SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-02-2011, 08:27 AM

Registered SVX
Re: The plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
Some of you may remember I have been thinking of modding my 80k mile SVX. Every time I decide to do it, I back out. I just cant seem to justify it anymore. I dunno if I have finally "grown up" (yikes!) or if I had a major shift in priorities. I really want a CTSv but again, I can justify the 70k price tag. Maybe in a few yrs given GM's notorious used car values!

Anyway, I have got to do some work to the SVX. The struts and strut mounts are toast. My muffler has a huge dent in it from a broken piece of asphalt and the cat is rattling.

Parts to order:
Struts- OE or Koni inserts. I have never used the inserts but I doubt the process is very difficult. OE struts & strut mounts installed 2/1/11. $1,024 (including new antenna).

Lowering springs- I have got to get the Subaru nose in the air look fixed. Cut 1 coil from each front spring 2/1/11. Free

Catalytic converter- If I can find the Magnaflow 2 into 1 p/n. Did not use

Muffler- Probably a Magnaflow 3rd gen F-body single in, dual out in the 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 range. Installed 2 1/4 true dual exhaust 1/27/11 $684

Bushings- I'd like to pick up a full set of poly bushings if they are still being made.

Wheels- Either a set of STi BBS or Some other light wheel. I may even have a look at what deals are being offered on Rota's.

Antenna- Got to replace my broken motor. Installed new OEM 2/1/11

Interior dash trim- The idea is to remove all the fake wood crap and wrap it in 3M DI-NOC Carbon Fiber vinyl. http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/ Installed the 3M film 1/7/11 $200 for a 96x48 roll. This is way oversize for just the interior trim

Trunk lift supports- Replaced 2/1/11 $62

Trans- 5MT or 6MT swap

Tuning- Hydra Nemesis or Ostrich emulator in the stock ECU.

CAI- Custom made from the T/B forward.

Its going to be a busy month. I have been putting this off for too long. I have been REALLY considering a 5MT swap. The cost seems really high though. We will see. Hopefully next yr I can get a CTSv and then start a EJ25 swap on the SVX!
I bought the energy suspension front bushings. ENS-9-5105R STABILIZER BUSHING SET 11/16 from summitracing. And I am getting the 22mm rear kit from nevin which comes with the poly bushings. The ones from summit for the front need to be open up about .5mm to fit there is a complete writeup on the forum.
I did my CAI with specter piping from any auto parts store I think I spent about $75 for it I bought a piece at a time till I had it all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
Your car sounds GREAT in person. I hope the addition of resonators will get mine closer to yours. We are using pretty much the exact set up with the exception that I am running an H-pipe and resonators instead of glass packs.

And though you cant see it, the pipe is replaced all the way into the tips and then shaped to match the opening. I doubt there is any restriction there.
Thank you I too am very pleased with how it sounds. I think with some resonators yours should sound very good.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

I am supposed to go back to the muffler shop and have the resonators & ball & socket flanges added to the exhaust. The flanges will go just past the trans to facilitate easy removal. I have a bunch of 3" mandrel bent U & J bends left over from my 88 Fiero GT 3800sc swap. I am thinking of having Chris fab up a CAI while its there.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:06 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

After driving the car for a bit the suspension has settled to the following (measured from the ground to the center of the wheel arch):

LF 26"
RF 26 1/8th
L rear 25 7/8th
R rear 25 3/4

So the car seats nearly level front to back now. No more nose in the air look!

*note I have been lazy and haven't taken it in to get aligned yet. But I really don't care about the old tires on the car.