Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-13-2010, 03:52 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX
1992 LSL security system trouble

So.. here's the deal... I just recently got a 1992 SVX LSL with the security system and the guy in Washington lost the original key or somthing so all I have is three un-original spare keys and no remote.

Today my dad was pulling it out of the shop and the alarm would not stop going off and the car wouldn't start and we have to key fob to turn it off.

How can the security system be deactivated so I can use my car?

p.s. I was in the process of taking my lights out of the car to PDR some dents (the front lights are out)
Old 12-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Registered SVX
Re: 1992 LSL security system trouble

This help maybe?
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=53919

Or try using:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/search.php
Where it says search entire posts, switch that to search Titles only.
Then search for alarm.

and welcome to the forum.
Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wohnson89 View Post
So.. here's the deal... I just recently got a 1992 SVX LSL with the security system and the guy in Washington lost the original key or somthing so all I have is three un-original spare keys and no remote.

Today my dad was pulling it out of the shop and the alarm would not stop going off and the car wouldn't start and we have to key fob to turn it off.

How can the security system be deactivated so I can use my car?

p.s. I was in the process of taking my lights out of the car to PDR some dents (the front lights are out)
Unlock door, open, alarm will go off. Get in, turn the headlight switch to the parking lights, turn ignition on, turn headlight switch to off. This should deactivate it. Then make sure you press the security button to turn it off.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal LS-L View Post
Unlock door, open, alarm will go off. Get in, turn the headlight switch to the parking lights, turn ignition on, turn headlight switch to off. This should deactivate it. Then make sure you press the security button to turn it off.
So that completely deactivates the security system? How do I turn it back on once I get a new key fob?

@Lookin4SVX

Thanks for the welcome wagon
I'm not completely new to the inter-webs so I sorta knew what a search button was, and yes I did do a search for this before I posted and came up with nothing, except the owners manual pages.
Old 12-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:
or... simply unhook the negative battery terminal, hook it right back up, open the drivers door and push the blinking security switch one time. It will stop blinking and all is well.

Anytime the battery is disconnected, that will have to be done after the battery is reconnected.

Keith
Old 12-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
So that completely deactivates the security system? How do I turn it back on once I get a new key fob?

@Lookin4SVX

Thanks for the welcome wagon
I'm not completely new to the inter-webs so I sorta knew what a search button was, and yes I did do a search for this before I posted and came up with nothing, except the owners manual pages.
Deactivates yes, then to keep it from rearming automatically you would want to press the security button once to turn it off. Its good to know the procedure anyways... Ive had to use it when my old keyfob was on the fritz. This way you dont have to pop the hood at least..

Chris

RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Deactivates yes, then to keep it from rearming automatically you would want to press the security button once to turn it off. Its good to know the procedure anyways... Ive had to use it when my old keyfob was on the fritz. This way you dont have to pop the hood at least..

Chris
Chris, when I put the cable back on my battery, I already have the hood popped anyway!

Keith
Old 12-14-2010, 01:10 AM

Registered SVX

I have just recently bought my 92 lsl too with one key and no fob. My alarm has never went off but I have had the battery unplung several times working on it. Does anyone know how to get a fob and get it activated?
Old 12-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Avalanche Alcyoneer

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Chris, when I put the cable back on my battery, I already have the hood popped anyway!

Keith
I can imagine! However who knows if his hood was still up, and I wanted him to know how to do it without popping his hood, in case it happened later on.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
I can imagine! However who knows if his hood was still up, and I wanted him to know how to do it without popping his hood, in case it happened later on.
Sorry Chris, I didn't explain it very well.
My 92 with 200.000 + miles on it will sound the alarm shortly after the battery is reconnected when it has been disconnected for any reason. The key unlocking the door will not stop it nor using the switch, ignition or push button to try to stop it. The only way is to disconnect the battery.

The security system was not on before the battery was disconnected, but when reconnected, the light starts blinking on the push button security switch... every time.

If I remember to immediately open the door and turn the system off with the push-button switch, no problem! I am getting pretty good at doing that every time now after driving off a few times and having the alarm come on.

Keith
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
At home in the flatland

Registered SVX

Soo..... here is the new problem.... that sequence that I was given to shut of the alarm by SoCal LS-L, isn't working because for some reason the key that I have will not unlock the door but it does turn the car on, so i have no way of doing the first step in that sequence. The shop just had to disconnect the horn and the lights to keep it from going bananas and blowing everyone's ears out every time you opened the door.

As I said before, I don't have the original keys or remote, and the button on the dash that turns the system off isn't turning it off.

Anyone who has a remote for the security system I am very interested in buying it.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:58 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

New remotes are only like $50 from subaru and you can find cheaper ebay replacements as well. Problem here is that if the security button's not working then you won't be able to program the new remote in the first place. Try "exercising" the button (keep pushing it repeatedly) to see if it starts to work, sometimes the buttons can be finicky. If that doesn't work you might want to replace that set of switches and then if that doesn't fix it, then I'd replace the security module (one from any year SVX will work). The '92s are said to have issues with that module.

Or, if you don't care about the alarm system working at all, you can just unplug the module. It sits above the glovebox in the single-airbag cars (92, 93, & early 94). Kind of a pain to get to, but doable. Ask how to do it before you start, you'll be glad you did.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 01-22-2011, 02:26 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
New remotes are only like $50 from subaru and you can find cheaper ebay replacements as well. Problem here is that if the security button's not working then you won't be able to program the new remote in the first place. Try "exercising" the button (keep pushing it repeatedly) to see if it starts to work, sometimes the buttons can be finicky. If that doesn't work you might want to replace that set of switches and then if that doesn't fix it, then I'd replace the security module (one from any year SVX will work). The '92s are said to have issues with that module.

Or, if you don't care about the alarm system working at all, you can just unplug the module. It sits above the glovebox in the single-airbag cars (92, 93, & early 94). Kind of a pain to get to, but doable. Ask how to do it before you start, you'll be glad you did.
If you unplug the security module will the power locks still work?
Old 01-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Hi Mr. Penguin!

Registered SVX

Quote:
Anyone who has a remote for the security system I am very interested in buying it.
These work great and they ship quickly- likely faster than you'll find a factory remote.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-S...Q5fAccessories
Old 01-23-2011, 10:00 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
If you unplug the security module will the power locks still work?
Yes they will. Just not via the remote.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album