Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Suspension
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2009, 10:05 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: STI struts, what will work?

I was not trying to insult you at all, I myself am actually very "cheap" when it comes to a lot of things, ex. I don't go to movies in the theater and only occasionally rent, I've only purchased about 20 cds in my life and most of those came from BMG music or whatever at an avg cost of $4 per, I hardly ever eat out or eat fast food, choose not to go to the bars and if I do go with friends only limit myself to 1 or 2 beers most times, do not have any of the 3 newer video game systems and have bought only 1 new game for my older systems in the last 2 years, still live at home because I can do as I please and I help my parents out with things to keep them happy, I could keep going but I think you get the point and then some.

But there are some things that I will gladly go out and spend money on if I really want them or make myself think I "need" them. And I was simply explaining in my first post that many people on this forum are very short with other members because they get frustrated that many people, especially lately, are looking for the cheapest possible route or just trying to do quick fixes instead of taking care of the real problem at hand.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dromano View Post
WTF does the price of a house have to do with an 18 year old car? This better be good!
I have to agree with you on this one. Vehicles, for the most part, decrease in value while houses, until recently, constantly appreciate in value and even from now house prices will go back to where they were. Just might take awhile.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:20 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I was not trying to insult you at all, I myself am actually very "cheap" when it comes to a lot of things, ex. I don't go to movies in the theater and only occasionally rent, I've only purchased about 20 cds in my life and most of those came from BMG music or whatever at an avg cost of $4 per, I hardly ever eat out or eat fast food, choose not to go to the bars and if I do go with friends only limit myself to 1 or 2 beers most times, do not have any of the 3 newer video game systems and have bought only 1 new game for my older systems in the last 2 years, still live at home because I can do as I please and I help my parents out with things to keep them happy, I could keep going but I think you get the point and then some.

But there are some things that I will gladly go out and spend money on if I really want them or make myself think I "need" them. And I was simply explaining in my first post that many people on this forum are very short with other members because they get frustrated that many people, especially lately, are looking for the cheapest possible route or just trying to do quick fixes instead of taking care of the real problem at hand.
When I'm facing an expensive maintenance, replacement or repair item I check out all possibilities, I don't want to spend any more than necessary. I am 68 years old, still do major maintenance on my SVX and will continue to do so till not physically able. In the past week I pulled the front of the motor to reseal the oil pump and replace the crank oil seal. Also did the svxfiles rear suspension mod on the sway bar bushings. Prior to that I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the cam oil seals. Before that I replaced all brake pads. I'm cheap not stupid.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:33 AM

Send a message via AIM to zavikan

and I decided to look in this thread....The title was interesting, and the fact that there were 17 posts in it made it look promising.

But no. Just overly polite stubborn people disagreeing over and over. I like a nice low heat too, but come on, we need some FLAME here...

+1 post count
'92 Liquid Silver SVX - Drilled&Slotted Rotors/Canadian OEM Seat Warmers/JDM Folding Mirrors/JDM Clear Corners/Euro Glass Headlights/Euro Headlight Level Adjustment/Euro Shifter Assembly/ECUTune Chip V.1/GARAGE QUEEN!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

Wooo e-yelling!

And that was me that's working on putting STi suspension into my SVX, although I've now revised it to 02-07 WRX fitment. I'm still planning on doing it, but for what I'm going to end up paying and the work involved, it will be hundreds of dollars cheaper and many days less work to get Tom to build you a set of Koni/GC coils. The reasoning is this:

1. I'm buying a set of Stance dual height adjustable coilovers, with an MSRP around $1500. $1800 if I decide to go balls deep and buy the aluminum body ones. You will need dual height adjustable coils because WRX struts are a couple inches longer in the rear. Without maximum control of the cars ride height you'll end up with the arse end sticking up like a stink bug.

2. Massive labour and customization. the knuckles all need to be thinned down, which I will do in a machining center (my school). This means removing all 4 knuckles, possibly disassembling the bearings to remove the hubs...That alone will be days of work. Then you need to drill new holes into the SVX body to accomodate the different upper strut mounts of the WRX. And when you think you're all done, bam. You also need to weld a bracket onto the front lower control arm and get a custom set of front endlinks. Reason for this is that the WRX struts do not have a bracket for the endlink.

