Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 08-27-2003, 10:10 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Ferrite bead inductor.

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au
The Ferrite bead is an inductor with a single turn winding.
It is used to slow the rise time of a signal to the computer. Removing it just allows a faster response to the signal. The size of it would suggest that its effect would be in the low micro sec range.

That said, I have no idea what signal it is or what the signal is used for.

Harvey.
Harvey a ferrite bead IS a ferrite bead and that IS the item being crushed. If one or several turns are taken through a ferrite bead the complete component, so formed, constitutes an inductor.

A ferrite bead can have a single wire through it without a turn and still perform a function. From all that has been in print here this would appear to be what is being described. Have you examined the item or can someone else describe its physical make up? If there is a turn through the bead this would be in danger of being broken as it must be of small cross section.

Your stated fact re " slows the rise time of an input signal " is an interesting conjecture to say the least, given the constant being discussed.

But whatever -- the CRUSHED component IS a ferrite bead. No more and no less.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-29-2003, 06:36 PM
Superbeast

Re: Re: standard hesitation

Quote:
Originally posted by Chicane

This could explain my poor reaction times and 16.7 second 1/4 mile times at the drag strip. I've used a 'practice tree' before and usually get .5-.7 but at the strip the best I could get was a 1.3 or something pathetic like that, and it seems like the car was like "uhh... hmm... OH YEAH! GO!!!!!"

So should I crush this sucker AND install the shift kit??

- Rob

Yes. I,v heard you describe your cars attitued and I think you might have this problem. It work for me and I'm so fricken happy I could just kick my self for not doing it a long time ago.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:51 PM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Might be doing that stuff this weekend then.

- Rob
Old 08-29-2003, 08:04 PM
FearWhat

I will prob be getting it done Sunday. I will post what the results were as well. I hope it kills that hesitation
Old 08-30-2003, 06:09 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Re: Ferrite bead inductor.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Harvey a ferrite bead IS a ferrite bead and that IS the item being crushed. If one or several turns are taken through a ferrite bead the complete component, so formed, constitutes an inductor.

A ferrite bead can have a single wire through it without a turn and still perform a function. From all that has been in print here this would appear to be what is being described. Have you examined the item or can someone else describe its physical make up? If there is a turn through the bead this would be in danger of being broken as it must be of small cross section.

Your stated fact re " slows the rise time of an input signal " is an interesting conjecture to say the least, given the constant being discussed.

But whatever -- the CRUSHED component IS a ferrite bead. No more and no less.
' Ferrite Bead ' is a laymans term for a Toroidal inductor. Passing a wire through it constitutes a turn.
It is an Inductor.

Harvey.

edited with thanks to Trevor for pointing out my errors.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.

Last edited by oab_au; 08-31-2003 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Anti-BS Vigilante

Send a message via ICQ to Chicane Send a message via AIM to Chicane
Re: Re: Re: Ferrite bead inductor.

Quote:
Passing a wire through it constitutes a turn.
I don't quite see that. Sorry.

- Rob
Old 08-31-2003, 11:18 AM
FearWhat

I am just about to do the MOD, I go into my draw, and Find that all my eletrical tape is gone!! LOL. Well I will be posting my results in a few hours
Old 08-31-2003, 03:16 PM

Registered SVX
Use masking tape, a medical plaster or whatever. The idea it would appear is to stop the debry falling into the works.

Please advise as exactly as you can the physical make up of the component.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-31-2003, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Ferrite bead inductor.

Quote:

' Ferrite Bead ' is a law mans term for a Toroidal inductor. Passing a wire through it constitutes a turn.
It is an Inductor.

Harvey.
Harvey you are wrong what ever your confusing use of English is meant to convey.

" law mans " ??? ( layman's ) ???

Even a bush lawyer would not make such a blatant error !!!! The application of precise and accurate text is the basis of his training and trade. Technical knowledge is not required in respect of the correct use of the noun in question. An inductor in an electrical sense is a device which introduces an inductance into an electrical circuit . A ferrite bead does not perform this function and is not an inductor.

