How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 10-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Looks and smells great.

Re: Buell: Ceasing Production

Can't say that I'm sad to see Beull go, but at least Erik tried to push innovation.

Harleys, on the other hand, are nothing but chrome-dipped fashion statements for those with more money than sense and self-esteem. Unless paying more money than a Japanese cruiser for a bike with less power, less performance (braking, cornering, etc.), higher maintenance, and lower fuel economy is your thing.

What really pisses me off about both companies is that the USA used to be at the forefront of motorcycle technology. Now, the only reason to buy American is either due to an overdeveloped sense of patriotism or for sheer nostalgia. I know we can do better than that, but there doesn't seem to be anyone out there trying (OK, Buell did try; he just failed to make a bike nearly as competetive as a GSX-R and his bikes cost more, to boot).
1992 LSL Pearlie: 108k, 15min/$15 mod, Alternator wiring "upgrade," Power Mode switch, K&N drop-in, 4500k 35w low-beam HIDs, 3000k 35w fog HIDs, lots more planned (pending funds, of course)- 4.44 5spd being at the top of the list.
"We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
-C.S. Lewis
Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 PM

As I posted on autoblog earlier...

I think Erik Buell needs a new corporate vehicle. Leave the ties to HD far behind.

I think he should team-up with Michael Czysz, and help develop the MotoCzysz C1, and perhaps some more road-bike models for production. Building bikes to sell helps pay to build bikes to race.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to redlinedeath Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Dub View Post

Normally I'm cursing about the crotch rockets blazing past my house at full speed, passing on the double yellow through a residential neighborhood and being a general menace to the community..

gosh, its so annoying that morons on sport bikes give people like me and other sport bike enthusiasts bad names by being wreckless and just plain dumb. i love sportbikes, i love the handling, i love the sound, but thanks to alot of people, the opinion of this group of riders is... well, its not good.

as for buell, its really sad to hear, they were doing really really well at the beginning of the ama season this year! which is better then when i went to road america for superbike weekend in 06, not one bike finished a race from buell! ive always had loads of respect for Eric Buell, and his bikes and work, but i always thought the downfall was the motors that were in them. i think that given the oppertunity, whatever products he works on will be better then the buells by leaps and bounds! good look to him!
Old 10-21-2009, 10:20 AM
Headin' for the hills

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by redlinedeath View Post
gosh, its so annoying that morons on sport bikes give people like me and other sport bike enthusiasts bad names by being wreckless and just plain dumb. i love sportbikes, i love the handling, i love the sound, but thanks to alot of people, the opinion of this group of riders is... well, its not good.
I used to ride back in Colorado. I never rode in the city, and it was a great recreation for weekends in the mountains. Since moving to LA I would never consider joining the bike culture in this town. Everybody either thinks they're Rough Riders, or Hells Angels. The laws are bent in favor of this attitude allowing folks to ride between lanes on the freeway, and speeding so poorly enforced. Add to that living in Topanga Canyon which is a very popular road for riding. It's like if they took the Tail Of The Dragon, and put it smack in the middle of North America's second largest urban area. Every week another knee dragger puts himself down in front of my house, and the only remorse I feel is because it screws up my commute. I now harbor a deep distain for bikers here as is probably evident in my post. I miss riding sometimes, and envy you folks who can get that freedom without imposing yourself on others. Perhaps when I make it out of here I'll find myself on a bike once again.

As for Buell, it's a shame to see them go. Now if only they would take all the LA bikers with them, then there'd be a silver lining.
'92 LS-L "Bandit" #362 formerly dark teal, repainted by prev owner
Mods: ECUTune 2v7f, Earthworm bushings, Pioneer DVD/Bluetooth phone, Infinity Reference all around, tint, 17" wheels, custom seat belt computer, velcro visor

Buying parts is like car payments. Someday she'll be all mine.
Old 10-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

In every community there are hard men and there are fools. The biking community is no different in this, unless you take the view that there may be a higher percentage of reckless fools in biking, due to the adrenalin and BS levels involved.

We were biking in Wales two years ago. Similar to your Topanga canyon there are lovely hill roads north of Cardiff and many of the locals we spoke to were obviously perturbed by the weekend city guys on sports bikes coming up for a rip through the hills at an illegal and probably dangerous pace. So same story there as LA I'd say.

