How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM

Registered SVX
How do I remove wires from harness connectors?

How do I remove the wires from these type of connectors?
It feels like if I just yank its going to break the wire.
They seem to have some metal bit connected to the end of the wire.
Do I need some extractor tool?

What do you call the connectors?
I cant search for a solution because I don't know what they are called.

I can get what I thought was the lock thing up (pictured above), but I still cant just pull the wire out. Or do I just pull really hard?

When it comes to putting wires into these connectors (power mode mod), do i just jam a wire in or do i need to buy some metal end piece like these seem to have on the wires?
Old 04-10-2010, 01:57 PM
Phil & Belha

Re: How do I remove wires from harness connectors?

After undoing the flaps on the back push a sewing needle into the front above the pin you want to remove. Lift the little plastic finger that hangs down and engages into the top of the pin. The pull the wire out from the back.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II

Last edited by b3lha; 04-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:09 PM

Ok some of these connectors are tricky which is why most people will just tap into a wiring rather than re-pin. I did a very basic graphic of how most of these style connectors should work. There are some automotive connectors though that once the pin is unlocked they push forward and come out the face but I don't think that is the case in the svx. I could be wrong so experiement at your own peril. Once the pin is unlucked it should pull out the back with little effort if you have to pull hard then you risk damaging the pin and pin lock and they won't stay in place when you try to reseat them. Don't make too much fun of my ms paint graphic I just wanted to do something quick to give you an idea.

looks like b3lha beat me to it

Edit: I forgot to mention that sometimes the lock is not part of the socket but part of the connector and would be plastic as b3lha mentioned. I would follow his tips since he has more experience on the svx than I do.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wiring.jpg (28.3 KB, 358 views)

Last edited by sowise; 04-10-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Registered SVX

WOW thanks for the quick response! Glad I didn't just try and rip and tear.

What do you call this metal connector?

---

What is the black plastic connector called? what type?
Old 04-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

The pins are generically called "pins". That connector shell is called a "plug." The pins for a plug are "receptacle pins."

The opposite gender of connector shell is called a "cap." The pins for that are called "tabs."

BTW, the terms "male" and "female" are not used -- they would be ambiguous (a plug might be thought of as "male" yet the receptacle pins that snap into the plug are "female").

I can't tell for certain, but that plug looks like each pin is held in with a "lance latch" -- a plastic spring that pokes into a recess on one side of the pin. To release the clip, you can use a tiny flat-blade screwdriver to lever the clip up out of the pin.

A pointy object like that safety pin will work, but can tear up the lance if you're not very careful.

There is a different kind of pin that has a metal spring clip on one side. This kind requires inserting a tiny probe to push the spring flat against the pin -- the technique shown in sowise's picture.

As you discovered, the shells can have secondary latches on the rear.

Lookin4SVX, if your shell is the type I think it is, I have the pins (both genders -- receptacles and tabs) and the (very expensive) crimp tool for those.

Last edited by SVXdc; 04-10-2010 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:08 PM

Someone may have that info but it is unlikely. The connectors are difficult to find you usually have to go search for automotive electrical distributors and check catalogs etc.
This website had a pin like what you show:
http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...S%20%20FEMALE/

but I don't know if the wire gage size is correct or the length etc. catalogs will often have drawings of electrical connectors and unless you have the specific measurements or dimensions it could be hit or miss. Also may need a special tool or have soldering skills helps.

Edit: Another way I have seen things referenced is Plug for a FEMALE style can have either pins (m) or sockets (f) and the mate to the plug can be termed a jack MALE with either pins or sockets. Those are typical mil spec references though. Wiring schematics sometimes reference W24 P2 meaning wiring harness #24 connector #2 with plug or W24 J1 all the same with the exception of connector #1 Jack doubt this clears much up though just FYI

Edit to correct mislabels pointed out by Trevor.

Last edited by sowise; 04-10-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:33 PM
Phil & Belha

There's a big 20-pin black connector in kick panel, "B34 Check Connector Manufacturing". It's a diagnostic plug they use for factory testing. Once the car leaves the factory, it's never used again. Whatever diagnostic tool originally plugged in here probably doesn't exist any more.

If you need some pins you can snip them from this plug.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 04-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Radio wiring harness guru
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
This website had a pin like what you show:
[link]
but I don't know if the wire gage size is correct or the length etc. catalogs will often have drawings of electrical connectors and unless you have the specific measurements or dimensions it could be hit or miss.
Yes, exactly. There are literally 1000s of different types of these pins, and most require a very specific crimp tool -- not a generic tool you'll find in auto parts or hardware stores. These are really intended for assembly-line production, and most of the suppliers want to sell them in quantities in the tens of thousands (I speak from experience )
Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 PM

Registered SVX

Whatever --- the method of removing the connectors from an outer housing is not that obvious, and a "how too " would be very worthwhile.

