Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-16-2002, 08:46 PM
BrianB803

Unhappy Major Problem HELP!

Hello,
I just bought a white 92 SVX and it is a great car I love it. Although on my back from NJ to Troy, I was driving along, loving it and all of a sudden the car turns itself off while I was going 50. By turn itself off I meen the warning lights come on and nothing works So I Pull really hard of the wheel (no powersteering when car is off) and pull over. I then kick it into neutral or park and then turn it back on and it works fine until 30 minutes later till it happens again. This has happend 6 times in many different situations. Once after I turned it on for two minutes without using it and then it happend, once while stopping at a toll booth on the through way, once going 70 on the throughway, and a few more random times. The thing that worries me is that there is no noticable pattern and then everything works fine after I turn it back on for a while. If anyone has any ideas I would GREATLY appreciate it. Have a greta day and thanks for your help.

-Brian
Old 08-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Brian,
Welcome to the nuthouse! I drove through NJ just a week or so ago in my "new" (2nd) SVX.

Sounds to me like you need to have your alternator checked. First of all, check your battery cables for connections and corrosion. Also check the connection on top of the alternator. Make sure it's clean and tight. If all the connections are tight, take it to your local Autozone, and they'll check your charging system for free.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 08-17-2002, 10:01 AM
BrianB803

OK. It is still happening. I think I have ruled out an electrical problem and came up with the reason I think is wrong. You know when you are driving a standard car and it stalls or you pop the clutch? It is the same effect here. But I thought that you can't do that to an automatic. Please advise. Thank you and have a great day.

-Brian
Old 08-17-2002, 11:25 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Brian,
I wish I could help, but sheesh, if you've ruled out an electrical problem, I don't know what it could be. The "popping the clutch" scenario is confusing to me, not being there, so, well . . .

Perhaps Beav would know. You may try PMing him.

Sorry I couldn't offer more assistance.

(Just for the record, any time you unhook your battery, make sure your radio door is OPEN. If not, and you have a CD in the unit, it will wedge against the door, and be a reall booger to get out)
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI