Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2003, 10:32 AM
alacrity024

Post Police Stories

Browsing through the "Stealth Mode?" thread got me to thinking about starting a thread for police stories..

What kind of run-ins has everyone had with the law? Has anyone tried to run from the cops? successfully? I'll admit, I've thought about it.. it'd be a whole lot of fun to get away with, but the concequences will keep me on the better side of the law for now.

Whenever I'm confronted by a police officer I simply try to be as polite and understanding as I can. They're just doing their job, and I try to come off as being somewhat sympathetic. Generally works. I've been stopped a good ten times or so, with only one ticket when I was too pissed off about breaking up with my girlfriend to bother with politeness.

Any stories, advice, etc. etc.?

-adam
Old 02-08-2003, 11:27 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
police story

29 years ago, when i was a long haired 18 year old, powersliding my lowered buick wagon (5inches in front and 4inches in back) i was pulled over by a 6ft something 250lb mt lebonon pa cop.
he said"son, do you want to be the youngest and prettiest white boy in prison?" i still drive fast,but i no longer think the world is my racetrack
Old 02-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I have been pulled over once. I was doing about 55 in a 45 zone. He claimed i was doing 78...i swear he was also drunk. The ticket had everything filled out wrong and then he told me i wasnt wearing a seatbelt after i took it off right in front of him to get my wallet out. I ended up paying it cause it was in another couny and would have taken me 2 hours to go back to the court house there. Thing that utterly pissed me off was that a chick in a black car went flying by both of us and he didnt even see her...this was while we were still moving. [/rant]
Old 02-08-2003, 12:03 PM

When I was seventeen, I got pulled over doing 65 in a 40. I was "play racing" my friend who was driving along side of me. The cops let both of us off with a warning. I don't think they got our speed and I sure as hell wasn't going to admit to how fast I was going. But man did we go flying past those parked police cars.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:55 PM
Gabriels_shadow

police stories

105 in a 55...the trooper was good enough to knock it down to 75 with three points. However the judge told me that if he ever saw me in his court again for speeding I was going to jail. I've a couple run-ins since with other law enforcement but now I have military ID that all but gets me out of it. I was pulled over in massepequa racing a trailblazer a few months ago. He saw my ID and let me go with a happy birthday. I still drive fast when conditions allow but keep an eye out for radar traps.
Old 02-08-2003, 02:38 PM
chellie

POLICE

I have always been a very fast driver. As a matter of fact, at 14 my first drive was a 1955 Chevy Panel Wagon with a 454 under the hood. After that I was hooked. I have driven just about everything there is at very high rates of speed. I have only ever had one speeding ticket and that was on Bandini Blvd in Los Angeles. That cost me a fortune and I made up my mind one was enough. Now with my newly possesed SVX I am starting to remember and experience the feeling of speed. Scarey..........I caught 2 of our local police force checking out my baby while parked along the street. They asked me all kinds of questions, and of course had a few snide remarks to make. They are friends of mine.......I told them point blank if and when the time comes, don't even bother trying to pull me over as they won't be able to catch me. They laughed like hell and said "Remember, we know where you live." I need not worry about them arresting me as I don't speed thru town. But I know for a fact that my one and only speeding ticket is going to be a thing of the past. I will definately report in when it happens. Maybe we should start a donation pool so I can pay my fine.......LOL.....
Old 02-08-2003, 03:00 PM
svxeno

Started out silly..almost ended bad

Many many moons ago I was at a stop (& go) light with a local Deputy behind me. The light changed to green and I started moving. Immediately he turned his lights on a pulled me over. I knew, just then, exactly why. It was June 1st and my B-day is May 21st. Yup, I was stupid and didn't get my tags (plates for you northerners) renewed. I rolled down all my windows as he approached and he asked if I knew why he pulled me over. I had to admit it. So he takes my license and insurance, goes back to his car and sits there checking his computer. He just sits and sits and sits. Finally, he comes up to my window and tells me the fine is $30 for the expired tag. Then he says "for the second infraction I need you to step out of the vehicle please" I was startled and just said "what?" He repeated for me to step out of the vehicle "sir". Sir?!? He called me "sir". I knew something was wrong. I got out and he proceeded to inform me that I was driving on a suspended license. WHAT?!? Apparently they never received or cleared my speeding ticket from nearly 5 years earlier. I went to defensive driving school to clear it. This was never done.
I must've turned pale because he gave me a break. (They take you to jail here for this) I promised to appear before the judge on the appointed day. However, he would immediately take me to jail if he saw me driving my car until it was cleared up. I had to leave my car. I saw the judge, showed all the documentation, still had to pay the fine, get my license reinstated and when I returned to pick up my car, someone had hit it.