It is surely ironic and significant that a prime application of a ferrite bead is to increase the inductance of an inductor i.e. the entirely separate item which is run through it and can often comprise a straight conductor. The entirely separate INDUCTOR passes THROUGH the bead. The exact reason the old fashioned term has been coined to describe it.

Ferrite cores ( and the animal discussed here could very well be one ) are often similar to a bead and it is not too inaccurate to mix the terms. These are used to reduce EMI ( electromagnetic interference ) induced or radiated by an INDUCTOR.

The core of a transformer is a core. A core integral with an inductor, i.e. a conductor wound on it, is a transformer.

A toroid is a toroid. A toroid with a winding on it becomes a TOROIDAL INDUCTOR, usually in the form of a transformer or choke.

By the same token a ferrite core is just that and no more and a ferrite bead IS A FERRITE BEAD and no more and certainly nothing else.

Your continued efforts to justify, rather than accept your errors, is a disservice to members wishing to learn from the technical information presented here and I will continue to remain vigilant in their defence.

Old 08-31-2003, 06:56 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ferrite bead inductor.

Quote:

- Rob
Thats because your still on the Honeymoon.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor

Harvey you are wrong what ever your confusing use of English is meant to convey.

" law mans " ??? ( layman's ) ???

Even a bush lawyer would not make such a blatant error !!!! The application of precise and accurate text is the basis of his training and trade. Technical knowledge is not required in respect of the correct use of the noun in question. An inductor in an electrical sense is a device which introduces an inductance into an electrical circuit . A ferrite bead does not perform this function and is not an inductor.

It is surely ironic and significant that a prime application of a ferrite bead is to increase the inductance of an inductor i.e. the entirely separate item which is run through it and can often comprise a straight conductor. The entirely separate INDUCTOR passes THROUGH the bead. The exact reason the old fashioned term has been coined to describe it.

Ferrite cores ( and the animal discussed here could very well be one ) are often similar to a bead and it is not too inaccurate to mix the terms. These are used to reduce EMI ( electromagnetic interference ) induced or radiated by an INDUCTOR.

The core of a transformer is a core. A core integral with an inductor, i.e. a conductor wound on it, is a transformer.

A toroid is a toroid. A toroid with a winding on it becomes a TOROIDAL INDUCTOR, usually in the form of a transformer or choke.

By the same token a ferrite core is just that and no more and a ferrite bead IS A FERRITE BEAD and no more and certainly nothing else.

Your continued efforts to justify, rather than accept your errors, is a disservice to members wishing to learn from the technical information presented here and I will continue to remain vigilant in their defence.
Gee I am glad that I have you to correct my English. Don't know what I would do with out you.

Harvey.

Old 08-31-2003, 07:16 PM

Registered SVX
Your sarcasm does not negate the fact that your statement of fact is wrong. This IS the essence of my post.

P.S. I now notice that you have promptly corrected your post and the " law man " as been obliterated by the " layman " . Honestly ! ?

Last edited by Trevor; 09-01-2003 at 02:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2003, 09:12 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

- Rob
Rob you deserve the respect of a proper reply to your genuine query.

When a conductor is passed through an item which senses inductance the in and out ends do not have to be brought physically together to form to a turn as such. The effective portion of what would have been a true turn, had a second been made, through say a toroid or a ferrite bead, is in place and passes current. The turn or loop does not have to physically complete as long as one electrical path is present within and through the device.

Not an easy one to put into words. Your query shows that as usual you are thinking.

Regards, Trevor.

Old 08-31-2003, 09:52 PM
FearWhat

Well I did is a while ago hhehe. but just finished taking car out The results, YEAHH!!! no Hesitation

Well thanks for all this info and the how to as well.

talk to you all later.
Old 08-31-2003, 10:06 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
im taking mine out now. what a pain in the ass. definitely not good for my back. took half an hour to get the nuts out. one of them fell in my eye. 'x_o
lets see how long it takes to actually get the ecu out.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.