Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 04-19-2011, 02:46 PM

Antenna

Does anyone know if it is there is a replacement for the stock antenna that is not another antenna. Meaning is there an aftermarket receiver type part that you would see on the roof of a present day car? If anybody has any ideas throw them out.

Kind of like this
Old 04-19-2011, 03:43 PM

Re: Antenna

hope this isn't hijacking but mine snapped clean off...it looks like crap to have a little bit of metal left. Instructions on how to remove it entirely?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
hope this isn't hijacking but mine snapped clean off...it looks like crap to have a little bit of metal left. Instructions on how to remove it entirely?
There are instructions in the How-To-Documents section. That's where i had the idea
Old 04-19-2011, 03:56 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregondave View Post
That is definitely hijacking . Uncover the antenna motor from inside the trunk, being careful not to break any of the clips that hold the trunkliner to the frame. Locate antenna motor. Unplug it. Loosen the 3 bolts holding it. Don't have to take them off yet. Where antenna sticks out of the car there's a round piece on top with two holes/indentations on the inside of the hole on either side. This piece needs to be unscrewed. I used a needle nose pliers; use whatever works without destroying it. When you unscrew that and take the 3 bolts off, the assembly will drop down into the car. This is also a chance to replace that rubber cone thingy that the antenna pokes through with a new one, since it's probably all crappy looking by now.

I have a replacement antenna/motor in good shape; if you want it, PM me.

Back to the original thread: You can use another antenna but I don't think any that stick on the roof will look right. All you would have to do is run an antenna cable up to wherever you put it and make a hole in the roof for it to pass through. If I were going to shave the antenna, I'd put an antenna inside the trunk lid, where it's out of sight, but should get alright reception since the trunk is fiberglass.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I think he meant he would like to put one in the oem spot that is like the modern day ones you see on the roof of cars today. Also wondering if any factory ones from other cars will work?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-19-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
That is definitely hijacking . Uncover the antenna motor from inside the trunk, being careful not to break any of the clips that hold the trunkliner to the frame. Locate antenna motor. Unplug it. Loosen the 3 bolts holding it. Don't have to take them off yet. Where antenna sticks out of the car there's a round piece on top with two holes/indentations on the inside of the hole on either side. This piece needs to be unscrewed. I used a needle nose pliers; use whatever works without destroying it. When you unscrew that and take the 3 bolts off, the assembly will drop down into the car. This is also a chance to replace that rubber cone thingy that the antenna pokes through with a new one, since it's probably all crappy looking by now.

I have a replacement antenna/motor in good shape; if you want it, PM me.

Back to the original thread: You can use another antenna but I don't think any that stick on the roof will look right. All you would have to do is run an antenna cable up to wherever you put it and make a hole in the roof for it to pass through. If I were going to shave the antenna, I'd put an antenna inside the trunk lid, where it's out of sight, but should get alright reception since the trunk is fiberglass.
haha thanks dude, you rock!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
I think he meant he would like to put one in the oem spot that is like the modern day ones you see on the roof of cars today. Also wondering if any factory ones from other cars will work?
Oh, I see. Still, most modern cars have the roof mount ones and there's no way to get one of those to fit in the stock location.

Some normal antennas from factory cars would probably work, but I can't think of a way to make them work or look better than stock.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Old 04-19-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
yeah, i was wondering if you could use the roof ones over the oem spot ya know? i feel like it would look so much cleaner than the metal rod. plus you don't have to worry about a motor on those breaking.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:42 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

The picture you showed is for sat. radio like XM etc. The SVX has two antennas that uses whichever one has the best signal. the 2nd one is part of the rear window defogger and antenna. Of course the antenna in the rear fender will likely pick up the best signal. Take care, BOBB
Old 04-20-2011, 02:40 AM
One teal and One yellow

My yellow has no antenna in the rear quarter panel. That hole has been sealed. The radio still works fine, maybe as not clear/stereo as my Teal which still has the stock antenna(up and down).

Imo, this antenna makes our cars look old, modern cars do not have this kind of antenna anymore. If I ever try to take pics for my Teal, the radio will always be off.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-20-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX View Post
My yellow has no antenna in the rear quarter panel. That hole has been sealed. The radio still works fine, maybe as not clear/stereo as my Teal which still has the stock antenna(up and down).

Imo, this antenna makes our cars look old, modern cars do not have this kind of antenna anymore. If I ever try to take pics for my Teal, the radio will always be off.
So you just removed the rear antenna from yours and it still works?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Oh they'll still work but not really well depending on where you live. I live in the mountains so I doubt I'd get as good signal than I would with an antenna. Luckily for me, I hate local radio and listen to Pandora instead.

I am really interested in what one of the more modern ones would look like covering that hole where ours are though.
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-20-2011, 10:44 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Why not put it on the roof? I think that would look good on a SVX.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-20-2011, 11:05 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
Why not put it on the roof? I think that would look good on a SVX.
I don't think any of the usual roof antennas would look ok on the SVX (just my opinion though and I'd love someone to find one that works). Plus it would be a pain to wire it up, and you'd have to drill a hole in the roof. Getting a "normal" vertical stick antenna and sticking it in the trunklid I think is probably the best bet and would obviously be completely hidden.

(Again, just my opinion)

Old 04-22-2011, 04:06 AM
One teal and One yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCarRacer4069 View Post
So you just removed the rear antenna from yours and it still works?
yeah, it still works. Not too much problems in my area.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: