Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2002, 10:37 PM
KUL RIDE

engine oil filter life

A master ASE mechanic I spoke the other day told me a new engine oil filter looses its filtering ability after two weeks or 400 miles, and doubted the benefit over synthetic engine oil due to this reason, unless it was high-reving sports car. What do you think?
Old 08-11-2002, 01:08 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I'm not tying to be a jerk here, but what would happen if I parked my car for those two weeks? It sounds as if this guy just graduated from the "Yesterday I Couldn't Spell 'Mechanic' and Today I are One" school. If they were only good for 'two weeks', why bother putting them on the engine in the first place? I can see the corporate meeting in Dearborn now:

"Hank, we're making too much damn money on these cars, cut our profits back a bit by installing those worthless oil filters on every one of them!"

I promise to be nicer in the future.
Old 08-11-2002, 01:18 AM

Registered SVX
Bull****

Beav, as always you have hit the nail on the head. What a load of crap some of these so called experts give out. The problem is that so many believe without question but this has not happened in this case.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-11-2002, 08:47 AM

I second, or third or ...whatever Beav said.

Also, if the filters were somehow blocked up so the bypass valve had to open, isn't that exactly the time you would want synthetics?

I think this guy was out to lunch from both directions.
Old 08-11-2002, 08:54 AM
Ticallion

Well... it actually depends on what brand of oil filter you use if you use FRAM or Canadian Tire brand... Then no doubt, they're made out of cardboard or really crappy paper that breaks up into chunks and does NOTHING with regards to filtering after about a couple hours of running oil through it. Your best bet is to always replace your oil filter with BOSCH. BOSCH is always about QUALITY. You'll never have a problem.
Old 08-11-2002, 10:16 AM

Fram certainly seems a popular flame target. That said, my daughter drives a Toyota with over 145K miles most using Fram filters, chaning oil somewhere between 3K and 6K (she's not he most religious about this sort of thing). Only repairs have been to the alternaor and radiator.

I used to read the comparisons all the time becuase I was interested in preserving an old Norton motorcycle I've had for 27 years now. The one thing in common most comparisons have had was a preference for the Champion brand. More recent auto comparisons also seem to favor Champion (they make Mobil 1, K&N and maybe others). This is not the spark plug people by the way.

One of the better studies on the net I know of is at

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart1.htm

Maybe others have found something better.
Old 08-11-2002, 11:31 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I guess it would make a lot of difference if the filter was going to be left in place for 20k-30k miles. If you use clean fuel, decent oil (and like oil filters, any oil is better than no oil) and a good air filter (hopefully the oil you use is already clean, unlike the ambient air) just about any filter will do an adequate job. Now all bets are off if you have a propensity to run without an air or fuel filter or dump sand and/or other debris in the crankcase.
Old 08-12-2002, 02:36 PM
SVX Animated Icon Guy!

Send a message via ICQ to htyei Send a message via AIM to htyei Send a message via Yahoo to htyei
fram filters

I read a oil filter article somewhere, where a independent guy, subjectively measured the effectiveness of different oil filters.

A fram engineer even wrote in about how he stopped using fram once he saw their quality assurance process

That said, I currently use an AC-Delco one, it seems quieter than the FRAM one I had before. I used remember sucking sounds before.
http://www.svxwrx.com
Old 08-12-2002, 07:22 PM
CGLathrop

What a filter designer said...

My wifes step-father has been working in the paper industry for years. He has many patents (spelling?) on differnt paper products He said that the dirtier a filter gets.. the better it cleans.. untill it slows the flow too much of course. Most of the filters out there will actually do a good job up to about 7500 miles. Most oils are actually good for about 5000 miles. the real reason the companies tell you to change out the oil and filter at 3000 is they want you to spend more money. I dont remember which companies buy the filter that his company makes, but it is several.

Im sure this will get a few good (or bad) replies..

Chris
Old 08-12-2002, 07:45 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
I've used nothing but Fram on my car for 146,000 miles. I don't care what these self-appointed experts say - Fram couldn't stay in business if their product was as bad as I have seen some make it out to be.

That said, I use Fram because many years ago (about 15) Consumers Reports tested filters and Fram came out on top - by a bit. It is possible (probable?) that the others have caught up, but who cares?

More recent Consumers Reports articles basically say none of this matters - brand of oil or brand of filter - as long as you change them regularly. They did a test on NYC taxis for 50,000 miles and disassembled the engines afterward to look for wear. They found NO appreciable difference.

On another note - what year/model is your Norton? I have a 1969 Triumph T100C that I have had since almost new - 32 years now.

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
Fram certainly seems a popular flame target. That said, my daughter drives a Toyota with over 145K miles most using Fram filters, chaning oil somewhere between 3K and 6K (she's not he most religious about this sort of thing). Only repairs have been to the alternaor and radiator.

I used to read the comparisons all the time becuase I was interested in preserving an old Norton motorcycle I've had for 27 years now. The one thing in common most comparisons have had was a preference for the Champion brand. More recent auto comparisons also seem to favor Champion (they make Mobil 1, K&N and maybe others). This is not the spark plug people by the way.

One of the better studies on the net I know of is at

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-o...n-oilpart1.htm

Maybe others have found something better.
Old 08-12-2002, 08:37 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

That said, I use Fram because many years ago (about 15) Consumers Reports tested filters and Fram came out on top - by a bit. It is possible (probable?) that the others have caught up, but who cares?

More recent Consumers Reports articles basically say none of this matters - brand of oil or brand of filter - as long as you change them regularly. They did a test on NYC taxis for 50,000 miles and disassembled the engines afterward to look for wear. They found NO appreciable difference.

I agree - The only filter that was nixed by CR, years ago, was one made by Hastings that seemed to be stuffed with cotton batting.
Perhaps as engines have become smaller & higher reving, a filter's demands have changed, but I tend to believe no ONE company has the magic bullet. Anyone notice how frequently the toothbrush is re-invented? Every week we get different angled & colored bristles, different angled handles, battery powered rotating tips, etc. etc.
Point is, if you brush your teeth at all, they're less likely to eventually fall out, than if you don't bother to brush. They may be punched out by someone who didn't care for the odor, but that's another story. HYPE! - it's the American way.

Oh - why does my B & S tractor mower engine still run fine after 16 years with NO filter?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:23 PM
Boone

I used Fram and Castrol Syntec for 286K on my '86 Saab 900 Turbo. No oil related problems ever. I only sold it when I realized I had enough $$$$$ for a '96 SVX.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:27 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Ron - I think it all has to do with tolerances. If I remember correctly, Consumers Reports said that it was unnecessary to filter out particles smaller than 20 microns (I think that was the number) because that was smaller than the engine tolerances and the "oil film" thickness and therefore cannot wear the engine. Fram and, I believe 2 others, were the only ones to filter out particles down to 20 microns.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Oh - why does my B & S tractor mower engine still run fine after 16 years with NO filter?

Ron.
Old 08-13-2002, 06:47 AM

I read some of the filter test articles yesterday and decided to see what Walmart carried other than Fram. I was hoping to find the ACDelco that was recommended as a reasonably good design at a fair price. However, other than Fram they only carry their house brand but it uses a seemingly better filter medium, similar to Mobil1, and boasts a very good filtering efficiency using the new and more stringent standard J1858. For less than $2 I decided to give it a try. I also picked up some Synthetic oil for $2.40/qt which seemed like a good buy since it was $2 less than Mobil1.

Does anyone have any experience with these products?
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 08-13-2002, 12:16 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX
I have used WalMart products and have been very happy with them. I like the price as well.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872