Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2003, 03:58 PM
Jay_Walker

"Randy,

It is an impressive and uncommon trait among the younger generation (myself included) to listen without becoming immediatly defensive. This doesnt seem to be the norm for young SVXers, (with some obvious acceptions), which is fantastic!

Generation SVX?

Mike "

In response to this, I really dont feel that I'm being defensive in my refusal to allow someone I don't know and have never met to unfairly catogorize me. I feel that it is improper and a sign or ignorance. And while hotshoe has offered, advice in the past, some of which i have taken to heart. That does not negate the fact that in this matter, this being my own opinion of course, he wrong. Call me defensive if you wish, but I found those insulting. Wether or not you consider this a problem is none of my concern. But I do so a said my peace.

- Jay
Old 01-29-2003, 04:15 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Whoa there, tiger...

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX

Hotshoe isnt 'condemning' anybody. He was just offering a little advice. And, a little advice, as they say, never hurt anyone.

Mike
I agree with Jay_Walker. Hotshoe's post would have easily put me on the defensive, if the accident had been mine instead of deruvian's.

What made Hotshoe's post seem 'condemning' was his conditional acceptance of deruvian's facts. He made his judgement, that deruvian's accident was his own fault and he should have been more careful, and then picked and chose which parts of deruvian's story he would accept in order to fit that theory. Examples:

Deruvian's claim that he was travelling at 45-50mph. Hotshoe didn't accept this number and immediately filled in the blank with his own, in order to fit his version of an accident that he did not witness.

Deruvian's claim that his car skidded on its roof for 300ft. Hotshoe was willing to accept this number, because it fit his theory. Even though he was perfectly willing to discard deruvian's claimed speed as bogus, for Hotshoe the 300ft figure was rock-solid proof that deruvian was to blame.

I hope this explains why Hotshoe's post seemed, to me, to be 'condemning.' It gave me the impression that, before he had even read the post, he had made up his mind that deruvian's accident was just another stupid kid getting himself in trouble. He didn't even seem to consider the idea that the guy was telling the truth.

The defense rests.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE

Last edited by Mr. Pockets; 01-29-2003 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-29-2003, 09:05 PM
hotshoe50

to Jay_Walker

Hello my friend!

First, thanks Mike, I think that you understand what I was saying.

I'm really sorry that one of our group lost his car and do to a combination of circumstances, had a huge accident.

I have had three chidren get their driving licence and each has been 16, 17 18 and 19: trust me, I've walked that line a bunch of times.

If you read his accident report, and then my reply, you might see that I am not so much criticising young drivers but rather encouraging them to take driving very seriously.

Personally, I do and still teach high performance and racing techniques and still race cars on the track. So does my son and he is 19 next week: that said he slid on snow this year and in spite of 9 years of racing, 2 schools, managed to kiss the nose of his car.

We all can do it, easily,,, I just think that we can reduce the odds and do better: 17 year olds are NOT immortal and are not gifted drivers, much as they think so, unless they have learned to be and thats my point.

I'm really happy he is OK and hope he gets another car (maybe even an svx), but the message here is not about roaring down fast roads at night, its about knowing your abilities and limits and operating within them

Hotshoe
Old 01-30-2003, 12:06 PM

i am glad to hear that you are okay. at any age, a person can freeze up behind the wheel. with the way that this person was driving, they were probably drunk, because a person that leaned over to get a CD would have probably stopped at this bad accident, just to see if you were okay...a drunk person would have wanted to hightail it out of there. if there were no skid marks in the places that he was in, he had no intention of stopping any time soon. so this asshole was not paying attention at all. it is sad to hear about this all, but i am really glad that you were okay. many people don't walk away from accidents like that.

Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Ladies, ladies, ladies . . . you are ALL missing the point.

As you may know, the Chinese word for "crisis" is composed of the characters for two other words - "danger" and "opportunity". This young man has obviously had his brush with danger, of a sort that none of us have any desire to experience.

Now comes the time to seize the opportunity.

Deruvian, if your sun visors are grey, don't flop, and are in good shape after the crash, I'll give you $70 for the pair.

Seriously, I am glad you avoided serious injury and sad that one more SVX has passed on. As others have said, it likely gave its life to save yours. The real opportunity is for you to learn from this situation, and do what you can to reduce the possibility that it will recur.

You sound like a smart guy with your head on your shoulders, so I'm sure you're going to do just fine.

< now, about those sun visors . . . >
2001 Outback Sport
Old 01-30-2003, 12:49 PM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

dick, i just snatched up a pair for $10/each last week. the lights even work. i'll keep an eye out for you. the nondroopy gray type .

nice marketing hotshoe everyone should take a defensive driving course and i teach one as mentioned earlier.
Old 01-30-2003, 12:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
All original, baby!

Quote:
Originally posted by sfsvx
Ladies, ladies, ladies . . . you are ALL missing the point.

As you may know, the Chinese word for "crisis" is composed of the characters for two other words - "danger" and "opportunity". This young man has obviously had his brush with danger, of a sort that none of us have any desire to experience.

Now comes the time to seize the opportunity.

Deruvian, if your sun visors are grey, don't flop, and are in good shape after the crash, I'll give you $70 for the pair.