Some of the hard core sports bike guys give the whole of our biking brethren a bad name. They might be 10% of bikers, but they earn us 100% of the bad press and police and community attention. I really can't feel sorry for these guys if they fall off or are caught for speeding. I like speed myself, but I don't go for foolhardy or reckless. Peoples' lives and welfare are too important to me, including my own.

Joe

BTW, we can filter through lanes here legally, having a bike stop in log jam traffic just like it was a car or a bus is really stupid.
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
Can't say that I'm sad to see Beull go, but at least Erik tried to push innovation.

Harleys, on the other hand, are nothing but chrome-dipped fashion statements for those with more money than sense and self-esteem. Unless paying more money than a Japanese cruiser for a bike with less power, less performance (braking, cornering, etc.), higher maintenance, and lower fuel economy is your thing.

What really pisses me off about both companies is that the USA used to be at the forefront of motorcycle technology. Now, the only reason to buy American is either due to an overdeveloped sense of patriotism or for sheer nostalgia. I know we can do better than that, but there doesn't seem to be anyone out there trying (OK, Buell did try; he just failed to make a bike nearly as competetive as a GSX-R and his bikes cost more, to boot).
I disagree, I've had jap bikes, A Road king and a Buell. I've worked and customized my bikes So i can tell a huge difference between parts on metric and harleys.(generally metrics/ jap bikes are lighter cause they use a lot of plastic parts) Now I have the Vrod...best bike Harley (and Porsche) ever built IMHO.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Hmmm. I have exactly 7 plastic parts on my Honda, vinyl seat, 2 seat covers, a tach and a speedo and 2 cable sleaves. Sure is alot huh? I have 10 or so "friends" who work at the plant in York who will likely loose their jobs if Harley's cost cutting measures take place, even if they did come out with a reasonable weighted XR I'd be hard pressed ever to take a test ride which when I looked at the XR it had more than 7 plastic bits on it. Plastic I can deal with so long as it is durable and lasts, chrome is a horrible crash protector anyway you look at it on a bike. I'd rather be able to avoid that accident then have a 700 bike lying onto of me wouldn't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight'sSVX View Post
I disagree, I've had jap bikes, A Road king and a Buell. I've worked and customized my bikes So i can tell a huge difference between parts on metric and harleys.(generally metrics/ jap bikes are lighter cause they use a lot of plastic parts) Now I have the Vrod...best bike Harley (and Porsche) ever built IMHO.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Hmmm. I have exactly 7 plastic parts on my Honda, vinyl seat, 2 seat covers, a tach and a speedo and 2 cable sleaves. Sure is alot huh? I have 10 or so "friends" who work at the plant in York who will likely loose their jobs if Harley's cost cutting measures take place, even if they did come out with a reasonable weighted XR I'd be hard pressed ever to take a test ride which when I looked at the XR it had more than 7 plastic bits on it. Plastic I can deal with so long as it is durable and lasts, chrome is a horrible crash protector anyway you look at it on a bike. I'd rather be able to avoid that accident then have a 700 bike lying onto of me wouldn't you?
That's why I have a Vrod.
I have nothing against jap bikes, as I learned to ride on a Ninja and my first cruiser was an m50 that I enjoyed modding. I also had standard bikes like the cb400 and cb750. Just as an example Have u ever sat on an M109?(764lbs curb weight) or an 1800VTX? those things are huge, bulky and heavy. Not all metric and jap bikes are lightweight. BTW, my response orig was directed at Zandar who obviously never owned a Harley, otherwise he would've been able to compare both. Oh and please dont turn this into a plastic debate, as harley also uses plastic/ fiberglass parts. My Vrod muscle has fiberglass fenders and airbox cover. Harley parts are just inherently more robust and solid hence the weight. ( you know what I'm talking about if you work on both types of bikes, American and metrics. Oh and BTW, my CHROME engine guard saved me from a lot of $$$ in damages and also saved my right leg when I went down due to sand on the road.

Last edited by knight'sSVX; 11-06-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: added info

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: