How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-21-2002, 05:06 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to rayford
missing blue code test wire

Hi. all. I am new to this site and don't know if I am doing anything right just yet..... but I have a problem..... I have seen on here how to read the codes from the computer but they "blue" wire that is supposed to be used to place in the black plug seems to be missing .. there was some wiring work done under the dash before I bought the car early this year. It has had some wires added to the top of he fuse block although it was done by a professional I belive because the recipt was with the owners manual that stated that over $400 was paid to do wiring repairs. What I am wondering is ,, where does the blue wire come from, is it just a body ground? I have looked in the left kick panel severeal times and it just isn't visable, so, If I am in the right place and anyone knows the origion of the blue wire, maybe I can still extract the code, obviously the check engine light is on or I wouldn't worry about it...... the only thing I can find with the running of the care is the hesitation when the car is first started after it sits for a few hours. I have read in here that several SVX's do that and I don't think that is a code problem anyway as it should be running in a open loop when it first starts... anyway if anyone can shed any light on the miss placed wire , please let me know.. thanks ..... I had this posted in a different place on this site and I think I was in the wrong place then, as I said am new to this
Old 08-21-2002, 04:47 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Here's the Pic

I've attached a picture of what it looks like. You can see from the picture the two blue wires and the black diagnostic connector.

To read the code, hold the black connector with the notch facing upwards, and insert one of the blue wires into the top row, 2nd hole from the left. Then turn your keys to ON (without starting the engine) position, and count the blinks on the Check Engine Light. Long = 10, Short =1, multiple codes are displayed one after another. 1/4 second steady blinks means there's no code stored.

VK
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_1191.jpg (630.0 KB, 496 views)
Old 08-21-2002, 07:48 PM

Thanks very much for the picture.. vkykam I was able to find the two blue wires to plug into the black connector,, the only two other things I am not sure about is if it makes any difference which blue wire I use , and there are two black connecters.. from the photo it shows the smaller one, is that the one I should use. I am guessing the larger one is for the dealer to plug his machine into.... if you know please let me know... again thanks for your help..
Old 08-21-2002, 09:24 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Either of the two blue wires is fine. I don't recall seeing a second black connector, but the one in the picture is the one I use.

To reset the codes, you plug both wires into holes 1 and 2 on the top row, turn ignition on, start car, and drive around until the check engine light blinks at 1/4 second intervals.

VK
Old 08-22-2002, 05:35 PM

Thanks very much for your help. I did as you said and the code comes up as 21 which is a water t emperature sensor. I will try to find one locally. It only showed the same code over and over so I think there is only one problelm with it.... as I said the only problem I am having is the start,, die ,start die, thing and after a short time will run perfectly the rest of the day ,from reading the posts on here that isn't too uncommon..... Thanks again you were a big help.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:55 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by rayford
Thanks very much for your help. I did as you said and the code comes up as 21 which is a water t emperature sensor. I will try to find one locally. It only showed the same code over and over so I think there is only one problelm with it.... as I said the only problem I am having is the start,, die ,start die, thing and after a short time will run perfectly the rest of the day ,from reading the posts on here that isn't too uncommon..... Thanks again you were a big help.
I believe that was the code I had. Be careful when ordering the part as there are 2 sensors...one for the temperature gauge and one for the ECU. You need the one for the ECU.

No check engine light ever since!
Old 08-22-2002, 08:59 PM

Thanks Earthworm... with my luck I will probably get the wrong one.... I replaced one in one of my XT's and it wasn't bad , but on this car I can't even see much,,,,,,,,,hope I never have to change the spark plugs..lol by the way. if you don't mind , can you tell me the general area to look for this sensor?? thanks again for your help...
Old 08-22-2002, 09:20 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
You can access the sensor without removing anything. It's on the engine on the driver's (left) side at the back of the intake plenum. If I was at home I would give you the part number. The sensor has 2 contacts if that helps.

Expect to lose a little bit of coolant when replacing the sensor.

- Release coolant pressure with the radiator cap
- With the rad cap tight remove the old sensor and install the new one
Old 08-22-2002, 09:50 PM

Thanks Earthworm... that sounds simple enough... I will see if that gets rid of he light. if not. I think I have some black tape somewhere around here... thanks again...
Old 08-22-2002, 10:04 PM
Meow!

I really do not suggest the black tape solution as that if any other error code comes up you will never know. That's also the reason why I will never unplug my tranny resistor.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:32 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Make sure you do it with a cold engine because:

1) You don't really want to burn your hands on this hot puppie, and

2) With the engine cold, my mechanic changed it and only lost 6 drops of coolant. Honest.

I'll try to get some pics up tomorrow.

VK