Seriously, I am glad you avoided serious injury and sad that one more SVX has passed on. As others have said, it likely gave its life to save yours. The real opportunity is for you to learn from this situation, and do what you can to reduce the possibility that it will recur.

You sound like a smart guy with your head on your shoulders, so I'm sure you're going to do just fine.

< now, about those sun visors . . . >
Dick, I'll be thinking about you tomorrow morning when I pull down my drivers side sun visor and slowly push it up until <SNAP!> it pops itself tightly against the headliner.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-30-2003, 01:14 PM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Question

Quote:
Originally posted by SHISVX
i am glad to hear that you are okay. at any age, a person can freeze up behind the wheel. with the way that this person was driving, they were probably drunk, because a person that leaned over to get a CD would have probably stopped at this bad accident, just to see if you were okay...a drunk person would have wanted to hightail it out of there. if there were no skid marks in the places that he was in, he had no intention of stopping any time soon. so this asshole was not paying attention at all. it is sad to hear about this all, but i am really glad that you were okay. many people don't walk away from accidents like that.

Kelli
(Hey....? how can she get a way with asshole and I can't say b**ch???)

Anyway... I agree that the person might have been drunk. I'm glad that you were not hurt. Your age and experience level were most definitely factors in the incident with the pros and the cons of each canceling each other out (ie., young reflexes vs. lack of driving experience). The type of car most likely saved you from injury if not saving your life.
Due to the group of young drivers that are currently picking up the SVX at a low dollar value and the statistical (please don't argue about the statistics there right there in the insurance tables) odds, there will be more and more "parts cars" soon.
This will do two things.... Reduce the numbers at meets and (hopefully) increase the value of the remaining cars....

Again, I'm sorry for your loss could we talk about your tranny and engine???
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 01-30-2003, 02:25 PM
Jay_Walker

Hey,

I can understand from a statistical point of view that teen drivers are the most dangerous. But once again, its a reputation that, while fairly earned, is unfairly distributed. I think these arguments about young drivers are unfair and drastically overgeneralized, but such is my opinion. I can't help but think I may have struck a match to an open gas can, however, and would rather let the issue drop. Lets just all give Deruvian our condolences, and lement his martyred car with free alcohol at my house! All an all this sounds like a much more hospitible and hormonious way to spend out time. As long as no one drives home after drinking that is. Then we can expect several fistfights, a mass drunken brawl, and eventually the four horsemen, who spirit us away from our auto's and deliver us to the turmoil of an SVX'less heven or hell. Respectivly.

- Jay
Old 01-30-2003, 03:49 PM

re: sheesh jay

hey jay ............. TEENAGER!!!!!!! that's right, i called it........
I'm going to group you in with all of em. Irresponsible, psycho drivers! i'm sending you to teenager driver class at hotshoe's camp for crapy drivers! eat that! how does that go, that phrase....oh yeah....your greasy, greasy, grandmama!

hmm..that's all that i can come up with

all this thinking to write long passages is giving me a headache. the fleas on my head are hopping up and down from the heat...oh well

disclaimer: this was my sorry attempt to piss off jay to see how he can vent his anger . this was designed as a way for Harry to lash out at jay and make him cry. <probably a failed attempt but i need some advil now>
Old 01-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Jay_Walker

How can I make fun of a man who makes fun of himself. it so blasted IRRITAITING. SON OF A SHOE. I'M A GOOD DRIVER! AHHHHHH! I FEEL LIKE CHARLIE BROWN AND THAT DANG LUCY KEEPS YANKING THE DAMN BALL OUT FROM THE- AHHHHHHH! DIE DIE DIE DIE.

Ddefinatly a good driver- dddefinatly a good driver, definatly. Dont leave the engine running, Ima a good driver, dddefinatly.
Old 01-30-2003, 04:16 PM

jay, so what should i tell my ex who calls me now after we have not spoken for 1.5 years? i believe she's had a few flings during that span. suggestions????
Old 01-30-2003, 06:08 PM
Kolombian013X

My father was very reluctant and scared to give me the SVX but he thought that it would only be fair to give it to me since it was my sisters. He also had trust in me and believed that I would take great care of it. Sure there are stupid drivers out there and most of them are teens, but it doesnt mean all of them are like that. Im 17 and Ive been driving for over a year. Besides a minor accident in the winter and a flat tire, I think Im a very responsible and safe driver. Im sorry about your totaled SVX and I just think that its unfair to say it was your or who evers fault. Itll take time to get over but its good to hear that your fine.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Walker
How can I make fun of a man who makes fun of himself. it so blasted IRRITAITING. SON OF A SHOE. I'M A GOOD DRIVER! AHHHHHH! I FEEL LIKE CHARLIE BROWN AND THAT DANG LUCY KEEPS YANKING THE DAMN BALL OUT FROM THE- AHHHHHHH! DIE DIE DIE DIE.

Ddefinatly a good driver- dddefinatly a good driver, definatly. Dont leave the engine running, Ima a good driver, dddefinatly.

"You empty headed animal food trough water, I blow my nose at you. You, with your knees-bent, running about, advancing behavior. I blow my nose at you, son of a silly person. Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries. Now, go away, or I shall taunt you a second time-uh."
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 01-31-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-30-2003, 07:15 PM

<over a loudspeaker> and the winner is "RANDY"