I'm still working on doing it (slowly) but it's not a quick or cheap process. There is absolutely no practical reason for me to do this, I just like trying things that haven't been done before.

So Tom is right. You can't replace the suspension in an SVX for cheap and be happy with the results.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-16-2009, 10:31 AM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
They are 13-18 years old and are going to need work and things replaced.
You said it before I did.

The bottom line with my analogy is that when you pick up a ~$50k (2009 USD) car for less than $10k, you should expect it's going to need investments via time and cash if you expect it to emulate a ~$50k car.

IMHO, this is a lot like picking up a home that needs updating, new major appliances and such compared to buying one that's "ready to move into". One costs less, but will cost you more if you expect it to be like the other.

You guys look too deeply into stuff.

Regarding my Impreza bit, if you don't fit into one of those, surely there is another common, inexpensive and much newer car that you can fit in. You simply can't ***** about the SVX having few options and scarcity for parts or their respective typically high prices. It's part of the territory. You simply have to accept it. This has been said before in this thread; I'm lucky enough to get the honor of repeating it, I guess.

It's pretty damned frustrating seeing the repeated tales of woe when the realization arrives that the entry cost does not fairly reflect the maintenance cost. It's the kind of thing that makes a thread like <this one> make perfect sense.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Wooo e-yelling!

And that was me that's working on putting STi suspension into my SVX, although I've now revised it to 02-07 WRX fitment. I'm still planning on doing it, but for what I'm going to end up paying and the work involved, it will be hundreds of dollars cheaper and many days less work to get Tom to build you a set of Koni/GC coils. The reasoning is this:

1. I'm buying a set of Stance dual height adjustable coilovers, with an MSRP around $1500. $1800 if I decide to go balls deep and buy the aluminum body ones. You will need dual height adjustable coils because WRX struts are a couple inches longer in the rear. Without maximum control of the cars ride height you'll end up with the arse end sticking up like a stink bug.

2. Massive labour and customization. the knuckles all need to be thinned down, which I will do in a machining center (my school). This means removing all 4 knuckles, possibly disassembling the bearings to remove the hubs...That alone will be days of work. Then you need to drill new holes into the SVX body to accomodate the different upper strut mounts of the WRX. And when you think you're all done, bam. You also need to weld a bracket onto the front lower control arm and get a custom set of front endlinks. Reason for this is that the WRX struts do not have a bracket for the endlink.

I'm still working on doing it (slowly) but it's not a quick or cheap process. There is absolutely no practical reason for me to do this, I just like trying things that haven't been done before.

So Tom is right. You can't replace the suspension in an SVX for cheap and be happy with the results.
Thanks for the great info. Is least cost R&R'ing OEM struts? The leak issue seems to be a big draw back. 18 years & 117k miles causes me to think I need to be ready to replace the originals.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiuludeSVX View Post
Mine has cost me a bit to keep going, but that is not a complaint. As you said, it has never left me stranded.

I picked up my '92 over 4 years ago, and it now has almost 277K riding on the struts, but they get switched out next week. Oem
Do you know the cost and the oem parts you will use? I have never worked on strut replacement, new territory for me.

Checking a few Subaru parts sellers the price looks to be around $500-$600 for 4 oem struts.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

I'll weigh in on this one.

I too have saggy struts in the back and am exploring my options for replacement. I'd love to hear more options available to us. The Koni setup is worth the money from the reviews I've read, however I can not sacrifice ride height. I already scrape bottom constantly. OEM sounds like the only way to keep my ride height, but I'd like to reduce body roll and break dive if possible.

When parts break on my car, I try to improve on the faults exposed by the break. Struts are one area that I think many here believe can be improved. But so far I've only heard of two options (Koni/GC and OEM) and neither seem like the best setup.

I'd gladly pay Koni/GC prices if I thought I'd be happier with them than OEM, but if I can't get into or out of my driveway without smashing my underbelly then it isn't worth a penny to me.

