Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-17-2010, 11:48 AM

Why does it move? (was why doesn't it move)

I picked up this '92 LS-L for parts last week with a locked up front diff that wouldn't roll when we tried to tow it, so I removed the right front axle as suggested which released the wheels so we could roll it onto a flatbed. I got it started last night and just for fun dropped it into gear to see what would happen, and to my surprise was able to drive it back and forth a few feet in my driveway- with only one front axle! (FWD fuse was not in)

So I guess my question is, where is the power going to move it? Just to the back wheels? The left axle only? Is the differential really locked up, or could it have been something wrong with the RF axle (which was clearly the original one for the car).

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Why does it move? (was why doesn't it move)

Did your quantum physics sensor illuminate?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

The rear wheels will make the car go which is likely what happened. With an open front differential, all the power went to the side without the axle which then caused it to put power to the rear wheels as it sensed no traction from the front. It could be that the axle was shot but also, the front differential could be shot.
What was the reason for it being a parts car in the first place, any idea?
Old 09-17-2010, 02:35 PM

Send a message via AIM to StatGSR

^ isn't there only 2 reasons why an SVX ever becomes a parts car. The car was in an accident, or the transmission went out.

just saying since i have never heard of or seen any other reason for a SVX to be a parts car....
Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

Seller had the front diff lock up on him on the freeway- he said he ran the fluid out, or didn't know it needed fluid or something. He lives in an apartment and didn't have anywhere to work on it or money to fix it. He actually sold it out from under me a few weeks ago to a girl who was going to drop the engine in her Vanagon, then the girl changed her mind and decided to drop in an EJ25, so she sold it to me. The body & interior are in fair/poor condition, but I have an extra tranny I might drop in. It only has 127k miles and the engine sounds great.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 09-17-2010, 05:03 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
^ isn't there only 2 reasons why an SVX ever becomes a parts car. The car was in an accident, or the transmission went out.

just saying since i have never heard of or seen any other reason for a SVX to be a parts car....
not always the case... hence me asking since from his previous thread it sounded like the diff was locked up.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post

Some have died simply because the owner tried to sell but couldn't get what they thought the car was worth, so they parted it out.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 09-17-2010, 06:34 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
He actually sold it out from under me a few weeks ago to a girl who was going to drop the engine in her Vanagon, then the girl changed her mind and decided to drop in an EJ25,
Stupid girl!
Old 09-17-2010, 09:59 PM

The girl who bought it first told me the EJ25/Vanagon conversion kit is cheaper than the EG33 kit and she thinks the EJ25 is 'more reliable'-- I didn't mention the chronic problem earlier EJ25's have with head gaskets blowing. Even with 175 hp from an EJ25, she's getting almost double the HP she'd get from a stock Vanagon engine, and if someone cut up an Outback wagon to get the EJ25, who cares.

I have mixed feelings about her because she was going to give me the SVX (minus the engine) for next to nothing after she pulled the engine. Parting it out would have been a no-brainer then. Now instead I have another intact SVX that I paid more than I should have for, and I hate to part out a running car. Time will tell whether this deal ultimately pays for itself.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner

Last edited by davew833; 09-17-2010 at 10:06 PM.