Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Possible new suspension alternative - Stance Coilovers

So for those of you who's caught my posts in the recent thread by dbarnblatt (Here) regarding the lack of strut availability, I've contacted Stance USA about any interest they may have in developing a system for the SVX. This is all very tentative and I can promise absolutely nothing, but here's the details so far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Pilot
Hey guys,

Bit of an off the wall question, but would you ever consider developping a coilover system for the Subaru SVX? I'm an active member of the main owners group, and one of the biggest problems facing us right now is a lack of suspension parts. It seems that the OEM replacements have sat in storage for 15+ years and blow out in a month or two of use. In the past many have had custom coilovers put together using Koni inserts and Ground Control springs on the stock strut bodies, but Koni has discontinued the inserts.

The reason I'm contacting you guys is that I installed a set of GR+ coilovers in my SVX 18 months ago. It took some work, but I was able to get a set meant for a 2002-07 WRX to fit, and the function has been flawless. Given that I was able to do this, would it be feasible to develop a system for the SVX based on the WRX setup you already have? The upper and lower mounts would need to be modified, but the body is perfect in it's current form. The link below shows the thread that documents my installation:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...t=41831&page=3

If someone could look it over and let me know what you think I'd be very grateful. There are many owners who love their cars and are faced with the shortage of replacement parts, and it will be a terrible shame to see these cars being scrapped because of this.

Thanks,

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stance Rep
Hey Chris,
I appreciate you coming to us for this project. We have been recently taking on more and more application development for cars that have very limited options when it comes to upgraded suspension. I'm going to run this past the owner here and see if we would be willing to take on the SVX. We may ask for a certain number of locked in customers for the specific product before putting forth the effort and research to complete the set up. I will be in touch.
Thanks,
Scott
Now this does give me pause. I've been a part of this community long enough to know how tentative we are as a whole regarding initial group buys, and I can see this being an issue here. If it comes to requiring a certain number of orders up front all I ask is that we keep an eye to the future and view it as an investment in our cars that will benefit us and future owners.

I'll keep people posted as I receive updates.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Last edited by Crazy_pilot; 03-23-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:35 PM
work in progress

Send a message via AIM to LastSVXintheChi
Registered SVX
Re: Possible new suspension alternative - Stance Coilovers

How much did it cost you to convert your car over?

If it didnt cost you anything do you know how much their average setup costs?

1992 dark teal SVX LS
Old 03-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSVXintheChi View Post
How much did it cost you to convert your car over?

If it didnt cost you anything do you know how much their average setup costs?

I would assume $1435 like the rest of theirs.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I bought my suspension used on NASIOC for $900. I was reasonably confident that it would work, but in the event it didn't I wanted to keep my investment to the minimum.

And yes, their typical entry level pricing is $1400-1500.

2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos

Old 03-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I have been in touch with AMR Engineering because of SunValleyRay's suggestion. He said he's very busy right now but I should expect coilovers in about 8 weeks. I'm waiting for his proposal. He has a set of SVX coilovers to work from. Says he can make any way I want with respect to race applicability. I hope to be getting something more for street with some drop. I don't mean to take the wind out of anyone's sails with this post and do want to add to the discussion. Point is: this company has been recommended to me by a fellow SVX owner. He's got the design worked out, supposedly. He does not require a volume purchase. I don't know him or guarantee reliability at all but may be able to tell you something about these in 8 weeks. Just something to consider. Price for street coilovers is less than $1800, but I don't have a firm proposal yet. If AMR doesn't work out, I am interested in other options.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Wow, 2 possible options?? Thats great! I am personally leaning a bit towards the Stance ones if they can mock them up to have the same ride height as Chris. I think his looks sweet and will shell out the money in a heartbeat to get some.

Cheers to you both for helping us get options I think i speak for the club when I say "Cheers!!"
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:48 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Yeah...not to be a pest or anything :P but have either of you heard anything back on these yet? Just curious
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:02 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

lol. No, nothing more to report yet. I don't expect it'll be a quick moving process though. Working in a design/engineering field I know how long it can take to get a ball rolling.

And the more options the better! If the Stance route works out, great. If AMR comes through, equally great!

Old 03-26-2012, 04:11 PM

Registered SVX

Sorry, nothing here, either. I expect it'll be May before I hear anything. That's when I'll start nagging. He told me 8 weeks about 1 week or 2 ago. To me, that means wait till May to start nagging him again, though I did send him a reminder the other day and he acknowledged me. I feel like I have to tread lightly for something like this. It's not as though this'll bring a huge boost in his business. So, patience here, too.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I cannot take credit for discovering Andy from AMR, I found Andy three years ago via a post by mbtoloczko. I have met Andy twice, seen his work and plan to order a set of four soon. I also have delivered two complete sets of OEM springs/shocks to Andy to assist in him developing an after market coil over for the SVX. Check out his site and see his work, I have not seen better.

Ray
Old 03-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

Thanks for the updates guys I appreciate it. Guess I'll just have to be patient. I'll bug you in May
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

I am talking with a couple people from Turn In Concepts about making some. They think the market will be limited so I think a group buy would probably have to be made.

I'll talk to them more at a Subaru meet I'm attending in 2mo.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:14 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for all the efforts!

One concern I have with a coil over set-up like these is how practical will they be for stock type car. Meaning will these be able to provide a quite type road going ride?

Aluminum top mounts and stiff springs... can versions be made for a more comfort type of ride. Just the aluminum top mounts makes me think the cabin noise is going to be very loud.

Can different specs be made?

What are everyone's thoughts?
Old 03-29-2012, 09:49 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
I am talking with a couple people from Turn In Concepts about making some. They think the market will be limited so I think a group buy would probably have to be made.

I'll talk to them more at a Subaru meet I'm attending in 2mo.
They had a fleeting moment of interest in the SVX, but none of us bought anything (well, I bought those polish bushings from them) so they may have put it on the backburner and not gone back to it.

But, I bet they would be willing to do a group buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
One concern I have with a coil over set-up like these is how practical will they be for stock type car. Meaning will these be able to provide a quite type road going ride?

Aluminum top mounts and stiff springs... can versions be made for a more comfort type of ride. Just the aluminum top mounts makes me think the cabin noise is going to be very loud.

Can different specs be made?

What are everyone's thoughts?
Also, to those concerned with comfort, etc ^^. The coilover setup on my car is probably one of the "harshest" on any SVX (camber/caster front topmounts, and solid rear topmounts). It's not uncomfortable. It's not even that much stiffer feeling than my wife's Lancer. What squishiness you give up in going to a stiff top mount you gain back tenfold in how precise it feels instead. It doesn't have to feel like a Civic slammed to the ground, rock hard through turns and scraping on every bump. It feels like a sport/luxury car instead of luxury/sport perhaps.

Adjustable dampers mean you can tune the stiffness of the struts, and I'm sure there will be many different spring rates to choose from. And adjustable height means you can lower it if you want to get rid of a bit of wheel-well gap, or slam it to the ground, or (and I know it seems crazy) you can leave it at stock height.

Bolt-in coilovers would be a better option than new OEM struts, since they're newly built and should be overkill if anything. I kinda lost my train of thought, but what I'm trying to say is that coilovers basically have no downside.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 03-29-2012, 09:59 PM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
They had a fleeting moment of interest in the SVX, but none of us bought anything (well, I bought those polish bushings from them) so they may have put it on the backburner and not gone back to it.

But, I bet they would be willing to do a group buy.
Probably was on the backburner, but I notified them of our situation and they seemed enthusiastic.