How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-02-2010, 05:47 AM

Registered SVX
Re: axel nut

You could try a "nut splitter". I dont remember the proper name but it kind of looks like a gear puller with a threaded chisel on it. just make a nice little nitch with a sawz-all or rotary tool and set the chisel end in it. then crank down till...pop! My dad used to have one and it came in pretty handy sometimes.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 06-02-2010, 06:38 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The vice grips, pipe wrench and nut splitter all require access to the side of the nut. The axle nut sits in that recess of the hub, your only access is from the front.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamesy View Post
socket fits fine when i tried taking it off it was seized to the point where the socket stripped the nut then i tried using the impact and that made it worse lol
Goodwill takes used tools. Sockets are available that will not fail while attempting to remove a nut. On my 90 legacy i could pick up the wheel off the ground trying to remove my Axle nut... my first ever attempt to do one... turned the breaker bar over and even stood on it... 230 lb and it never gave... got the 10 ft 3/4 inch galvanized pipe on the breaker bar and it gave right up. I cannot imagine a quality socket failing on a task like removing a nut.

Hope you get it worked out. That is a tough one.

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 06-02-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:34 PM

I don't remember what size it is sorry but I would recommend NOT using a 12 point socket if you are. You want a six point to match the nut, if you have the correct size socket and your nut is stripped from using a 12 point socket you may have to tap the 6 point down with a hammer, once flush use a breaker bar and cheater bar. Worst case scenario you match it up to the next size smaller standard or metric socket that just almost fits and whack it on with a hammer.

As long as your socket is still secure you should be good until the nut spins. Once you get a bit of a turn a typical impact should be able to remove it the rest of the way.

Also as suggested soak it in PB blaster or WD-40.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

It's a 32 mm, or 1 1/4", and yes you should use a 6 point but he is beyond that, now it's time for the grinding wheel with a cut off disk.

I've done many axle nut's on my different Soob's and all these posts are correct, normally it's a matter of PB Blaster and a bigger bar. Last summer I went to do the axle on my SVX. The impact broke it loose and got about 2 turns off, then stopped. There must have been a bad thread?? The nut seized tight. The impact wrench was having no effect, so get the breaker bar, not budging... heat (I was replacing the bearing), nothing... 4' bar, nothing... 6' bar on the end of the 4' bar with me (250#) putting all my weight on it, bouncing up and down. Figure about 2000 ft/lb?? ended up breaking the the breaker bar sending the cheater with my fist wrapped around it into the pavement with all my weight behind it..... OUCH!!!!!! ****!!!!! Son of a *****, piece of **** car!!!!!

After I got my hands out of the ice bath I made in my sink, I got out the cut off wheel and cut the nut away...
Old 06-02-2010, 08:09 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

This sounds pretty bad, sorry. Do you have a small cutoff wheel. Don't do this without consulting others. Maybe you could cut the nut in half If the axle is stripped what do you have to loose.

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 06-03-2010, 05:14 AM

Registered SVX

to be honest i done really care too much for the axel. since its off a parts car, if i can save it fine, if not i'm cutting it off at the shaft :P