So the post title says it all: "What will work?"
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Checking a few Subaru parts sellers the price looks to be around $500-$600 for 4 oem struts.
And at that price you only get a year warranty that the seals will hold (not including your labor if you do it yourself). I'm as cheap as anyone here. Not a single vehicle in my current fleet cost over $2025 and my daily driver cost me all of $146.50 but the reality is vehicles cost money to maintain and keep safe. Struts are a safety item as you don't handle as well and don't brake as well with worn struts. I agree that it doesn't always make sense to put a new engine in an 18 year old car but if your car runs fine, doesn't have rot beyond all safety concerns and will last you another 20k more than likely than put the money into it. If you think you can for that $1200 go find yourself a car which runs as well, is as safe and has new shocks by all means that is the cheap way to go but any $1200 car I've ever driven has definately had its share of issues that will in the end cost you money (esp. one you're buying from a stranger.

FTR isn't the koni set around $800 at classicgarage?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post

I too have saggy struts in the back and am exploring my options for replacement. I'd love to hear more options available to us. The Koni setup is worth the money from the reviews I've read, however I can not sacrifice ride height. I already scrape bottom constantly. OEM sounds like the only way to keep my ride height, but I'd like to reduce body roll and break dive if possible.

When parts break on my car, I try to improve on the faults exposed by the break. Struts are one area that I think many here believe can be improved. But so far I've only heard of two options (Koni/GC and OEM) and neither seem like the best setup.

I'd gladly pay Koni/GC prices if I thought I'd be happier with them than OEM, but if I can't get into or out of my driveway without smashing my underbelly then it isn't worth a penny to me.

Have you done any of the suspension mods?: 15 & 20 minute, Earthworm's polyurathane bushings? I have done the 15 & 20 minute, made a huge difference in handling.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 PM

I think you're a little mis informed as the koni strut inserts do not change your ride height. With the gc coilover set up it may but not with the stock spring.

I too was happy to go with the stock strut on my rarely used SVX (now elsewhere) and replaced with oem. Moved my koni fronts that I had to our racer. Fronts were fine, rears lasted a couple hundred miles until the failed, subaru replaced under warranty, these lasted a couple hundred miles and subaru didn't replace under warranty as it was over a year since the originals were purchased. I simply found some still working old oem shocks to put on it. At least they don't blow seals!

Definately not an economical solution imo esp. considering that they're a pita to replace back there.

That said a stut is a strut is a strut. You can always take the measurements and go shopping based on that or I'm sure some of the makers would be happy to make you one for a price! Just ordered myself some custom AVO coilover shocks for my TVR. You don't want to know the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post

Old 10-16-2009, 02:49 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
Wooo e-yelling!

Chris,

Seems to me as I look at a SPT/STI catalog there are 5 different sets of strut springs for the WRX that might fit our SVX struts. Did yt say "NO"?
Old 10-16-2009, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Chris,

Seems to me as I look at a SPT/STI catalog there are 5 different sets of strut springs for the WRX that might fit our SVX struts. Did yt say "NO"?
Will they fit? Yes, will you need to do lots of homework to find the desired ride height? Yes, as Crazy said the SVX hub is about 5mm wider than any other Subaru save the STi and you need to do lots of work to get one on there. The rears are about 5 inches too long meaning you look quite like a grasshopper. I know simply because we did it to our racer years ago. In the end we ended up with a front wrx strut up from around 2001 in the rear and could make it work with the spring we had. Then again I wouldn't recommend the set up to anybody with a car that weighed the 1000lbs more a stock SVX weighs then our racer. Had I had the money and could buy just the rear konis I would've done that 5x before using just 1/2 of my a@@.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Will they fit? Yes, will you need to do lots of homework to find the desired ride height? Yes, as Crazy said the SVX hub is about 5mm wider than any other Subaru save the STi and you need to do lots of work to get one on there. The rears are about 5 inches too long meaning you look quite like a grasshopper. I know simply because we did it to our racer years ago. In the end we ended up with a front wrx strut up from around 2001 in the rear and could make it work with the spring we had. Then again I wouldn't recommend the set up to anybody with a car that weighed the 1000lbs more a stock SVX weighs then our racer. Had I had the money and could buy just the rear konis I would've done that 5x before using just 1/2 of my a@@.
In the early 60's when my ride was a 60 Impala, the grasshopper look was "it"