Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Strictly Subaru

Exclamation Help!, Need Ski-Rack info...

HI Everyone, I posted about this a while ago, and unfortuneatly I could not find that post so I started a new one. I am in need of any ski-rack information... What type, name of manufacturer', model number etc...

I've searched locally for the past two days, and am unable to come up with anything, Ive checked "thule", "yakima" and "rack-attack" and all these were a "no fit"

If anyone has any info, I'd appreciate it, I'm planning on a long distance ski trip, but if I'm unable to find anything, I'll be forced to take the 4Runner, which as we all know, is a little "degrading...
Old 02-12-2003, 04:44 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I fold down the back seat and put the skis in there. The edges don't rust as fast from the salt spray onthe roads. I guess you got more than 2 people going?
Old 02-12-2003, 08:19 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I have a ski rack for my SVX. I don't remember who made it, but I'll try to remmeber to check tonight when I go home.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-12-2003, 08:45 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Ski rack

Have you though about one of those window mounted racks? I think they may only hold 2 pairs of skis but its a cheap option. You could be like me though and buy a "spare" ski subaru just for such occasions. It keeps the salt off the SVX since I've got alumium edges I don't need to worry about rusting edges.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Green1995SVX

This brings up a topic that ive been waiting a long time to complain about. I have Volant skis, and for those of you who dont know they are a stainless steel ski. But, if they get scratched, they rust! WHATS UP WITH THAT? UGH.

Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Green1995SVX

Oh, and Unisport makes a ski rack for the svx. I used to have one. Very nice multiple attachment rack.

Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 09:27 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
This brings up a topic that ive been waiting a long time to complain about. I have Volant skis, and for those of you who dont know they are a stainless steel ski. But, if they get scratched, they rust! WHATS UP WITH THAT? UGH.

Mike
I've always wanted to try a pair of Volant skis.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 02-12-2003, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Mike
That's easy enough. DON"T scratch them!
Old 02-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

That's easy enough. DON"T scratch them!
Hey they're REALLY old. I'm still skiing non-parabolics. I think shaped skis are for wusses.

Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 10:05 AM

skis

Quote:

Hey they're REALLY old. I'm still skiing non-parabolics. I think shaped skis are for wusses.

Mike

Ah, any ski that your heel is attached and you use plastic boots rather than leather is for wusses. Free your heel. Free your mind!
Old 02-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Green1995SVX

Re: skis

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob

Ah, any ski that your heel is attached and you use plastic boots rather than leather is for wusses. Free your heel. Free your mind!
I've never tried that although I would love to try. Looks SOOO difficult, but those guys are always the most fluid, smoothest skiiers ive ever seen.

Mike
Old 02-12-2003, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Mike
Mike, the whole Wold Cup circuit is using shape skis. Did you catch any of the World Championships on TV? Same thing, for Slalom they use 157cm skis, for GS they use skis which barely reach their noses.

Have you tried them? I ski faster on my 183cm GS skis than I used to on my 205cm conventional boards. My new 167cm Slalom skis are not much slower either.

These new skis are just amazing. You just roll both skis on edge, wait for both edges to engage, and hold on for dear life.

Matt

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Mike
Mike, most Stainless Steel still is prone to rusting. My company uses SS to manufacture surgical needles and they still rust if not protected from moisture.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 02-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Strictly Subaru

I wish I could fold down the seats, but I can't. I completed all my interior mods, which included a custom sub box for my system, so folding down the back seats is not an option. I'd never put sharped edged ski's inside my svx either because with my luck lately, I'd end up damaging the interior...

Mr Pockets, I await your reply...., oh, and I called barrecrafters (unisport), and they said that they have nothing that would fit. I guess worst case scenario, I'll try to find the window mount version.....
Old 02-12-2003, 11:04 AM
ww111

Thumbs up I HAVE barrecrafters

And it works fine. I'm not sure what's up with the people at unisport. I think I actually bought mine from barrecrafters. It was made specifically for 2 door cars with interior rain gutters. All of the Thule and Yakima accessories fit on them as well.

Crazy

Collins, 92 Pearly. MORE New Snow! Weeeee.