How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-03-2004, 09:55 PM
Paxton71

Broken Transfer clutch (pics in locker) *FIXED*

OK, well I got 'er apart (fun, eh Mr. Pockets!? But you got off CHEAP! )

It looks like something is broken here.
Is it the "Transfer Clutch Hub?"

pic #2

Supposed to be part of the ring still held in place by the snap ring?

Part sources?

Anybody wanna just sell me the xfer section from a blown tranny?

Also, I found the LF inner CV boot is trashed and 1 nut is missing on the starter. cords showing on RF tire....*oh what a feeling, Toyota!* (my Toyota 4runner just rolled 220,000)

Last edited by Paxton71; 02-25-2004 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Paxton71

welded to the gearset?!

wha?! that hub is welded to the reduction gear set (not available at Subaruparts.com) That is...bad, like expensive kinda bad...
Old 02-04-2004, 09:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think it's more likely that the reduction gear is just 'stuck' in the transfer clutch drum. I noticed that when I disassembled mine (yeah, it is fun - next time, home surgery!) the reduction gear had little notches worn into it by the teeth on the transfer clutch plates. This made putting it back together difficult until I decided to remove the clutch and shaft assembly from the extension housing, fit it to the reduction gear and then press the housing on over it. The book tells you to press the shaft into the extension housing and then slide it onto the reduction gear- but with six plates in there, it's really hard to get it back together that way.

Anyway, if it were me, I'd find any way I could to press that reduction gear out without damaging it or the clutch internals. I mean, by forcing it, you're most likely going to wreck the clutch plates, but it's gotta come out of there one way or another. And you were going to replace those plates anyway, right?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-04-2004, 09:58 AM

Registered SVX
Thinking more about your problem, it has occured to me that I might not thoroughly understand it. It looks to me, in your photos, like that's the reduction gear stuck inside the transfer clutch drum. Am I right? If not, then you don't have to read any further because the rest of this message assumes this to be true.

If that's the transfer clutch drum stuck over the reduction gear...then where's the driveshaft? The transfer clutch drum and shaft are one piece, last I checked.

Clutch drum (item #7):

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=170-A

Reduction gear (item #2, top):

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?mod...category=160-A

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-04-2004, 11:37 AM
Paxton71

Clutch drum Mr. Pockets notes

Hiya! Thanks for the reply.

Nothing is "stuck" it all falls right apart. (note pic 2.)

I think...the clutch DRUM is welded to the driveshaft. That is the OUTSIDE wrinkly thing in pic 1. My concern is the wrinkly stamped steel thing inside the drum. Those wear marks from spinning seem wrong. I think it is supposed to be attached to the reduction gear. In the FSM, it looks like a snap ring holds it on the shaft behind the reduction gear. I think it is sheared off just outside the snap ring or something.
In looking at the subaru parts pages, it looks like it is sold welded to the reduction gear. In reading posts here, it looks like this was true in later models. This transmission is not a 1992. I'm pretty sure it was remanufactured (I see the remanufactured tag) with the 1994 upgrades which would include the clutch hub being welded to the reduciton gear.

In summary:
The "transfer clutch HUB" appears to go inside the drum, in front of the clutch pack. Mine looks broken off of the reduction gear and/or shaft.

I already have the clutch pack to install. I need the rear seal and
whatever I broke. I'll drop the pan too. there were filings stuck to the semi magnetic VSS back there... I bet there are some in the pan/on the magnet.

I'll print out the pics and bring it to the Subaru shop tonight.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:05 PM

Registered SVX
Ah I see. I'll look at my FSM tonight...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-04-2004, 05:34 PM
Superbeast

Yeah it be brokeded I got a good assembly out of a 92 Legacy tranny. They appear to be the same. If you want it pay the shipping and it's yours.

BTW: It is a pain to put the rear housing back on. But I got it
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-04-2004, 06:22 PM
Paxton71

thanks Subafreak

Thanks Subafreak. I'd love to try out the legacy parts.

Is the clutch hub attached to the reduction gear? (welded)
Old 02-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Superbeast

As far as I can tell, it's all suppost to be one peice. The reduction gear and clutch hub are all part of the shaft that gos into the tranny.

If you really want me to send it to you just PM me with the address and I'l let you know how much the shipping will be.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-04-2004, 11:45 PM
abrasive personality

Send a message via AIM to NomadTW
the only difference between the clutch parts in the legacy and svx is the number of clutch plates, the legacy has less plates in the clutch, they also don't seem to break like the svx's

i would sell you my transmission that is coming from my svx but i believe that it has the same problem as your transmission in the pictures
Old 02-05-2004, 08:33 AM
Paxton71

Thanks, NomadTW

Cool, NomadTW. That's great news for me. If this works I'll let you know.
I'm looking forward to getting this thing back down on the ground.

Actually, as Subafreak and his lifted rigs knows, it is nice and easy to get in and out of the car when it is 18 inches off the ground. Maybe I'll just leave it up in the air for awhile!
Old 02-05-2004, 09:33 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Subafreak
BTW: It is a pain to put the rear housing back on. But I got it
It can be if you do it by the book, which tells you to press the clutch drum and rear shaft into the housing, then slide that into place. Because of the number of clutch plates, which can move freely, this can be a pain in the ass.

I slid the clutch drum and driveshaft into place, then fit the housing. I put a 2x4 over the dust cover and tapped it into place with a hammer.

It's far easier to do it that way than follow the book.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 02-25-2004, 02:07 AM
Paxton71

Repairs complete

It is done. Big THANKS to Subafreak's Legacy parts. Mr. Pockets' experiences were very helpful too.

The parts are the same. You just yank the gear and shaft right out of the tranny. Slip the legacy parts in. I suppose you SHOULD change the gears in pairs to make sure the patterns match.

Cleaning gasket mating surfaces was the most time consuming part. (I was out of gasket remover spray) With the clutch hub out of the car you can build your new clutch pack on the bench and line everything up with the hub in place. I was able to lay mine up without the trouble Mr. Pockets and Subafreak speak of. I sure hope I have duty sol. C's wire tucked out of the way of the gears.

Tip: When putting the T-case back on, you can get the clutch hub to turn a little bit by spinning the front wheel with your foot. If you are holding the driveshaft steady by the splines, you can "feel" the hub going down past the clutches. I had to tap only lightly to get the parking gear pawl pivot shaft to go into the T-case.

Sorry, no pics. I was working fast and I was really too dirty to be playing with my digital camera.

I tested on jackstands OK. I road tested OK too!

-Paxton71
Old 02-25-2004, 06:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Congrats Steve! I'm glad you got it fixed yourself and saved a trip to the dealer$hip!

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Steve, Imprezzive Nice work.

I used the drive shaft to rotate the hub to get the splines to line up after I changed the solenoid "C". Yes there I was on my back holding up the T-case and the drive shaft and pushing the whole mess into the trans. Your foot on the front wheel I think is less physical stress.

I think the weld between the gear and transfer drum is the weak link in the drive train while turning tight corners at high power. This because the rear wheels want to turn at a slow speed than the front wheels. However the drive train with a locked up transfer clutch wants the front and rear wheels to turn at the same speed.