Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Engine Management

Old 09-14-2006, 09:02 PM

OBD2 Engine Management System

Since there isn’t currently anything in place for 96-97 SVXs for engine management, I decided to design my own system. The firmware isn’t finished yet, but I hope to improve fuel management over the entire rev band but especially below 2K rpms, allow for a different MAF, larger injectors, and eventually forced air. My layout includes a 3-axis accelerometer for real time tuning. I have a lot of work to do on this so it probably won’t be ready for a while, but at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00297.JPG (424.4 KB, 215 views)
Old 09-15-2006, 06:47 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Good luck. I hope your efforts prove fruitful. Are you using a wideband for tuning? Will you be doing any dyno testing w/ afr before and after?

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 09-15-2006, 09:18 AM

I will be usings the signal for the car's O2 sensors, in fact I will be using all the sensors from the car and an additional fuel line pressure sensor and an additional thermocouple. Eventually at or near the completion I do plan on having it Dyno'd.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:52 AM
I have a problem. :(

Send a message via AIM to shelfy Send a message via Yahoo to shelfy
Registered SVX
hello spoonchucker!

i am excited to learn of your progress especially since i own an obdii svx and am very close to you.

1997 Subaru SVX LSi "Svetlana" #185 of 640 - 09/1996 - Polo Green Pearl - 34k miles

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Everett" #8738 - 01/1992 - Ebony Pearl - 139k miles - 5MT shifty - Sold 07/31/2011

1992 Subaru SVX LS-L "Sven" #1599 - 05/1991 - Claret - 168k miles - Traded 05/11/2005

2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited CVT - Crystal White Pearl - 2.8k miles
2021 Subaru Forester 2.5i Limited CVT - Horizon Blue Pearl - 17k miles
2023 Volkswagen Jetta S 6MT - Pure White - 2.6k miles
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Limited EV - Ceramic White - 30k miles
Old 09-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
hey, if you can design a user friendly way to tune 92-95 SVXi I would be more than willing to bite. I would like to be able to adjust my own timing and fuel.

Tom
Old 09-15-2006, 08:05 PM

Tom

There is nothing about this system that is unique to only OBD2 other than interconnect. It would not be that difficult to allow for an easy way to tune it except for the user interface. Currently I am using a secondary data acquisition system connected to a laptop, although control occurs directly on the board.

Chris
Old 09-15-2006, 10:10 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
not to sound ignorant but the technicality that are involved in such a system are not my specialty. I am a more twist wrenches kind of guy not really too technical when it comes to computers. So if you can find a way for me to get into my ECU and tamper with LAN's already good programming that would make my life MUCH easier when I finally decide to go with different options... Hopes this helps clarify my handicap with the computer itself

Tom
Old 09-16-2006, 08:10 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Tom,
I dont think you will be able to tamper with LANs tune. I was with LAN when he programmed a few chips for my car during the install. The chips he uses in the kits are one time only programable. He has a few that are reprogramable that he uses for demo software, but he says they are pricy and hard to get. The only way you would be able to make any changes to the software in the stage 3 would be to replace the entire chip.
Old 09-16-2006, 11:08 AM

Wink

What I mean is that it is possible but not easy. This is actually a microprocessor that will replace some functions of the ECU, it will work by acquiring multiple signals, perform algorithms, and then controlling some functions. This is different then modifying a lookup table, which I do not intend to touch. To perform “tuning” wouldn’t involve changing any values in the EPROM nor in the firmware of the microcontroller, but to provide adjustable inputs (switches/pots) to the microcontroller that affect the algorithms, and therefore the output. The difficulty is that I do not plan to have any sort of display, thus it would not be easy to tune without secondary equipment.

The purpose of this is to provide myself the ability to allow for forced air. Since there are others (OBD2) that do not benefit from LANs products, this could also help them as well. With that being said my purpose isn’t to make a profit, I am doing this for my own interests. If this does work, the cost will only cover the materials and labor from my production guys.

Chris