Regardless of political correctness, the exact and universal term of male and female should be used in order to prevent confusion. This should be applied in respect of the final point of connection, rather than the housing, which is correctly described as a plug or a receptacle/socket. Pins are male, and usually round or flat. A terminal is just that, any means of providing an end connection and should not be confused with a pin.

A jack is and always has been a male, the term originating in the early telephone era, i.e. it is a plug which is inserted into a socket. It was usual for ladies to deftly handle many jacks when operating manual switchboards. Them were the days.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-10-2010, 06:45 PM

A jack is and always has been a male, the term originating in the early telephone era, i.e. it is a plug which is inserted into a socket. It was usual for ladies to deftly handle many jacks when operating manual switchboards. Them were the days.[/QUOTE]

You are correct my mistake, I had the images in my head but typed them wrong. A Jack is a male connector and Plug is the female connector. I should stop to think before typing or proof read but such is life...

Here are some circular jacks and plugs as example. Great for mil-spec harness mods.
Attached Images
File Type: gif circular_38999III_image.gif (23.4 KB, 285 views)
Old 04-10-2010, 07:09 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowise View Post
A jack is and always has been a male, the term originating in the early telephone era, i.e. it is a plug which is inserted into a socket. It was usual for ladies to deftly handle many jacks when operating manual switchboards. Them were the days.

You are correct my mistake, I had the images in my head but typed them wrong. A Jack is a male connector and Plug is the female connector. I should stop to think before typing or proof read but such is life...

Here are some circular jacks and plugs as example. Great for mil-spec harness mods.
No, no, a plug is always male. Note the difference between the housing and the point of connection. Here is where confusion in terms often occurs. An outer plug can contain female connectors. The point of final connection should hold precedence.

That said it is wise to use the term "connector" or "plug/socket" in such cases, rather than "plug" and "socket".

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 PM

[QUOTE=Trevor;642180]No, no, a plug is always male. Note the difference between the housing and the point of connection. Here is where confusion in terms often occurs. An outer plug can contain female connectors. The point of final connection should hold precedence.QUOTE]

Actually the way I corrected it is correct, a plug is not always male. If you prefer to use that term to simplify things that is your choice however a jack male connector goes into the female plug connector. This is in reference specifically to the type I posted a picture of. Though I do see how it could be confusing. Also pins are male and sockets are female, either can be installed in a plug or jack depending on it's build and function. Some commercial products have to have pins or sockets based on where that connection is such as through a panel it is usually a jack with sockets, the mating harness will be a plug with pins.
Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 PM

Registered SVX

[QUOTE=sowise;642196]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
No, no, a plug is always male. Note the difference between the housing and the point of connection. Here is where confusion in terms often occurs. An outer plug can contain female connectors. The point of final connection should hold precedence.QUOTE]

Actually the way I corrected it is correct, a plug is not always male. If you prefer to use that term to simplify things that is your choice however a jack male connector goes into the female plug connector. This is in reference specifically to the type I posted a picture of. Though I do see how it could be confusing. Also pins are male and sockets are female, either can be installed in a plug or jack depending on it's build and function. Some commercial products have to have pins or sockets based on where that connection is such as through a panel it is usually a jack with sockets, the mating harness will be a plug with pins.
I agree putting all this into words is difficult.

A panel mounted receptacle can not constitute a jack. This is definitive term and is applicable only to what is an entirely male connector.

Commercial products always have the final point of connection arranged to meet regulations designed to prevent electrical shock, and or accidental short circuiting of a disconnected connector. The supply is always arranged via a unit which incorporates female connectors, so as to guard accidental contact. Hence the reason for panel mounted receptacles with male connectors.

P.S. As a matter of general interest. ---

The traditional, but not often understood titles for the twin conductors comprising twin circuit telephone lines, is “tip” and “ring”. The terminology dates back to the telephone jack, as was originally used in manual exchanges, which involves a tip and a sleeve which contacts an outer ring. The object being to unify identification throughout the system, from a single common point.

Last edited by Trevor; 04-10-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: P.S. Added
Old 04-10-2010, 10:08 PM

Registered SVX

Well I used a pin from this spare plug I got with my spare climate control unit.

--

I too can has POWER now!

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Registered SVX

Congratulations.

Good to see someone doing a proper, job rather than cutting into and messing up the original loom and wring. Very often a second hand car which has been in the hands of the wrong person, can be an unreliable and even dangerous mess.