Randy (No stops since '89) ii
Old 02-08-2003, 03:35 PM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Well this is okay now but I will never tell my kids. Heck I was youger once and would never do this again. Oh to be 19 again.

I always drove the same road to school through a county park. The speed limit was 35 and it was great. Real nice corners that one could just drift thru. It was too much fun. I always looked forward to this part of ride. I knew the road very well.

So this one day I see a friend up in front of me. Hey I'm going to pass him. I down shift, floor it and pull out into the other lane of a no passing zone. I pass two cars and then Rick doing about 70mph and there is a radar trap set-up on the road. Oh my gosh. I hit the brakes and pull over right to the police officer. No point in me trying anything else. So I am scared beyound my belief. I have the license and reg and Ins ready, under the PBA card. My brain was numb. He takes the stuff says nothing and walks to his car.

He comes back with the ticket and looks pissed, really pissed, and this took maybe 5 minutes. He says you get a ticket for 55 in a 35 and have to appear in court on this date. Points to the date and walks away. I didn't get the card back. I went to court, paid the fine and realized I could have been in big trouble. I didn't get any tickets after that.

I never assume the road will be same as it usually is. There was never a radar trap set-up there before.

I tell the officer that gave me the card that I didn't get it back and he calls the guy "A$$Hole". I laughed along time. I thought he was going to be pissed at me.

I am thinking I am lucky to be not in jail.

I still wonder what the officer told his buddies about this. he had to be in a tough spot. What did you do with that kid that doing 70 on the wrong side of the road passing four cars?
Old 02-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Jay_Walker

Wink

I respectfully abstain from this line of questioning.....
Old 02-08-2003, 05:36 PM
sputnik

i go to college here in daytona beach, where the beach itself is open to traffic during the daytime.
the day was a particularly cold one, so i decided to take a detour from our plan to get groceries, to the beach, knowing i would have it to myself to mess around.
driving on the packed sand of the beach is very similar to driving in light snow, and is the perfect place to show off the svx's awd handling characteristics, aka, throw the car around. as you can probably already tell, i didnt get away with it.
after about 5 minutes of 4 wheel drifts and induced oversteer, i see the blue lights of the beach patrol in the distance. i knew because of my maine plates and prior violations, that i wasnt getting off with a warning.
the worst part of the ordeal wasnt the 76 dollar careless driving ticket, or looking like a jackass in front of my friends; but rather, a tan saturn pulls up while the officer is writing out the ticket. the two women inside are laughing, one is pointing to the 10 mph sign on the beach, with my tracks in the sand circling around it, the other holds up a sign for everyone to see, that in bold print says "IDIOT"
needless to say, i sure felt like one
Old 02-08-2003, 06:14 PM
alacrity024

nah, you weren't being an idiot. although you really should've responded with a sign of your own. I had no idea that the beaches were open to vehicular traffic during the day. that's pretty cool. I think, however, that you were pretty much asking for it by blowing donuts for a solid five minutes. when i'm bombing around a snowy parking lot with good visibility to the road, i never chance it for more than a minute. if i'm tucked away somewhere that i'll never be seen, it's an entirely different story. i'll bet the beach looked wicked cool with all your tire tracks all over the place

-adam
Old 02-08-2003, 06:26 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Police stories

I sucessfully outran/ outsmarted a cop in my younger days when I was at Carnegie Mellon University. I was coming home for the weekend late one night in my 85 Subaru H'bk going well very spirited for the automobile (around 80-90mph when I passed a cop sitting back in one of the alcoves on the PA turnpike. Only reason I saw him b/c he turned his lights on as I flew by. Unfortunately for him there were some trucks behind me so he couldn't pull out directly. I stepped on it and got up to maybe 2 miles an hour faster than I had been going and pulled off at the next little pull off area. By the time he flew past me lights flashing and all, I had the hood up and my spare tire on the ground. Thinking that I had dodged a bullet but not wanting to take any chances I let all the air out of a tire and then changed it with the spare. About 10 minutes later I was back on the road about a mile down the cop was sitting with some poor Audi pulled over getting my ticket. . I can still hear it down 80 in a 55? you have to be kidding! That poor guy must have been pissed!
Old 02-08-2003, 06:52 PM
Superbeast

