Re: Resinator

this needs to be settled in a drag race, 1 with resonator 1 without resonator
Old 04-25-2010, 11:44 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
yer not makin any sense...

You need a space where a space once was.. If there was a resonator there once before, there should be one there when you build a new exhaust as well.
Damn it, just who or what is not making sense? This forum has become senseless.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

I guess not senseless but confusing..
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..

Last edited by Freeman; 04-25-2010 at 11:53 PM. Reason: :confused:
Old 04-26-2010, 10:26 AM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
yer not makin any sense...

You need a space where a space once was.. If there was a resonator there once before, there should be one there when you build a new exhaust as well.

Really? Based on what? I have got to hear this.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Based on what OT told me. I said that already..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:07 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

I received a very short reply from Magnaflow's tech center today:

Exhaust resonator
Monday, April 26, 2010 10:09 AM
To:"Bonestock"

Hello,

Resonators are just mufflers, they are no different then a muffler internally or externally. When you put a second muffler in line with the existing muffler you call it a resonator. Resonators are used to help control sound or to control drone.

Thank you

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 10:06 AM
To: moreinfo
Subject: Exhaust resonator

Hello, I have been trying to verify what purpose an exhaust resonator serves and why. Correct me if I am wrong here but as I understand it they are used simply to alter the exhaust sound (eliminating certain frequencies or by reducing the overall decibel level). You guys are the experts, am I wrong in the above statement?

Thank you for your time.

Steven

So if ANY of you "experts" want to argue it out with Magnaflow, good luck with that.

/thread
Old 04-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I work for AT&T and I could have someone call me and I could tell them that a cell phone will fry eggs, doesn't make it true..
Old 04-26-2010, 01:39 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonestock View Post
I received a very short reply from Magnaflow's tech center today:

Exhaust resonator
Monday, April 26, 2010 10:09 AM
To:"Bonestock"

Hello,

Resonators are just mufflers, they are no different then a muffler internally or externally. When you put a second muffler in line with the existing muffler you call it a resonator. Resonators are used to help control sound or to control drone.

Thank you

Sent: Monday, April 26, 2010 10:06 AM
To: moreinfo
Subject: Exhaust resonator

Hello, I have been trying to verify what purpose an exhaust resonator serves and why. Correct me if I am wrong here but as I understand it they are used simply to alter the exhaust sound (eliminating certain frequencies or by reducing the overall decibel level). You guys are the experts, am I wrong in the above statement?

Thank you for your time.

Steven

So if ANY of you "experts" want to argue it out with Magnaflow, good luck with that.

/thread
As this thread progresses every detail that I have put forward is being proven true.

N.B. All of that which Steven has pointed out above is correct. The information is further confirmed within the site addresses I provided in a previous post.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I work for AT&T and I could have someone call me and I could tell them that a cell phone will fry eggs, doesn't make it true..
The self gratification represented at the bottom of your every post, tells a story always exemplified by the text above. You should get into bed with Harvey.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I have no clue what your talking about.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I have no clue what your talking about.
That figures.

Old 04-26-2010, 03:15 PM

Lack of back pressure used to be blamed for valves & guides burning up.....that also happened when lead was taken out of petrol - alot of older cars had to have hardened valves & valve seats "set-in" in place of the older types.......
Old 04-26-2010, 04:34 PM
Nürburgring Warrior!

Registered SVX

Quote:
So no matter what the facts are you choose to ignore them. Thats fine but don't come in here stating your opinion as fact. I know you are following in the words of your hero. Unfortunately, he isn't right on this one. But if you want to keep swingin' on that sack.... have at it.
Old 04-26-2010, 04:53 PM

Hey... wait a minute....

What is all this exhaust talk?

I thought you guys were talking about some sort of composite resin machine, or something...

The title says "Resinator".

And all you guys seem to be talking about resonators.

Somehow I think you guys are getting stuck on semantics of whether fluid/air pressure waves are sound waves or not, and some fluid dynamics stuff.

The question is, why must it be a fist fight? There should be some opportunity for real education here. Not every forum has the knowledge base that this one does, which is a thing to be thankful for. However, it gets harder to be thankful for seeming condescension and dismissiveness.

How's about we press the reset button on the emotions, and actually discuss some physics...

those who know... keep in mind, not everyone knows this stuff, nor has a background in fluid dynamics... and being dismissed, ridiculed, or spoken down to, tends to get people's hackles up.

Those who don't know, keep in mind, others may know what they are talking about, or may be incorrect. But dismissing, ridiculing, or being discounted off the cuff, tends to get people's hackles up.

More likely, some semantics are being misinterpreted, and the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 04-26-2010, 05:37 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Bonestock, I understand your scepticism, and normally would agree with your general statement.
However, this being an SVX, with an engine that actually works like a pair of three cylinder engines sharing a common crankshaft, an X pipe or balancing is not necessary, or helpful.
I have had about fourteen(?) custom exhausts on my Claret, always in search of "The Perfect Exhaust".
and, as Harvey stated, its sure hard to better the exhaust over stock!

I have removed the factory resonator and not noticed the differance,
BUT several customers with multiple SVXi have,
to the point that they insisted on the re-installation of a resonator.
Who am I to argue with someone who only drives one or two SVXi...
AND REALLY pays attention! John.
Bonestock, perhaps you did not read my post.
The letters in red say something.
Hugs and stuff!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link