How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2003, 01:54 AM

Send a message via AIM to AnthraXFan Send a message via Yahoo to AnthraXFan
wide tires vs. snow

i'm not sure what all this talk about is... well, i have a 96, maybe it has wider tires as some of you have said. So many people say this car is great in the winter, with a couple of inches of snow on the ground even. Well, if i am taking a corner even at slow speeds, if i even touch the gas, the backend seems to slide right around. During the first week of winter driving, i almost hit 3 vehicles, 1 of which was in my parking lot. maybe it's just the michigan roads, who knows.
neighbor of mine said her 92 is like a tank in the winter...hmm....

Go to my Site!

http://www.railroadfan.com
Old 01-23-2003, 04:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
First, state make and size of tires and the tread condition.
Second, are you sure that the AWD is working ?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 01-23-2003, 06:17 AM
hotshoe50

tires???

Hi

As Larry said, what rubber is on your car?

If its a stock high performance summer tire or even an "all season" tire, you got what you should expect...

I live in snow country in Ontario and you MUST have snow tires, not all season tires and even some "mud and snow" tires are really just an all season with a slightly more aggressive tread.

As an aside the real snow tires I bought were NORDIC Icetrac in a 215/60 x 16 and cost $77.00 cdn which work out to be about $35.00 in Yankee dollars (just kidding!!!!!)

They are unbelievable....want me to send you a set [ at $50. per tire, how can you go wrong????

Hotshoe
Old 01-23-2003, 07:30 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Car in snow

Since I've got it in 99 I've always run Yoko A540's on my car. The back end does have a tendency to slide in snow but that's the beauty of AWD. Its very predictable. PLAN for it and step on the gas. The rear will squat down and you'll pull through just fine. Think of it as practice for the next rally. Comparably though the car sucks in snow to my old 94 Impreza. That think stuck like glue with the Bridgestone RE92s. I'm sure the lack of power and the narrow tires didn't help. I drove to N. PA in 2 feet of snow with mine and didn't come close to getting stuck though. Can't beat it for forward traction. My suggestion is wait til spring or summer and get a winter beater. You'll pay that much for tires anyway. That way you keep the salt off your baby.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:53 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I think that either your tires are not suitable for the conditions or you're expecting too much from the car. When I say that the SVX is great in the snow (and I do say that), I mean it's great in the snow relative to every other car I've driven in snow. Any car is poor in the snow compared to its dry-road performance.

Slow it down. A lot. Remember that AWD means that you have decent traction when accelerating, but it doesn't help you one bit while braking. The same goes for turning while braking or coasting. You're going to understeer no matter what you drive.

Yeah, MI roads do suck. I can't believe the highway conditions that get excused in this state. In other states, road maintenance like this would be criminal.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-23-2003, 08:17 AM
ww111

Cure for Understeer

I too, was tired of going straight while I was turning so I figured this little trick out in the snow (4.1 Deg F outside now, by the Ol' Fluke on the wall)

Start your turn and give it just enough hand brake to get the rear sliding. Let off the handbrake and keep dragging the back end around while under power. To go straight again (always important) Straighten the steering wheel and let off the gas for a second. The car settles pretty quickly going in a straight line.
Disclaimer:
This works with 4 good Blizzaks. AND you're never REALLY sideways. It just gets the car moving well in the yaw axis. Try it you'l like it.
Collins 92 pearlie
Old 01-23-2003, 08:22 AM
hotshoe50

BENEBOB!!!

I read your note with interest...

The oddest thing is that lower powered cars with narrow SNOW tires are the best for non professional drivers to use in deep snow or on ice.

Check out a WRC Subaru: skinny tires on ultra lightweight rims and tons of power but the pros don't drive like mere mortals.

It takes lots of skill to use lots of power but on either snow or ice, narrower is better by far because wide floats and thus slides

Hotshoe
Old 01-23-2003, 08:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Cure for Understeer

Quote:
Originally posted by ww111
I too, was tired of going straight while I was turning so I figured this little trick out in the snow (4.1 Deg F outside now, by the Ol' Fluke on the wall)

Start your turn and give it just enough hand brake to get the rear sliding. Let off the handbrake and keep dragging the back end around while under power. To go straight again (always important) Straighten the steering wheel and let off the gas for a second. The car settles pretty quickly going in a straight line.
Disclaimer:
This works with 4 good Blizzaks. AND you're never REALLY sideways. It just gets the car moving well in the yaw axis. Try it you'l like it.
Collins 92 pearlie
I use the handbrake on the Justy a lot in the snow, but never around other cars. I wouldn't dare try this in traffic. I've gotten pretty good at it, but it's admittedly risky and other people on the road will freak when they see your car sliding like that.

Sure, go ahead and try this on a gravel road where you can be reasonably sure that there aren't any other cars around, but don't start doing this in traffic.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: BENEBOB!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by hotshoe50
I read your note with interest...

The oddest thing is that lower powered cars with narrow SNOW tires are the best for non professional drivers to use in deep snow or on ice.

Check out a WRC Subaru: skinny tires on ultra lightweight rims and tons of power but the pros don't drive like mere mortals.

It takes lots of skill to use lots of power but on either snow or ice, narrower is better by far because wide floats and thus slides

Hotshoe
What I meant to say was "I'm sure the lack of power and skinny tires did help" Not sure where the n't came from. As for the WRC Subies. It helps to be in a car that's got bead welds all around rather than spot welds. It provides tons of confidence when you can roll 10 times and flip the thing back over, put it in gear and go. I tried that with my Impreza. It wasn't going anywhere. Granted the bank that I used to stop with after the roll kinda took care of that.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:54 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
From my experience in 4 wheeling, narrow tires are the choice for hardpack snow and ice. Wide tires are the way to go for deep loose snow (even let some air out for increased floatation). But either way you need a truly aggressive tread designed for snow and ice or you will go nowhere fast. For the SVX wide is not really an option since you will not be plowing up virgin fields and powerline trails in 1.5 feet of snow or more. Go with a narrower tire with a good snow & ice tread and you will find renewed confidence in your SVXes abilities. Besides, having the backend come out under power just makes it all the more fun. Take some time and practice up in an abandoned parking lot and you won't be able to imagine driving anyother way in the slick stuff than rally style

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:01 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

I have learned my lesson. Check out the snow rating before you buy.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:32 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Since rotating my tires (for the first time in 2 years) I noticed a drastic change in handling in snow/ice. Before, my car was a tank and pushed going into corners. Now the car seems more balanced. I was surprised the difference even though the visual difference wasn't much.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:41 PM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
I have high performance, summer only tires, and I live in IL. they obviously REALLY suck in snow, but since i just sunk about $600 into it, i don't have enough for new tires, i was wondering, are there cheap tires that are 225/50/16(is this the stock size?? i don't have stock wheels). I wouldn't mind changing the tires on the wheels on and off, but if i could buy cheap wheels too, with snow tires on them that would be great.

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker