Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Canadian Forums

Old 12-07-2006, 07:24 AM

Talking Calgary Sightings

Me, hehe.

Just bought a 1995 to replace my 1992 Summit Wagon AWD for the winter. Decided I wanted a NICE winter car (my 1993 MR-2 Turbo, likes to hide in the barn when cold). Quite pleased so far, unfortunately when I purchased the car, I knew it need a new engine (someone did a cheap fix - cold compound welded - an idler pulley and it likes to eat timing belts - at least by the service records, hehe).

Just wanted to say HI to everyone, and love finding such sites. My is an American model and because of this website was able to get rid of the farienhiet display.... hehe.
Old 12-07-2006, 06:16 PM
#073 of 301

Hi there, neghbor. Welcome to the site.
My SVX is also American, and having the temp in C is quite handy. It would be reading like -40 if I had my car... it's been off the road for a month. I'm currently getting bent over by a local dealership and don't expect my car back until next week.
Barcelona Red '93 AE #073 of 301, 168k miles.
Old 12-07-2006, 08:40 PM

Ya dealers can be rough

Lucky for me, I can do all my own work. Which is why I bought one knowing that the engine would need to be replaced in about 20000km (when it blows a timing belt).

And lucky for me I found a motor in Calgary and got a good price for everything.
Paid $1300 for a 1997 engine with 75,000km on it and it still has the alternator and A/C compressor. I also got them to throw in the front hood struts, the rear trunk struts (which are in perfect shape), both the visors - which are in perfect shape, nice and tight, the SVX floor mats (excellent shape as well) and all the power windows and door lock switches. It basically fixes everything that the one I purchased needed, heh.

This summer I will switch the 1995s motor out and drop in the 1997s and have lots of spare parts to boot!
Old 12-08-2006, 11:04 AM

A/C compressor??

Another SVX in Calgary. Did you purchase the car in town or did you import this one.

Check you engine for the AC compressor I suspect that the one you "think" you have was installed in my car a couple of months ago.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:18 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
What did you do with the old motor? I'm sure it was ok.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:51 AM

Old motor.

Plan to keep the old motor for myself for parts. The motor itself seems to be in fine shape. But when digging thru all the old service records, it was revealed that someone in the past had cold-compounded welded an idler pully to the block. As a result the car has had the timing belt changed at 80,000 miles, 93,000 miles and 123,000 miles. Each time the belt skipped and when it was checked the belt was damaged. The note was added at the 80,0000 miles timing belt change and at 93,000 miles, the same mechanic (as the one who did the 80,000 miles) said the block need to be changed or this will happen again (and it did).

I purchased the car in Calgary and got enough off the price in order to purchase the replacement engine. Just need to do the work. And at least I got a few other parts out of it too! Not too mention mine WAS missing the engine cover, it is not anymore, hehe.

It is just too bad that someone did a cheap fix in the past on the car.