Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-29-2002, 07:32 AM

dang battery!!

okay i don't know if this is the battery or the alternator...

first episode about 1 1/2 months ago...

some of you probably remember this one. i was in a parking lot with my stereo going and the stereo shut off while the car was still running, then i shut the car off, then it wouldn't start, so i jumped it...

second episode about 3 weeks ago...

i stopped at a quick check to pick something up, turned everything off before turning my car off was in the store for about 5 minutes, come out try to start my car....nothing....

third episode last night

came down my driveway, shut everything off....went inside for like 2 minutes came out to restart my car...dead again!

everytime the idiot lights come on with the rest of the interiors. i know it is not the starter...is it the battery or the alternator?!?! thanks for everyone's help!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:41 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
2 things automatically come to mind:

Shifter position (try both park and neutral)
Loose connection to the battery (if you can turn the terminal connectors by hand then they could probably be tightened a bit)

I think someone else mentioned that the security bolts in the ignition switch come loose and may cause that problem.
Old 09-29-2002, 08:56 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I agree it could be shifter position. My linkage is not adjusted exactly right - if I pull back the shifter while still in park the car wont start but all the idiot lights still come on. Push it forward some and it starts.

Most good auto parts stores and also sears auto centers will load test your battery and spin your alternator for free.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 09-29-2002, 09:46 AM

thanks guys, but why would it start after a jump if the shifter was in the wrong postion?

and when the car is in drive, the light comes on on the speedo cluster only when it feels like it...that really isn't a problem to me. but i don't know it that is a factor or not.

the car is also usually facing down hill if that could have anything to do with it.

i just want to have an idea of which one it could be before i go and spend money i don't have to, Thanks again!

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:43 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
I've been battling this problem with "ET." Will it eventually start if you keep turning the key? Mine was doing this consistantly. So far, I've changed the battery terminals, I've re-done the spade plug from the ignition to the starter (the small black wire with a yellow stripe), both to no real avail. The problem has lessened in frequency, but, it hasn't completely stopped. I find that when I have the lights on, if I turn them off, the car will start immediately after a "no start," which wasn't the case initially. The thing that seemed to lessen the frequency more than anything was to shoot the ignition switch full of contact cleaner (my next step was to tear into the column to check on the ignition switch bolts).

I guess I say all this to say, your guess is as good as mine. Nevertheless, I thought I should share the experience. I'll continue my R&D.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-29-2002, 12:03 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
right...

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
So far, I've changed the battery terminals, I've re-done the spade plug from the ignition to the starter (the small black wire with a yellow stripe), both to no real avail.
my white svx had this problem for MONTHs till i took it to a master tech that lives down the street from me now... for me it was a combination between the battery terminals AND the connection at the starter to the battery. might want to check that out like aredub said
phil
Old 09-29-2002, 12:27 PM

no Randy, it won't start after a couple of cranks i guess i will buy a new battery tonight and see what happens...

or i can wait till monday when she goes into the shop and have them test the alternator and battery before i spend the money...i think i will do that....

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
Old 09-29-2002, 01:09 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
no Randy, it won't start after a couple of cranks i guess i will buy a new battery tonight and see what happens...

or i can wait till monday when she goes into the shop and have them test the alternator and battery before i spend the money...i think i will do that....

Kelli
If you go to your local AUtozone, Advance Auto or any chain Autoparts store, they'll check that stuff for free. They'll check your battery, your starter and your alternator. I mean, if you are going to buy a battery anyway, have them check it first. Save you some time if not money.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-29-2002, 05:14 PM
billisa

Yes, have AutoZone check it out.

You mention the car facing downhill when the problem occures and I wonder if something's loose. My battery had white corrosion material that kept it from starting, though when that happened the idiot lights wouldn't come on. I suspect a simple check-up will narrow it down, and save you from buying a new, but unnecessary battery.

Will it jump start while still pointing downhill? Hmmmm. One thing that I think is good to have anyway is a portable starter battery (about $35.00). It makes jumpers obsolete and isn't very big. One is called EverStart (I think) and Prestone makes another. Most road service trucks seem to be using them.

Last edited by billisa; 09-29-2002 at 05:16 PM.
Old 09-29-2002, 06:03 PM
$VX

Wiggle your steering wheel. If the car moves at all it won't start due to the steering column having been moved a bit.

- Ca$h
Old 09-29-2002, 10:46 PM
deadeye95

I have driven to the gym, and after working out my SVX wouldn't start. Clean your terminals, last time I used a knife to clean the dinge off the (+)t-ve. Sometimes the ground to the body may need to be cleaned (though not yet on my '94).

I have never been left with a dead battery after 9 years with my SVX (but have had corroded +ve terminals). Every 2 years I go to Sam's and buy a $40 battery. You can buy an $80 or more dollar one if you want with a great warranty, but it just makes them more money for the manufacturer. Batteries are made of plastic, lead and acid - haven't changed much in years. Pay what you will for this technology...

Rip-off houses like Pep Boys and Auto Zone may charge you a "disposal fee" (here it was $7) for selling your battery to a recycler where several years ago they would give you a "core credit". Sam's has a pallet in back to put it on. I got rid of several old batteries this way.
Old 09-30-2002, 11:51 AM
$VX

You know those little red/green felt washers? Grab some of those. They work great, especially for only a buck or so.

- Ca$h
Old 09-30-2002, 02:15 PM

well guys i bought the battery and put it into my back seat for the time last night. today Dimple's got her oil changed, so i had the guys at the shop test the battery and the alternator.....

ONE DEAD CELL IN THE BATTERY!

thanks so much for the help guys! i am glad it is just a little thingy that was wrong...it really coulda been worse...i bought a diehard or cast...i forget the name...silver...

Kelli happy her car is home from the doctor without about 100 extra miles on it
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"