Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2010, 09:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath
AEM Wideband sensors

how does the AEM wide band work, im a little confused, i was going to order through work (20%off, whoo!) in a few months, but dont know yet. will these replace the stock units? as in, will the stock computer read off of the new sensors, while giveing the reader an accurate reading? also, what about placement, are people using the dual channel sensor? or just one after the cat/y-pipe?

sorry, im a bit of a noob when it comes to engine management, im trying to learn, but have more questions than answers at this point!
Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: AEM Wideband sensors

+1 for how wideband sensors work, I tried asking one of my auto teachers and he kinda gave me a half assed bs answer that just confused me more... I'm still not sure how this works. I'll always be one to say I'll forever be forward about something I don't know, knowledge is power, share it if you have it, don't bs it if you don't
Old 04-14-2010, 03:57 AM

Registered SVX

Wide band lambda meters can't run off your existing O2 sensors. The factory Subaru sensors are narrow band, and have too small a range and operate too slowly. They are really only good for running closed loop under very limited circumstances, defaulting to open loop more often. They are also known to cycle meaning they read rich-lean-rich-lean which isn't useful when you want ultra fast real time control.

Proper wide band lamda sensors will register much higher/lower mixture ranges and operate much faster. They sniff the exhaust gas measuring the amount of oxygen...because the ECU knows how much air (via the MAF) and fuel (via injector pulse length) it put in, it can reverse engineer the mixtures.

With a factory ECU (particularly where it's NA, and you can't force a lean condition by overboosting like in a turbo), the benefits of a wideband are pretty small. You can use it to monitor what the Subaru ECU is doing, but because there's no input back into the ECU that you can feed the lambda readings, you only get some numbers that you can look at or write down.

In my case, Megasquirt, as with other programmable ECU's, you can run the perfect condition. That is, set a target AFR within the ECU, then feed the wideband readings into the ECU as if it was another sensor (like TPS, CAS etc). The ECU then adjusts mixtures real time and can run in closed loop all the time. Theoretically, it's the perfect way to run an engine...reality is that a fixed AFR across the entire rev range will not develop the most power.

As a tuning tool, widebands are priceless.

Last edited by dynomatt; 04-14-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:31 PM

so say i went with the AEM wideband sensors, can i use these to replace my stock sensors?
Old 04-24-2010, 05:20 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

so is there a particular model or something we need to get one for the SVX???
Old 04-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
so say i went with the AEM wideband sensors, can i use these to replace my stock sensors?
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
With a factory ECU (particularly where it's NA, and you can't force a lean condition by overboosting like in a turbo), the benefits of a wideband are pretty small. You can use it to monitor what the Subaru ECU is doing, but because there's no input back into the ECU that you can feed the lambda readings, you only get some numbers that you can look at or write down.
I'm not sure the factory ECU would even be able to read the signals from wideband sensors. It's looking for a narrowband signal.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 04-25-2010, 11:27 PM

ah, ok, i understand, its strictly for monitoring purpose!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

As far as the stock ECU is concerned, yes. With aftermarket engine management the signal can be fed into the computer and used to tune/run the car.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

So with my Hydra what do I need
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I'm no expert on tuning and setting up engine management. As the designated Hydra distributor, YT is probably the best person to talk to, or your tuner.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Hydra has their own wideband sensor... It is a standard LL2 (i think) which comes with a pigtail and harness to pin directly into the ECM... You can plot your target AFR on a 32x32 load/rpm map and set up the ECM to calculate the desired duty cycle for the injectors to reach the desired AFR...

Problem is, there is so much work into setting it up, it is really just easier to tuned based on injector milliseconds... The wideband is still needed to get accurate readings

Tom