Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2002, 07:49 AM
danrowski

Urgent Strut Question

I am about to get my front two struts replaced and I am curious as to what it might cost and where I might take it. Could I take it to something like a midas or a brake shop? If one had a spring compressor, would this be something a person could do with a little know how and some mechanically inclined friends? I priced the stock struts on subaruparts.com and they aren't so bad, it was just the labor I would like to know if I ended up taking it to a shop. Thanks for your time.

Danny
Old 09-14-2002, 08:47 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Struts

Yes in theory one can do the struts themselves, however, unless you got the tools and inclination it is much easier to have it done up on a lift. I just had Koni adjustable struts put in up front. Price is very similar to the stock struts and THEY ARE GREAT. Midas should be fine with it but I would trust it more at your local garage. The place I had mine done at told me they were some of the hardest struts to do (they work on everything from Exotics to a VW). Just don't forget to have it allined after getting them done.
Old 09-14-2002, 08:54 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Disclaimer: Working on live suspension is dangerous. The suggestions here are meant only for people with above average mechanical skills and good automotive suspension system knowledge. In other words, if you don't know what each part does, don't try this.

I would not attempt the actual strut replacement yourself, however, if you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the suspension assembly and take that in with the new struts to a shop.

Usually if it doesn't tie up a stall at the garage, they'll give you a break, plus you are doing some of the R&R.

I would paint the adjustment bolt heads on the lower strut mount with a line at 12 O'Clock and 3 O'Clock so you can get the alignment close when reassembling. (I haven't tried this on the SVX, but you can usually reach these bolts while the car is on the ground by turning the wheel full lock.) Then remove the small nuts at the top of each strut in the engine bay. DO NOT REMOVE THE LARGE CENTER NUT.

Then jack up the car so the front wheels are hanging freely. Give a little push on the wheel down to see if there is still tension on the strut. If there is no tension, the strut plate should start to come down from the engine compartment since the nuts were removed. Then feel free to remove the lower bolts and brake line holder and wiggle assembly out.

If there is still tension, meaning the strut will not slide out of the engine bay mounts, you will have to remove the sway bay mounts and anything else that is preventing the suspension from traveling enough to remove tension.

Remember to have the car aligned when finished.

Good Luck

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker

Last edited by mohrds; 09-14-2002 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-14-2002, 11:09 AM
danrowski

Gentlemen,

Thank you for you timely replies and your generous information.
Where might I purchase a pair of KONI's? Would someone have
a part number handy? I am hoping the labor charges won't kill me.
Once again, thank you.

Danny.
Old 09-14-2002, 12:24 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Another note: If this is the first timeyour struts have been changed, I'd change the mounts. There was a TSB on the '92 mounts, which were upgraded. If you are not sure if the upgraded mounts were installed, I'd do it, at this time.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 09-14-2002, 02:11 PM
Ca$h

Wow. What a PITA. :| G'luck man!

- Ca$h
Old 09-14-2002, 03:55 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
The Konis are a special order item only. Koni stopped making them years ago on regular production, now they are only available when someone puts together a special purchase of 25 or 50 sets. Two special purchases were done and I don't know if there are any sets left. You could track down who did them rom doing a search on Koni in this forum. Dayle at Motorsport in Tuscon did the first set (that's when I got mine). My advice - go with the OEM - less hassle and I haven't noticed a whole lot of difference.

You can do it yourself with a little help from a friend or two. You need a spring compressor - I got the best one available from JC Whitneys - it has safety clips which won't allow it to slip off.

It would help a lot if you get a set of calipers to measure exactly the place where the strut bolts in so to minimize the amount the alignment will be out. We did such a good job with mine that when I went for an alignment, it wasn't out at all.

Good luck.
Old 11-03-2002, 05:36 PM
bbjones121

By the way, they still sell the Konis at http://www.classicgarage.com/classic...svx19fron.html all four for $639. They have like 20 left when I talked with them.