First ticket 75 in a 30 passing in a no passing zone $650, pissed at girlfriend. next ticket $50 for driving with fog lites on when it was foggy out? next ticket avoided by darting down back road before cop had chance to turn around, next ticket avoided by turning down road that actually came out by the police station passed cop on way back by, he didn't know it was me. there's some more tickets but I can't remember them all. There was the time I did a line lock in front of the police to see what i'd get for a ticket $250 for essesive noise and bald tires( could have been recless driving if I tried harder. some of the newer ones I diched a cop but on a dead end road so I waited for like 2mins and pulled out behined a slow Buick as we were driving down the road the Buick decides to make a turn just as the cop is passing back by, I see him turn around and get behined me at the stop sign. As I'm waiting to turn i see another cop back in to a driveway waiting for me. So I pull out turn down another road and suddenly lites, loud speakers, and a cop car almost in my front bumper, man was he pissed I thought he was gonna shoot me. I played inocent like it wans't me, sent the ticket in notguilty and got off in court. Last one was when I was racing a cop down a wet road for like 10miles. Didn't know it was a cop till the end of the road. He pulls me over talking to me like I was crazy for driving that fast on a wet road, and that I may not feel that fast in a sporty little car, and that he would have pulled me over sooner but he couldn't catch up. I wanted to tell him I would have been going faster but I didn't want to spill my tea, and that I'd be scared to drive that fast to if I was in a Crownvic. I did tell him that I usually luck out and just come up behind him and follow him down the road at 70, he denied it was him(lier). As I found out he wrote the whole ticket wrong. He wrote it for 80 in a 30 and gave me a court date for the week before he even pulled me over. It should have been wreakless driving with a road side loss of licesce and a Legacy going for a ride on the flat bed. Got off. It pay to have your dad working at statepolice headquarters.
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 02-09-2003, 05:52 AM

i just got pulled over last night....the cop kept asking me over and over again if it was my car....i kept telling him that it is tech my stepdad's, but i pay all the bills on it...i think he thought that i had been drinking because i studdered over my words because i was so cold...and scared...i was doing like 45-50 in a 45. but i slowed down as soon as i saw him coming down on the on ramp. as soon as he got that it wasn't my car, but my step dad's and that he is the one that lost his license for a few weeks, he finially let me go with nothing, just a drive safely b/s.. he was nice compared to the horror stories that i had heard about the cops in that town.

that was the first time i got pulled over in like a year...the last time is because i had baby paper plates on my car when i bought her the end of Feb last year.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:21 AM

Many years ago now (circa 1968 if you must know) I received a ticket for "Failure to yield to the reasonable directions of a lawful officer". What does that mean you ask....

In the late 60s I frequented a street racing scene in St Louis MO known as Hall Street. It was 4 lanes wide, flat, and straight for several miles. The only occupants were industrial - warehouses and such. None of the businesses were open on weekend nights - illegal drag racing paradise. Anyway, in one large sweep of the racers, they were waving people over for an mass ticket "party". I extended one particular finger and waved at the nice police officer as I drove by, thinking I might refuse their kind offer of a citation. Radio was, and still is, faster than any car I've seen. Thank goodness for mail-in tickets. I thought if I had to explain this to a judge, he just might offer me a stay at their facilities.

One more story....The military thing worked for me once: In the early 70s, I was on a Norton motorcycle in South Carolina, outside Charleston. The highway speed dropped from 55 to 45. I slowed slightly as I hit the reduced speed zone, but the officer said I was still doing 115 in a 45. Adding insult to injury, I had drank a few beers, but not enough to be drunk. I gave him a story which I'll not bore you with here, but he let me go with a warning and followed me to the base, making sure I got off "his" road.

I've pretty much been a good boy since, no tickets in the last 25 years (knocking on wood as I type).