How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Andrew

Question Transmission

At about 70K I had the transmission rebuilt - gears slipping etc - the usual!

Now have 110K (kms) and in the last 2 weeks have developed a mechanical noise coming from somewhere in the transmission. On getting to 50km on power up it comes on but taking off power it stops.

Have had the car inspected by 3 mechanics including Subaru service centre. 3 different diagnostics:

1. rear diff
2. gear box
3. front diff
4. also initially told that it was the rear wheel bearings

Who do you believe????

When car up on hoist and in gears, seems there is excessive noice in the rear of gear box (transfer case area).

Has anyone had anythjing like that and can perhaps guide me in the right direction.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:12 AM
MikeInd

Tranny??

You have a warranty on the tranny work?
Old 04-06-2004, 10:25 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

If you can put the SVX in FWD it may elliminate the the rear dif as problem. Other than that your trans is different than the USA models. I was going to suggest the transfer clutch basket welds coming loose but you don't have them.
Old 04-06-2004, 07:41 PM
Andrew

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
If you can put the SVX in FWD it may elliminate the the rear dif as problem. Other than that your trans is different than the USA models. I was going to suggest the transfer clutch basket welds coming loose but you don't have them.
Thanks for the tip but how do I just put it into FWD???
Old 04-06-2004, 08:06 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to paddlesnz
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew

Thanks for the tip but how do I just put it into FWD???
You can't!

The FWD fuse is only for US models. On non-US models, inserting the fuse will result in a locked 50:50 split which will cause severe binding if used in normal conditions.

1993 Subaru Alcyone SVX
1980 Isuzu 117 Coupe Giugiaro Edition
1999 Mazda Astina
2006 Honda Legend
2006 Toyota Mark X Premium
2007 Toyota bB
2007 Mazda Roadster RS
2012 Peugeot 208 Allure
Old 04-07-2004, 04:38 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew
At about 70K I had the transmission rebuilt - gears slipping etc - the usual!

Now have 110K (kms) and in the last 2 weeks have developed a mechanical noise coming from somewhere in the transmission. On getting to 50km on power up it comes on but taking off power it stops.

Have had the car inspected by 3 mechanics including Subaru service centre. 3 different diagnostics:

1. rear diff
2. gear box
3. front diff
4. also initially told that it was the rear wheel bearings

Who do you believe????

When car up on hoist and in gears, seems there is excessive noice in the rear of gear box (transfer case area).

Has anyone had anythjing like that and can perhaps guide me in the right direction.
Hi Andrew, A bit unusual to get a problem with the EURO model.

There is not much to go on. First you say the noise is there when accelerating, but not there when coasting. This is usually caused by gears, maybe differential ring and pinion, either front or rear.

If you can define the noise a bit better, it would help. does the noise sound like, a grinding, a howl, a rattling, a bumping, etc.
Is the sound there in all gear positions, hot or cold. Did the sound start all of a sudden, or has it slowly got louder over time.

When the car was on the hoist, was the front and rear wheels both rotating it the same speed, or was there a difference. There should not be any noise from the center diff on the road, as it just turns as a solid lump. The gears only run, if there is a difference in front/ back wheel speed (wheel spin). If the clutch was not working, when it was on the hoist, this could happen, and the center diff would run, to may be make the noise.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Andrew

Re: Re: Transmission

Quote:
Originally posted by oab_au

Hi Andrew, A bit unusual to get a problem with the EURO model.

There is not much to go on. First you say the noise is there when accelerating, but not there when coasting. This is usually caused by gears, maybe differential ring and pinion, either front or rear.

If you can define the noise a bit better, it would help. does the noise sound like, a grinding, a howl, a rattling, a bumping, etc.
Is the sound there in all gear positions, hot or cold. Did the sound start all of a sudden, or has it slowly got louder over time.

When the car was on the hoist, was the front and rear wheels both rotating it the same speed, or was there a difference. There should not be any noise from the center diff on the road, as it just turns as a solid lump. The gears only run, if there is a difference in front/ back wheel speed (wheel spin). If the clutch was not working, when it was on the hoist, this could happen, and the center diff would run, to may be make the noise.

Harvey.
Thanks Harvey,

The noise is I suppose between grinding a whining - it is like heavy working machinery without noise suppression!!

It is there in all gear positions under load - if you let off the accelerator it disappears. I thhink it jas come on very gradually as I have become aware of it only recently. I normally have the radio on which would have dampened the noise before I became conscious of it. I think that it may not be there when I start off in the morning but it becomes present quite quickly.

I don't recall how the wheels were spinning when it was on the hoist but quite a loud noise (gears running) was coming from the transfer case area at the rear of the gearbox. The transmission guy said that it is the front diff - are these known to go at such low kms?
Old 04-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Yes well that does sound like gear noise. It wont be the center diff, as it does not work on the road unless there is wheelspin. It could be the front diff, though yours would have to be the first I have heard of. They would have had to pull the diff down when they overhauled the transmission, may be it was not shimed up properly.

I would take it back to the people that did the rebuild job, an ask them why the front dff is making the noise, since they overhauled the box. If it was not shimed properly, the noise could take a while to start.

What was slipping in the box when you had it overhauled in the first place. 2nd gear or 3/4th?

Harvey.

Old 04-08-2004, 03:36 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Hang on a min, I had a thought*

Sorry Andrew, I didn't think of it, but it hit me about 4PM when I opened the fridge door to get a light refreshment . You did hear a noise comming from the transfer case. because you did not have the 'Diff Lock Fuse' fitted.

Without the Limited Slip Clutch locked, you were running it in the air with an open center diff. This allowed the front and back wheels to take turns, trying to be the fastest. I reckond it made a noise, it probably sounded like it was about fall out.

If you put it up on a hoist again, fit the "Diff Lock Fuse", its under the hood, left bottom end of the fuse box, put a 10 amp fuse in the empty slot and the clutch will lock up the diff so that there will be no shunting, to make the noise.

That I said about the front diff, still appiles.

Harvey.