Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-12-2007, 06:51 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
I have to jump in here (as a tire building/unformity technician)

I usually am within 5-10 psi of the max cold inflation on all of my cars with the rear around 3-5psi lower than the front. I've never worn out the center tread before the sidewall doing this.

Pump 'em up hard, drive it, and then lower the rears a few psi at a time until the handling feels right.
Matt, you are saying what in effect is similar, if not the same, as was stated above.

While I defer to your inside knowledge on tyre construction, forgive me if, as a layman, I disagree slightly with the approach.

You are using the max cold tyre pressure as a yardstick, and working downwards from there. But each size of tyre can be fitted to 50, or 100 cars, which may differ in AWD, FWD, RWD and weight distribution.

The manufacturer recommended pressures may normally be low, and in the case of the SVX they are certainly low.

However, I believe that the difference between F/R pressures is usually set to account for front axle/rear axle weight difference.

I believe this difference should be maintained when going up in pressure. By all means play around with it, but if there's a 3 lbs or 4 lbs difference on the door sticker, best handling will usually be found by keeping this differential.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Good point Joe - as you said it is best to try to maintain the front/rear difference that the manufacturer states on an unmodified vehicle.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:50 PM

Registered SVX
I'll add a little comment. I work at a Nissan dealership, and all new Nissans now have tire pressure monitoring systems. Being up here at 7200 ft., the air is less dense, and we kept having TPMS lights come on on the (specifically on the Titans). The stock tires have a max pressure on the sidewall of 35psi, and the door jam says something like 32/34 or thereabout. We were told by Nissan to put them to at least 38psi to keep the TPMS light off. Some cars/trucks we put upwards of 40 or 42psi. We've been doing this for a couple of years now, and haven't had any abnormal wear.

One other story, we had someone come in with an older Honda Accord complaining of a roaring noise. They had just had their oil changed at Wal-Mart and they "adjusted" their tire pressures for them with the oil change. They put them to 120psi. Yes, one-hundred and twenty. And we tried 3 different tire gauges to make sure the gauge wasn't off. Crazy stuff.
'06 CBR 600 F4i
'95 Katana 600
Old 12-12-2007, 08:31 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptar_head View Post
I'll add a little comment. I work at a Nissan dealership, and all new Nissans now have tire pressure monitoring systems. Being up here at 7200 ft., the air is less dense, and we kept having TPMS lights come on on the (specifically on the Titans). The stock tires have a max pressure on the sidewall of 35psi, and the door jam says something like 32/34 or thereabout. We were told by Nissan to put them to at least 38psi to keep the TPMS light off. Some cars/trucks we put upwards of 40 or 42psi. We've been doing this for a couple of years now, and haven't had any abnormal wear.

One other story, we had someone come in with an older Honda Accord complaining of a roaring noise. They had just had their oil changed at Wal-Mart and they "adjusted" their tire pressures for them with the oil change. They put them to 120psi. Yes, one-hundred and twenty. And we tried 3 different tire gauges to make sure the gauge wasn't off. Crazy stuff.

To the Honda: I'm amazed the car actually made it down the road. 120 PSI is enough to explode a normal car tire without a car on it.

To the TPMS: &*#&%(*&(($#%&#@^#&^#$*&&*#%*@&^364!!!!! That's what I think of TPMS. I have one in my SVX, cost me two dollars from a gas station, and hides conveniently in my clovebox when not in use. It does not give me annoying lights, and should it malfunction, it can be replaced easily. Also, no clumsy tire tech will ever break it while changing tires. (it's a pressure gauge by the way)

I work in a tire shop. Can you tell? blasted stupid people waiting to put on their snows and panicking and stupid manager booking too much work so I'm pulling 12-14 hour days........

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 12-12-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:33 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
With regards to the front/rear pressure difference, this is not so important in single axle drive vehicles (FWD or RWD). It is for us. If equally inflated, the front tires will be more compressed due to the higher weight in the front. More compressed tire=reduced rolling diameter=front wheels spinning fast than rear. To prevent this the different pressures front/rear must be followed.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 12-13-2007, 02:53 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
With regards to the front/rear pressure difference, this is not so important in single axle drive vehicles (FWD or RWD). It is for us. If equally inflated, the front tires will be more compressed due to the higher weight in the front. More compressed tire=reduced rolling diameter=front wheels spinning fast than rear. To prevent this the different pressures front/rear must be followed.
I would agree with this all right Chris. Keeping rolling diameters equal on all four will depend on getting the weight/load balance right.

It's less important for single axle driven vehicles for sure, but maintaining the front/rear difference will still give the best compromise for most road cars.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-16-2007, 10:18 PM
That's gona leave a mark.

I really appreciate all the input- especially from you tire guys!

the Chick Magnet:
91 Justy GL EFI 4x4 154k (new motor @120k)

90 Yamaha V-Max
82 Yamaha XJ650LJ Turbo
My Diver Propulsion vehicle:
88 Jeep Cherokee 160k
"U-sta-have"
88 XT6 AWD Pearl,
86 XT Lt Blue,
85 XT AWD/4x4 Turbo Space Blue
Old 12-17-2007, 06:11 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:

Nissan Titan...the new Ford Exploder

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
They put them to 120psi. Yes, one-hundred and twenty.
I filled a low tire in a legacy at a truck stop once... I saw FREE AIR AND WATER, so I took it. I didn't know it was for trucks and RVs
In like a second my tire went from 20ish to 120ish... with no other air around and making 3 unsuccessful stops for air I just held in the stem for a bit and drove a few hundered miles home in a blizzard. When I put a gauge on it the next day it was still at 87psi... it did make a little noise, but I corrected it and to my surprise have had no ill effects result I bet that only happened at a walmart for the same reason.... they cater to RVs and the kid grabbed that chuck. The gauge on the one I used didn't allow you to see the numbers until you squeeze the valve, and then its too late

-EDIT-
By the way, tire psi and speed rating are actually all part of your car's suspension system. It has more to do with how your car responds to the road than it does in allowing you to go fast. As your suspension gets older it isn't a bad idea to increase your psi a little. I really agree with a lot of the statements I’ve read in this thread
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?

Last edited by Speedklix; 12-17-2007 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 AM

I've run higher-than-specified air pressure in my tires for years, yet every worn set I replace has bald shoulders. Wearing down the middle of the tread would be a welcome change.

dcb