How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-28-2002, 08:41 PM
SVXCAPE

Angry arghhh!! What's happening

Hello everybody, how's it going? I have this very disturbing prob with my tranny or driveshaft, between 10-15 MPH I am getting this very loud vibration coming from right under the car. Rpms are fine when this happens, engine smooth as ever, It happens with man button pressed in, with the fwd fuse in it happens. There are brand new tires on the car so no issues there, the loud heat sheild being whacked sound and shaking vibration increase with the throttle, but just between 10-15, then all is fine. I have searched through the archives and have not found anything to similar, I thought this could have been my propeller shaft but the sound did not go away with the fuse, and was exactly the same. I do not hear any odd sounds when I put it into gear, the tranny is as strong as ever. Any recomendations or opinions will be highly appreciated, thanks
Old 08-28-2002, 10:32 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
Mine did sort of the same thing when one of my axles was getting beat. It would shake from 30-36mph or so, then be completely smoothe again. Maybe it's the same thing you are seeing.

http://www.ryanmacdonald.com
http://www.digitalvertigo.net
http://www.open-innovations.com
Old 08-28-2002, 10:45 PM
Green1995SVX

Take a look at your CV boots and see if there is any visable tears or leaks.

-Mike
Old 08-29-2002, 12:33 AM
SVXCAPE

oops

My thread is a little unclear, I stated that it happens with manual button pressed in. I meant to say that it ALSO occurs with the man button on. I also put the fwd fuse in, and it happend as well then, but not as pronounced. The awd system works fine, there is no front tire spin at all, in any gear. I think the prob could still be the driveshaft. I have checked it for mud and anything else that could cling to the shaft but did not find anything, I also turned the shaft, pushed and pulled and it did not have any excessive play, but then again I cannot apply 200 pounds of tourque at the twist of a wrist. I think I will just pull it out tomorrow and visually inspect it. I will let everyone know what I find.
Old 08-29-2002, 12:44 AM
SVXCAPE

I have also inspected the cv axel and boot, they looked okay no tears or anything. One of the other reasons why I think it is the driveshaft is ( although its not to safe ) because one time I opened up the door and listened closely and it seemed to be vibrating right under the driveshaft about where the third cat is, right around that area.
Old 08-29-2002, 01:27 PM

do a search. I can't remember exactly, but I think somebody described htis before and it was decided it was the center bearing on the driveshaft - AND how to test that guess.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:52 PM
dart

Re: arghhh!! What's happening

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXCAPE
Hello everybody, how's it going? I have this very disturbing prob with my tranny or driveshaft, between 10-15 MPH I am getting this very loud vibration coming from right under the car. Rpms are fine when this happens, engine smooth as ever, It happens with man button pressed in, with the fwd fuse in it happens. There are brand new tires on the car so no issues there, the loud heat sheild being whacked sound and shaking vibration increase with the throttle, but just between 10-15, then all is fine. I have searched through the archives and have not found anything to similar, I thought this could have been my propeller shaft but the sound did not go away with the fuse, and was exactly the same. I do not hear any odd sounds when I put it into gear, the tranny is as strong as ever. Any recomendations or opinions will be highly appreciated, thanks
When I bought SVX #2 it did the same thing. Mine turned out to be the front u-joint in the driveshaft assembly. It was binding and forcing the shaft into the heat shield until I got above 20 mph or so and then it smoothed out. Depending on the year of your SVX the driveshafts are different. Got the whole assembly for my '92 from a salvage yard for $85 plus shipping. Getting ready to roll over my first 1000 miles in it since replacing the driveshaft. So far so good. Longer version of my shade tree diagnosis here:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...&threadid=4318

Old 08-29-2002, 11:13 PM
SVXCAPE

That's it!

You are totally right dart, I put the car up on stands and removed, well more like moved aside the heat shield and did a thorough inspection of the shaft. After inspecting the tranny mounts, center bearing, I came to the conclusion that they were okay. I then gave the u-joint a good looking over and noticed a little piece of the cup that the needle bearings roll in was chipped. I then tried to dab a little lithium grease in the broken area, then I put the sheild back on and took her for a spin. It had all but vanished, hopefully this will work for a few more days until I can get a replacement shaft. Thanks for all your help everyone! this is BY FAR the BEST place to gather info and chat about the svx anywhere!! (IMO)