right? These transmissions fail so frequently, you might as well run it until it is REALLY broken and shellout the big bucks at that point. This way you can start saving now!

I think it'll be low fluid level.
-Pax
Old 02-25-2004, 08:46 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Smile

Welcome to our zoo. I'd consider XII years on tranny number one an anomoly, but a welcomed one. There IS an acceptable time interval between engagement of Drive or Reverse when moving the selector from Park or Neutral. I think it's half a second or so, at least mine has always had a slight delay. Obviously it's new to your car, so I'll let the more techie types than I respond. Check to see if you have a filter installed (a black "tin can" shaped cylinder) below the battery holder. This was dealer added as a "recall" campaign. I assume you've had the fluid drained or flushed at 30K intervals? If it's still pink & doesn't smell burned, it's a good sign. Some folks have over 100K on the original tranny. If you've driven the car sanely, & the box has never been drastically overheated, you may be one of the blessed ones. I'd add the cooler though, as it's cheap insurance. Keep your eye on the Meets Forums as we've had several Smokies get-togethers in Oak Ridge. This year? Who knows.

Happy SVXin' - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.

Last edited by Ron Mummert; 02-25-2004 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:13 PM
SVX Appeal

The Subaru training manual states that "shift lag" is within spec if:

From 'N' to 'D' < 1.2 seconds
From 'N' to 'R' < 1.5 seconds

If the lag is longer, check idle speed ( >600 RPM ), pump pressure, clutch band adjustment.

All automatics have some lag - sometimes it's more or less noticeable.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Welcome to the site. All of the above is good information. I would follow it, but I would also like to make a point to change the fluid if it is not as good as it should be, add a filter if there is not one installed, and get a good tranny cooler. Good luck and enjoy the car.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 02-25-2004, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Took it to dealer who said "transmission pump is weak"
Instead of weak/strong they should have told you whether the line pressure at idle is normal or not. "Weak" is simply an unprofessional term.

There is a pump in transmission that supplies ATF under pressure to clutches in order to engage them. Original 92 transmissions had a frequent failure of a pump gasket that caused internal ATF leakage. The initial symptom was slow to engage gears. If the gasket is broken, line pressure test would show 1/2 normal pressure at idle. "Line pressure test" may sound complicated, but in reality it is little more than hooking a gauge to the test port on transmission and reading the pressure. Kinda like checking tire pressure, the only differences are the special gauge needed and ugly access from under the car around exhaust pipe.

If in doubt, do the line pressure test, this is the best available indicator of transmission health. We can give you the normal pressure readings and the procedures, but a good tranny shop should know all that anyway. The cost of the gauge is not much less than the cost of a test.
Old 02-26-2004, 05:15 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Welcome to our SVX family. I hope that your SVX gives you many miles of pure driving pleasure. Don't worry about the tranny. Make sure you install the external ATF filter kit. Put in synthetic (Mobil 1, Red Line, etc.) ATF and a conditioner. Also, check the ATF dip stick with a white paper towel every 1-2 months. The color of the ATF should look like cranberry juice. If it starts looking brownish, change the ATF.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 02-26-2004, 05:46 PM
MCMXCII SVX

Great information ! Thank you !

"Check to see if you have a filter installed (a black "tin can" shaped cylinder) below the battery holder. This was dealer added as a "recall" campaign. "

It appears to have this installed. Mounted below the battery holder and slightly smaller than an oil filter. Two lines run out of it to/from the bottom of the radiator. If this is the same tranny oil filter kit added for VINs above NH106286 (TSB 16-56-93), then I should have it as my VIN is NH107247. Sound right?

"Also, check the ATF dip stick with a white paper towel every 1-2 months. The color of the ATF should look like cranberry juice. If it starts looking brownish, change the ATF."

I checked the ATF (cold) -- definitely pink and full level. I have had the ATF drained and replaced as recommended. (Less than 5000 miles ago most recently.) Will check level again when warm to verify it is not low.

"Original 92 transmissions had a frequent failure of a pump gasket that caused internal ATF leakage."

Is this the oil pump gasket mentioned in TSB 16-54-94 for SVX tranny ids less than 513102? That would be mine -- tranny id for mine is 377886. Dealer should be able to get parts and do this?

"Instead of weak/strong they should have told you whether the line pressure at idle is normal or not."

I will check back at the dealer to see if they have record of what the line pressure was. (I bet not.) That sounds like good information to know though so I may have to have them check it for me again. Thanks!

Also sounds like the additional tranny cooler is a good idea. Recommendations on what to get and where? Dealer, trans shop, mail order?

"Keep your eye on the Meets Forums as we've had several Smokies get-togethers in Oak Ridge. "

I'll definitely keep my eyes open for that! Less than 2 hours away. Haven't found any vehicle that I enjoy more than this SVX! I think SOA did a horrible job marketing them. Was very disappointed when they stopped manufacturing them.

Looking forward to being a part of this community! I'll update when I find out more. Thanks everyone !
Old 02-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
More than likely it's the pump gasket allowing the pump to suck air and not 100% fluid. This lowers the pressure, especially at lower revs. Catch it quickly before excessive friction wear becomes an issue. Also there are a number of other TSBs that pertain to your transmission (I see you listed some, but didn't bother to read through them. I've seen all of them in the past.) I would suggest having all of the updates done while the trans is out for the pump gasket.